Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fab Fusion (and Jazz Club)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

/Runs out to buy Spectrum ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Great stuff there !! :cool: Here's one of my favourite bands. I suppose you could call it fusion, but it's really the band's own unique music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkLucK2OyT4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

I love you Mike65! Just made my afternoon:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Rigsby wrote: »
    Great stuff there !! :cool: Here's one of my favourite bands. I suppose you could call it fusion, but it's really the band's own unique music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkLucK2OyT4

Reminds me of Soft Machine from early 70s (showing my age here).

Desmo wrote: »
    Reminds me of Soft Machine from early 70s (showing my age here).

Ah ! "Soft Machine" another of my favourites. I've great memories of seeing them live in Liberty Hall (yes, you read that right :D ) around 1970.

You are not the only "elder lemon" around here ! ;)

• Advertisement

Ah ! "Soft Machine" another of my favourites. I've great memories of seeing them live in Liberty Hall (yes, you read that right :D ) around 1970.

You are not the only "elder lemon" around here ! ;)

I missed seeing them a few years later; I wanted to go but I was only in school (maybe 1975 or 1976) and was broke and did not go in the end. Which line up did you see? (Hopper, Rattledge, Dean?)? I think the gig I wanted to see was also liberty hall. It would have had Jenkins and maybe Etheridge on Guitar (or Holdsworth) and John Marshall. Ahhhhhh happy daze :-)

I missed seeing them a few years later; I wanted to go but I was only in school (maybe 1975 or 1976) and was broke and did not go in the end. Which line up did you see? (Hopper, Rattledge, Dean?)? I think the gig I wanted to see was also liberty hall. It would have had Jenkins and maybe Etheridge on Guitar (or Holdsworth) and John Marshall. Ahhhhhh happy daze :-)

I think the line up I saw was Hopper, Rattledge. Jenkins, Marshall and ( I think ) Etheridge. I'd never seen or heard anything like them at the time. I always remember that not one of them smiled or spoke for the whole concert. :D It did n't bother me as the music spoke for itself. I still have some of their albums on vinyl. "Bundles" is a favourite.

I think the line up I saw was Hopper, Rattledge. Jenkins, Marshall and ( I think ) Etheridge. I'd never seen or heard anything like them at the time. I always remember that not one of them smiled or spoke for the whole concert. :D It did n't bother me as the music spoke for itself. I still have some of their albums on vinyl. "Bundles" is a favourite.

Bundles had a humungous Holdsworth guitar solo but is one of the only SM albums I do not have. I recently got 3,4 and 6 on CD and about half of it is still wonderful and has not dated. There is also a pile of vids on youtube including one with footage of the band rehearsing the first track on vol 4. My all time favourite track is Gesolreut from vol. 6 (fuzzbox organ, weird time signature, fantastic John Marshall drumming, baritone sax, repetitive bass, two pianos, what more could ya ask for :-).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I feel quite young reading this :)

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    I feel quite young reading this :)

Mike.

:D:D

Bands nowadays are not like they were in the "old days". :pac:

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3reb0YImXs

Great stuff ! Almost brought a tear to my eye watching that. ;)

They were the seminal jazz/fusion band. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Rigsby wrote:
    Ah ! "Soft Machine" another of my favourites. I've great memories of seeing them live in Liberty Hall (yes, you read that right ) around 1970.

You are not the only "elder lemon" around here !

Jaysus I didn't know people born before 1980 could use the internet :p

Well, which Soft Machine album should a SM newbie like myself go out and buy?

Daddio wrote: »
    Jaysus I didn't know people born before 1980 could use the internet :p

Well, which Soft Machine album should a SM newbie like myself go out and buy?

You'd be surprised what an "elder lemon" can learn when it's in his interest to do so. :D;)

The band's personnel changed fairly often during it's life time. As I stated above, my favourites tended to be the ones with Rathledge (though he was there almost throughout), Jenkins, Hopper, and Marshall. "Bundles" is one of my favourites, though I have n't seen it on cd in Dublin. "Six" and "Seven" are also good. Most of their albums are consistent. They have a few in "Tower" on Wicklow St.

