Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

breathable or non-breathable underlay

• 19-08-2008 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Ventilated roof about to go on a low pitch lean-to single storey structure. Is there any advantage to having a breathable underlay such as tyvek given that it will be a cold roof system (insulation between the rafters and slabbed insulation on the ceiling side) - assuming the necessary 50mm gap between insulation and underlay?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

short answer no.
    theoretically the air gap vents any build up of water vapour / condensation away, so theres no need to have a breathable felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 groober

Thanks for the reply, its much appreciated. I know I would need a breathable underlay if I decided on a non-ventilated roof instead, do you know how much extra work is involved in structuring such a roof? Is it simply a matter of not having vents in the fascia and soffit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

A low pitch lean-too roof can be difficult to ventilate at ridge / pararet.

A warm roof should be counter-battened.
    Insulation above the rafters is preferrable but can be difficult to install on roof, health and safety etc.

Longer fixings, to go thru counter-batten, insulation, and into rafter.

Some Roofers like to lay osb or ply over rafters, then 25 - 50mm foil insulation, breather-felt,then counter-battens, slating battens and slates.

Extra cost = longer roof fixings and counter-battens.

Thanks RKQ,
    Thats a helpful outline but a warm roof is not going to be an option for me at this stage. Am I on the right track with my understanding of a cold non-ventilated roof (i.e simply not putting vents on the soffit)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

You have to ventilate - every time .

Option 1 - non breathing felt . Condensation will form on its underside - you must vent below the felt min 50 airspace . 25mm continuous inlet strip at eaves and 5mm continuous outlet at top

Option 2 - breathing felt .
    A little complex this - bear with me . Some felt manufacturers claim you need no vents BUT BEWARE . There have been failures . I have seen this with my own eyes . Condensation literally dripping of so called breather felt . Admittedly , new building , drying out , mid December .

When using breather felt you must provide a 50mm vent space ABOVE the felt . You achieve this by using counter-battens ( placed directly over and in line with the rafters ) and then battens across . AND STILL - 25mm continuous inlet strip at eaves and 5mm continuous outlet at top .

• Advertisement

Very helpful. I think I am happy at this stage to go the vented structure with the non-breather ensuring the 50mm gap.
    Thank you both very much.

Advertisement