Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how much to get car resprayed

Options
  • 19-08-2008 8:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

how much roughly to get car resprayed professionally- 2005 mazda 3 saloon if it makes a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Depends on how good a job you want done.

On such a new car the job would have to be pretty good so your probably talking about a few thousand euro at least, I'm thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

3k plus. Your better off selling the car and buying the same car with the colour you like..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

i thought a 1000 at most. what happened was somebody with detergent on there hands from washing out the milking machine put a load of hand marks on the bonnet and wings acidently and the paint kind of faded. we rang looneys macroom and hes coming back with a price tomorrow. would there be a difference if we just resprayed the wings a bonnet to the rest of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Depends on what colour. Once your not changing colour it wont cost as much i would say and if its only a few pannels then maybe around the 1000 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A car has many coats of paint on it, have someone like the guys at www.detailer.ie take a look at it. It is possible the current paintwork is salvagable.

• Advertisement

its the silver i think its metallic and there keeping it that colour. would the new paint stand out with the other

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wouldn't bother repainting TBH, it's a three-year-old workaday car.

it looks awful though

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I suppose the way i'd look at it is this:

1. An 05 Mazda 3 saloon isn't really a looker anyway.

2. The money spent repainting will exceed the value addded to the car.

3. Murphy's law dictates that, soon after you've had the job done, something else will happen to the new paint finish.

If it were my car i'd see if it'd polish out and, if not, leave it. Just my own personal outlook, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Put a picture up but I doubt if someone had stuff on their hands it would do anything too serious to paint. Unless wearing rubber gloves and messing with paint stripper or something really acidic / caustic or a substance which has etched itself onto the paint. Are we talking hours, days or weeks ago. A detergent might dull things somewhat or leave finger marks but I doubt it is a major job to sort. Unless you can see the paint lifting, flaking or bubbling up you might possibly be making a mountain out of a molehill. Hope so. I have a colleague who had a car stolen in the UK and the police fingerprinted it and left lots of residue marks behind on the paint. But nothing a degreaser, clay bar and machine polish couldn't sort out. I also remember my brothers kids playing with washing up liquid, blowing bubbles and then putting their hands on his car. Went unnoticed for a few days, wouldnt wash off with a regular shampoo but again easy to sort once he got the right stuff.

Silver is one of the hardest colours to match, so a respray should be the last resort.

• Advertisement

well we make out a detergend as its one of the farm labourers comes down after washing out the milking parlour and would be taking off coats and wellies and hence would be touching care for balance. its there with about a month now. its like a really strong due. i cant take a pic as i dont have a digital camera

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I've seen this type of thing on loads of cars lately, particularly on cars owned by people with young kids - hand marks all over the shop caused by suncream or whatever other lotions the young lads/ladies have on their hands!

As Tom pointed out, I'd be amazed if you needed to take drastic measures to fix it. www.detailer.ie specializes in this, he posts on here a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

you'd be suprised what will polish out with a mild abrasive car body shop finishing paste like farecla by hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

It may just have left a milky film or haze on the paint. It may not be badly stained. All it possibly needs is the right chemical or solvent to break it down. Then a polish to bring back the gloss. Do you know of any good valetors where you live. There are lots of speciality washes available now to tackle this sort of thing. You just need the right person to inspect it and advise you from there. All I'd say is don't try to rub or scrub it off. Leave it to someone who does this sort of thing day in day out.

Advertisement