Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards doing sean kelly tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Hi Eagle, any update on what your plans are yet ?

Hey,

Yeah i'll be down in the morning, Coming on my own as my club mates have pulled out for different reasons. Should be there for around half nine. The comeragh spin is leaving from the Butlerstown GAA ??

will pm you my phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Is it difficult to find the sports centre when you arrive into Dungavan. I'll be coming from the Limerick direction ut only have directions to the town.

I'm hoping I'll just have to follow the trail of cyclist!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

From Limerick you'll probably be coming in the Cappoquinn/Clonmel road. You'll get to a roundabout with a campus garage on your right.
    Go straight through that roundabout and straight through the traffic lights, this'll bring you into the square.
    Turn right at the traffic lights, you should be going up a hill with a big church at the top.
    Left at the top and the next right and you're there.
    After reading that it actually sounds more complex than it is. It's not a big town and there'll be a trail of cyclists.
    If in doubt keep following the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

They had signs up last year to direct people to the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

penexpers wrote: »
    It entirely depends on what kind of train it is. If it's a commter-style train then forget about it. If it has a guards van, they should take it.

Its a mix between! According to Irish Rail Website its a "Railcar" for both legs which do have spaces to store bikes - vertically funnily enough! I've used them before to get around, Limerick-Dublin-Kilkenny. But the sometimes the ticket sellers can be a be sticky(/plain out refusal) about letting bikes on for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You know there's trains between Limerick and Waterford, right?

penexpers wrote: »
    You know there's trains between Limerick and Waterford, right?
    Er... :confused: what? I was talking about that. Limerick-Limerick Junction-Waterford.

hey, if anyone's up for meeting up tonight in Dungarvan, send me a PM. (don't want to post mobile number in public!). Leaving for Waterford at 2pm'ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Just back at home now. Great day out, well done to all who finished. Great to meet more boardsies (Caroline_ie, LDB, DirkVoodoo, 72Hundred, Quigs Snr). Special mention to Quigs Snr for giving me a pace to work off after the food stop and to Blorg for doing the 160 in 5hr 16! Really nice scenery and brilliantly organised, will be back next year for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

In fairness now I did miss Seskin Hill (accidentally and regrettably.) Group I was with at the time were doing the 100, I only found out after, and whipped around.

Full stats were:

155.4km (missing Seskin)
    5:15:41 (cycling time, total time 5h36- only stopped at one foodstop)
    29.5km/h
    2,008m ascent (garmin metres)

Only the one photo, of Cadex, at the start- shows just how lucky we were with the weather. There should be ones of us with the great man himself posted shortly!

th_Sean_Kelly.jpg

Left 10 minutes after the grand depart (8:52am) as emty's tyre blew up the very second it started (no, that was not a starting gun!) So the first 15km or so until a bit after we left the N25 were spent trying to get catched up with the front.

Crashed once, chain came off twice but I managed to get back to where I was each time. I am in bits with nasty bruising all down one side, right arm is starting to ache. Looking forward to next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SACH Central

My Stats for the 160 KM were:

6:11:23 Cycling time. Total time 7.5 Hrs. Stopped twice, in Clonmel & Rathcormac

101.85 Miles. Including Seskin Hill. We took a short cut at the start and joined the group at the first roundabout which cut about 3/4 of a mile off the trip!

Average speed: 16.3 MPH

Max Speed: 43.7 MPH

Great day out, brilliantly organised, managed to get a bit of sunburn and got caught in a couple of showers too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Agreed. Great day. Fantatsic weather. Warm for out leg. Nice cooling breeze for the home leg. I did the 100km. Time 3.59.47.
    Pretty happy, as I set a goal for 4 hrs. Lovely scenery.
    Met Rob A Merc at start and other boardsie (tall bloke, Mark??) in Rathcormack. Thanks for the advice re the salt. Was cramping badly at that stage.

AvS: 25kmph
    MaxS: 58.7km/h
    Started well, had very poor middle 30km/h, and once I got over cramp had a very fast final 30km/h, (even adjusting for the fact that most was downhill). Happy to finish strong. Next year the 160.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Well done to everyone yesterday. Pity I didn't manage to meet any of you. I have to agree that the organisation was excellent, possibly the best at any event I've done.

I was a bit disappointed with my time of 6 hours (5:58:42) but in my defence, I did do Seskin twice before I realised I would spend the whole day going around in circles if I just followed the 160 signs. I thought the course was great and very well marshalled. My big downfall was that I still can't descend. I was doing 14 kph down from Mahon Falls and had to stop at the mountain rescue people for a quick hand massage to get some blood into my breaking fingers. I am such a big girls blouse! It was good to realise I could still get up hills though even though all my training this year has been on the flat. I only registered 1700m climbing. I want Blorg's garmin, it's obviously much more easily impressed than mine :-)

A question for someone who has never cycled in a group before, why do roadies never look around them before moving? I don't know how many mini crashes I saw that could easily have been avoided if a cyclist had just looked around him before wildly weaving in and out?

5.34 for myself, with just the one summit of Seskin Hill. Hunneymoster, I almost made your mistake last year :)

It was a great day and I really enjoyed it. Got a few pictures with the great man himself. He was riding directly behind me for a while at one point. It's quite un-nerving when you realise that you have someone who was the best in the world for years, right behind your wheel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

A question for someone who has never cycled in a group before, why do roadies never look around them before moving? I don't know how many mini crashes I saw that could easily have been avoided if a cyclist had just looked around him before wildly weaving in and out?