You'd be surprised what an "elder lemon" can learn when it's in his interest to do so. :D;)

The band's personnel changed fairly often during it's life time. As I stated above, my favourites tended to be the ones with Rathledge (though he was there almost throughout), Jenkins, Hopper, and Marshall. "Bundles" is one of my favourites, though I have n't seen it on cd in Dublin. "Six" and "Seven" are also good. Most of their albums are consistent. They have a few in "Tower" on Wicklow St.

All true. Problem is that the sound on some tracks is clearly dated and you may get put off a mile if you list to some of it in the wrong order. For me, of the ones that you can get in e.g. Tower, volume 3 (used to be a double LP) is OLD and badly recorded but has 2 long gem sides (one track per side of an old LP :-) but maybe an acquired taste. It was English 60s/early 70s odd-ball electric jazz with electric piano and organ, electric bass and alto sax. The drummer was Robert Wyatt who was a wild man but also liked to sing and one whole side is a "song", the Moon in June, which is not jazz. It is a quirky late 60s loooonnng song. I listend to it once for old times sake a few months ago on the 46A and will probably never listen to it again. Vol 4 has no singing with same line up and is wild mad electric jazz with a big brass section. It has one "free" track which I cannot listen to any more but the rest is great but, again, maybe an acquired taste. Vol. 5, I have on vinyl and have not listened to in 20 years. Vol. 6 is a double CD, one live, one "dead". The live CD features repetive riff based bass, wonderful drumming, two eletric pianos and long solos on either organ or saxophone. This is all jazz but the bizarre thing is that you can also get vols 1 and 2 which were purely song based. They made mad clever songs that were like English Talking Heads on drugs, 10 years earlier before their time. The later albums got more and more mellow and electric but Bundles was fabulous due to the presence of one Allan Holdsworth, one of the greatest guitarists ever.
    Better stop typing; I guess this is more confusing that helpful :-).

Vladimir who? How in de name of jayzis did you find that? Good stuff.

Nice stuff isn't it? I found those clips last year then forgot how I found them so spent about 20 mins last night entering terms like 70s Jazz, Polish jazz, East European fusion, etc.

Mike.

Its only a small leap from Comrade Vladimir Vasilkov to Klaus Doldingers Passport

Mike.

Loud Bump, or so thats what happened to Patrick Moraz

Mike

• Advertisement

Ok. So lets keep this thread alive. I'm surprised no body ( myself included 'till now :o ) thought to mention "Steps Ahead".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gEcTvoqQYM

Fanteffingtastic. That gadget Brecker played is not normally something I would like but he could probably have played the kazoo well if he had wanted to. His solo is wonderful. The studio album that has that track is worth getting (Magnetic). The first track on that album has a big fat loud Brecker solo to make yer hair stand on end. Nice one Rigsby my good man.

Fanteffingtastic. That gadget Brecker played is not normally something I would like but he could probably have played the kazoo well if he had wanted to. His solo is wonderful. The studio album that has that track is worth getting (Magnetic). The first track on that album has a big fat loud Brecker solo to make yer hair stand on end. Nice one Rigsby my good man.

That gadget is an EWI ( electric wind instrument ) and I never liked it either. Seems kind of cold or something. A lot of the musicians in SA are leaders in their own right, Mike Stern ( his partnership with the late great Bob Berg was great ) and Mike Maineri. All have some great cd's out. Brecker is a sad loss.

Another that springs to mind is Tom Scott's "L. A. Express". I'm not a fan of Scott's later material as it leans more towards smooth jazz. This is the band at their best IMO : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAsDG-Advs8

Massive thread bump for the greatest guitarist ever*

Oh and some more collectivist fusion from Mother Russia

*yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 probicvent

We are a new fusion band from west Clare, love soft machine , Billy Cobham etc. Hard to get gigs round here cause when you say the word fusion publicans run a mile....yet people love it!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GreKZmAIxyo

Meaty bass, Rhodes and sax driven bump (just don't mention In a Silent Way/Bitches Brew! ;) )

Advertisement