Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

portable battery charger- jump starter

Options
  • 19-08-2008 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

hi

can anyone tell me if there is anywhere in dublin city centre where I could buy a battery charger or portable jump starter. My car has a flat battery and dont really know anyone where I live so I guess I need to do it myself. any indication on price do would be great
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your really stuck you could call the AA and they will jump start it for you. No idea what they will charge though.

Other than that the likes of Halfords or Argos might be your best bet to buy a portable jump starter in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Im sure if you ask nicely someone will jump it for ya, If they do drive the car for a good bit to give it a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Just stand on the corner and ask for a jumpstart from a passer by. That's what I did a couple of years ago, but it was outside a restaurant at 1:30pm on a Sunday, so everyone I encountered was a devout christian out for their post-church family meal and therefore wanted nothing to do with a person in need such as myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

But how many people actually carry jump leads in their car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

A good few i would say, i dont but know a good few who do. So thats why i dont have any because i will just ring my mates who do:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I picked up a good one in Maplins for about €30 a few weeks ago. It has a built in air compressor too as well as a 12V socket. It was on half price special though. Halfords and Argos do them too, but more expensive iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,911 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I bought a Halfords one in Liffey Valley.

It didn't work - at all. The bloke behind the counter returned it to stock thinking I was returning it after I'd used it! Beware not to buy an open boxed one there! Ended up getting a Challenge charger in Argos to recharge the battery in question.

As goes the 'who has jump leads' question - if you have them yourself you can supply them for when you find a 'leccy-donor. Unfortunately not much use for the OP though...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sabrina99

thanks guys for replies, am hoping to get one tomorrow on my lunch break!!
    Do you know if any of them can be used straight away or do they all need to be charged for a while first- sorry if that a really stupid question- but totally clueless. how long would you need to drive for to ensure it hasnt ran down again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

bazz26 wrote: »
    But how many people actually carry jump leads in their car?
    I do! Seriously OP, are you not making it more complicated than it is? If my car won't start, I'll just go looking for somebody to help start it. It's not like people are hard to come by in the middle of Dublin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

• Advertisement
Advertisement