Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Guitar Solo ever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Frank Zappa - Watermelon in Easter Hay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBQPkLuwy80

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

this is going to sound really really naff but i really love the short guitar solo in the song ON THE BEECH by chris rea , heard it on the radio a few days ago and while not a great song or a great artist , i love it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

This is one of my favourite guitar solos. Larry Carlton with Steely Dan. Could n't find a live version with Larry playing. The solo starts at 2m 19seconds ( for the more impatient among you :p ). Short but very sweet !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d23Z-_ki_Dc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Cool idea for a thread. So hard to pick just one but right now I'd have to say my favourite has to be Sterling Morrison's (i think) solo for The Velvet Underground on Oh! Sweet Nuthin'. The songs littered with great little licks but the main solo kicks in at 5:10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Qo2-vQXQ4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

As a young teenager i was a big fan of Bon Jovi and i bought the live at wembley tape, there are a few solos on that which are still favourites of mine to this day and Richie Sambora is one of the reasons i picked up the guitar....

Wanted Dead or Alive, solo @ 5.00, although i recommend listening to the whole thing as it's a slow build up, plus it's feckin awesome!!!

Blaze of Glory, solo @ 3.25

Pretty much the most awesome guitar tone i've ever heard.... imo:)

I'd post more but i'd be here all night....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

A few come to mind that are truly spectacular and not self indulgent or forgettable. Gaia by Tiamat (much like Comfortably Numb this class song has two solos, one the middle and one at the very end), Break The Silence by NFD (its nearly a five minute solo, buts class and very memorable) and of course Comfortably Numb which as two solos, one in the middle and one at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

I have a little place in my heart for Belinda Carlisle's "Leave A
    Light On"

(solo begins at 3:05)

and Suede's "Sound Of The Streets" for pure late night emotional sounds [could only get a youtuber for this song]

(solo begins at 2:48)

They're quite similar actually, when I hear them together.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

too many to list..

kirk hammett, fade to black .
    mark knopfler,sultans of swing, private investigations and telegraph road
    gary moore w' lizzy, black rose

then there's Death and chet atkins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Pretty much the most awesome guitar tone i've ever heard.... imo:)

I'd post more but i'd be here all night....

Too self-indulgent :p

This is a man enjoying playing the guitar, Bernard Butler on Jools Holland...check out from 3:40 of the clip to see someone born with a guitar attached to their hip

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

steveone wrote: »
    too many to list..

kirk hammett, fade to black .
    mark knopfler,sultans of swing, private investigations and telegraph road
    gary moore w' lizzy, black rose

then there's Death and chet atkins...

All those songs are class, and the solos are unforgettable.

• Advertisement

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Too self-indulgent :p

This is a man enjoying playing the guitar, Bernard Butler on Jools Holland...check out from 3:40 of the clip to see someone born with a guitar attached to their hip

hahaha, you think the clips i've shown are self indulgent? Wow, they're actually quite tame compared to most, what the hell do you listen to? ;)

As for your clip, great song and i was expecting great things at 3.40 but was highly let down. Making noises does not a musician make... or something. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

I remember seeing this on 2TV one Sunday morning as a young lad on what was Network 2. It always stuck in my head. . .

juvenal wrote: »
    I remember seeing this on 2TV one Sunday morning as a young lad on what was Network 2. It always stuck in my head. . .

Ahh yeah, seen that performance before, class stuff, was the first time I heard any of Gary Moore's solo stuff, petty all his other solo work sounds near identical to Parisienne Walkways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

OMG! So many great solos to choose from but I suppose its got to be slash's solo on rocket queen from the live era album. The use of the voicebox is epic!

Plus this guy aint so bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtyZCkRDxkg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Bob Marley - No Woman No Cry, probably the only guitar solo on the planet that does not make me cringe. Pure magic.

OMG! So many great solos to choose from but I suppose its got to be slash's solo on rocket queen from the live era album. The use of the voicebox is epic!

Heh, poor strat guy, didn't know what he was letting himself in for. Is that really you with the les paul, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Muse - Hysteria
    Guns 'n' Roses - November Rain
    Scorpions - Winds of Change

Well that was cringeworthy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Daft Punk - "Aerodynamic"

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Well the cringiest has to be Europe "The Final Countdown" but I always liked Prince Purple Rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

"Heard Her Call My Name" - Velvet Underground. Half of it's feedback, but it influenced so many bands. Such a great solo. Plug coming: wrote an article about this for the blog, it's...here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Prince Purple Rain.
    Yep, top notch.

Also, Don't Fear The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult (cowbell comments not necessary :p).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 SugarandSpice:)

HAS to be Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird!!

HAS to be Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird!!
    That is a good solo, however it's about 60 seconds too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

All you need is Purple Rain and Maggot Brain.

Anyone who hasn't listened to Maggot Brain has to check it out...
    First part, he's told his mother is dead, second half he finds out she's alive.

I can't be arsed to find youtube vids so i'll just make a list...

AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long
    Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode
    Cream - Crossroads
    Cream - Badge
    Cream - White Room
    Guns N Roses - Estranged
    Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love
    Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
    Queen - Somebody to Love
    Steve Vai - For the Love of God
    The Eagles - Hotel California
    Thin Lizzy - Don't Believe a Word
    Thin Lizzy - Waiting for an Alibi

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Goddammit STAIRWAY!
    Or that bit in GNR version of Knockin on Heaven's door has some fantastic solos.
    And just to get them out of the way, Highway star, Layla, Little Wing, All along the Watchtower, Eruption, Bohemian Rhapsody.
    The Guitar solo is most at home in the hands of a classic rocker. let's face it.
    Love those solos. Falling around drunk with my strat, bottle of whiskey for a slide, playing along badly to any of the above is my idea of a great night.
    OK so it was my brother's wedding, but I was in the zone man.
    The first ten seconds of little wing was album quality.

Daft Punk - "Aerodynamic"

Does that really count considering its synthesized? Not really a guitar solo, more a computer algorithm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I can't be arsed to find youtube vids so i'll just make a list...

AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long
    Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode
    Cream - Crossroads
    Cream - Badge
    Cream - White Room
    Guns N Roses - Estranged
    Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love
    Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
    Queen - Somebody to Love
    Steve Vai - For the Love of God
    The Eagles - Hotel California
    Thin Lizzy - Don't Believe a Word
    Thin Lizzy - Waiting for an Alibi

ah, my pleasure in playing that song on Guitar Hero - baaaam!

Advertisement