It's bit like skiing, the person behind you is the one how should take care and as long as you're not half wheeling (your front overlapping someones back) then you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Junior

I made as far as the climb up out of clonmel and I tore muscles in my knee, was doing ok otherwise, the group I was with did the 100K in 3 hours 35.

Was fairly strange experience - I heard and felt a pop at the same time and lost all power in the legs, rode for a bit, but couldn't do anything but turn a 23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 rapidoe

Great day yesterday, completed the 160. Organisation of the event was superb and feeding stations amply filled the bellies!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Hungrycol wrote: »
    It's bit like skiing, the person behind you is the one how should take care and as long as you're not half wheeling (your front overlapping someones back) then you should be fine.

I get that, but if I'm in the process of overtaking someone and I yell out as much, why would he then swerve out just as I'm passing?

I get that, but if I'm in the process of overtaking someone and I yell out as much, why would he then swerve out just as I'm passing?

Occupational hazard. Look out for yourself and cycle defensively. Main thing is to always protect your front wheel. If you touch someones rear wheel with your front wheel, chances are you will go down, and they will just feel a bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I only registered 1700m climbing. I want Blorg's garmin, it's obviously much more easily impressed than mine :-)
    In fairness I did point out that they were "Garmin metres" - yes, the Garmin is easily impressed, I think it counts up every undulation in the road, eg. if you are going along a bumpy road, up 2m, down 2m, etc. it will count all those 2m ups as part of the total ascent. SportsTracks reckons 1,330m with the same data- it considers anything under 2% grade to be "flat" and only counts climbing metres above a 2% grade.
    Could just be inexperienced either. By "mini-crashes" I hope you mean not actual crashes if you saw so many!

What bike were you riding by the way?
    Raam wrote: »
    Occupational hazard. Look out for yourself and cycle defensively. Main thing is to always protect your front wheel. If you touch someones rear wheel with your front wheel, chances are you will go down, and they will just feel a bump.
    Indeed, this was the cause of my crash yesterday. Guy I was with didn't even realise I had touched his wheel, just heard me catupulting over the bike onto the asphalt. I must confess I was out of it at that stage and not paying enough attention. Thankfully it was just the two of us, would have been nasty if there was anyone behind me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Great Day out, "slow" boards group got around at a nice relaxed pace. Thanks to Brian, Laura and Caroline for the company and to a non-boardsie, the colourful Johnny whose motivation got me up Mahon Falls. Great to meet new people: Penexpers, Eagle, Quigs Snr and Jefferson on top of Powers the Pot. Special Mention to Quigs (and the missus:) )for putting us up for the night, proper gentleman.

Organisation was fantastic, really well marshalled and all the food was great! Hardest part was the drive back to dublin after, my right leg was in pain from being in the one position for 2.5 hrs.

Raam: Any chance you could post the Sean Kelly photo when you get a chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

well done all, some really fast times going on yesterday - I'm so impressed.
    it was very well organised and thanks to all the people who were volunteering there must have been a couple of hundred.

I met loads of boardies but can't remember all the names. was with caroline_ie, 72hundred and DirkVoodo (think that's right) for a fair chunk.
    had a crash about 60k in and i'm feeling the pain today, it was easier to cycle to work this morning than walk anywhere!

Yep, that was me, fell off after my chain came off on a slight incline and was too tired to unclip...down i go!

Hope your cuts and bruises heal up quick.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Raam: Any chance you could post the Sean Kelly photo when you get a chance?

Will do. They are on the bro's camera. I'll get them from him this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

Yep, that was me, fell off after my chain came off on a slight incline and was too tired to unclip...down i go!

I'm so sorry to laugh but that was so funny! It's still making me giggle here thinking of it (evil aren't I)
    I just wish we had of gotten the camera out in time :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

blorg wrote: »
    Indeed, this was the cause of my crash yesterday. Guy I was with didn't even realise I had touched his wheel, just heard me catupulting over the bike onto the asphalt. I must confess I was out of it at that stage and not paying enough attention. Thankfully it was just the two of us, would have been nasty if there was anyone behind me.

God, you've been very unlucky with the crashes recently. Is that the third in the past few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

I won the 160k Event........for having sorest arse post cycle... I was also commendated for no of sandwiches comsumed at food stops and most painful face climbing Mahon Falls....

Great great day - by far the longest and toughest cylce in my short career!
    I spent haf my time of my time with two 66 year olds :o got in about 5 O'Clock

Was aslo great meeting a few boardies - Cadex (and his better half !), Blorg, Caroline, a cut Laura and a few others..

Brilliantly organised and getting pic with the main man made my day.

Ps - HunnyM - you are some glutton for punishment!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

You're a right man for the slow motion crashes aren't you Dirk :)

Well done to everyone who took part -am gutted I missed it actually

Quicker than promised, the photos...
    http://picasaweb.google.com/PLDoyle/SeanKellyTour2008

If you can't download them in good resolution, PM me, and I'll email you the original.

• Advertisement

You're a right man for the slow motion crashes aren't you Dirk :)

Well done to everyone who took part -am gutted I missed it actually

Yeah, you were missed too Tiny! Next year!

This was even more slo-mo than last time, I came to a complete halt and just decided to topple over :) Pure laziness!

Advertisement