Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Guitar Solo ever

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Two words....Rory Gallagher! Thread over :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Cant argue with Rory!!

Maybe not the best solo, but the cheekiest has to be the riff from Motorcycle Emptiness by Manic Street Preachers, considering the guitarist said he basically just copied the string bit from Dancing Queen by Abba!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The Knack - My Sharona

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The Knack - My Sharona

Good buddy while that is a fantastic song, that is one of the worst, most misplaced chewing gum solos a song has ever ever had. It's a Don't fear the reaper of a solo, nightmarishly horrible to the human ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

How has no one mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughan yet???????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Has to be Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. The second solo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Firetrap wrote: »
    Has to be Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. The second solo

I agree One bazillion percent. That solo is completely epic. It defines how you should play guitar. David Gilmour is the greatest guitarist ever. That is a solid fact.

More evidence of this:

Money

Another Brick In The Wall

I love those solos :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Duff_Man

yeh the comfortably numb solo is amazin! heard it yesterday for the first time in forever yesterday and i was blown away all over again from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

I love comfortably numb and all things floyd and pink :D

Jonny Greenwood's (Radiohead) solo at the end of Go to Sleep is interesting...........

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

I know there is better but ive got a few i really like;

Faith no More-Ashes to ashes
    Aerosmith-Living on the edge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

slipss wrote: »
    Heh, poor strat guy, didn't know what he was letting himself in for. Is that really you with the les paul, yeah?

Aye, twas me on the les paul. Its only an epiphone but it does the job! :D

CRINGEWORTHY??????:eek::eek:
    (cries)
    In all fairness now I didnt have a clue how long the guy had been playing. Was just a bit of fun at the end of a gig. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdk9UV5n0-M

This is what happens when you take guitar playing to its logical conclusion.

I don't know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

I can't be arsed to find youtube vids so i'll just make a list...

AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long
    Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode
    Cream - Crossroads
    Cream - Badge
    Cream - White Room
    Guns N Roses - Estranged
    Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love
    Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
    Queen - Somebody to Love
    Steve Vai - For the Love of God
    The Eagles - Hotel California
    Thin Lizzy - Don't Believe a Word
    Thin Lizzy - Waiting for an Alibi

How dull is that list of well-known guitar solos.

As me oul fella once said, if you've nothing useful to say, say nothing.

Hotel California indeed :rolleyes:

This poster's access to the music forum should be revoked immediately. Sky One's top 50 guitar solos with Terri Dwyer is where they belong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There's a reason why they're well known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

The wig out at the end of both Just and Paranoid Android by Radiohead. Both fairly simple, but they butter my toast.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

There's a reason why they're well known.

Whenever I read a thread on boards I think: Can I add something new, something that others won't have thought of? At no point do I think: I'll just list the usual ****ty predictable answer and at least I'm still contributing. At least I'm keeping up the banal, mundane, sleep-inducing moronic replies they expect of me.

I do try, sometimes I offend, but next time you feel like contributing, think first.

As I said, your music access should be revoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

IanCurtis wrote: »
    How dull is that list of well-known guitar solos.

As me oul fella once said, if you've nothing useful to say, say nothing.

Hotel California indeed :rolleyes:

This poster's access to the music forum should be revoked immediately. Sky One's top 50 guitar solos with Terri Dwyer is where they belong.

Dude that video in ur sig rolf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Whenever I read a thread on boards I think: Can I add something new, something that others won't have thought of? At no point do I think: I'll just list the usual ****ty predictable answer and at least I'm still contributing. At least I'm keeping up the banal, mundane, sleep-inducing moronic replies they expect of me.

I do try, sometimes I offend, but next time you feel like contributing, think first.

As I said, your music access should be revoked.
    Are you always so blatant with your trolling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

Mick Ronson on Bowie's Moonage Daydream album version

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Clapton - Why has love got to be so sad

Jimmy Page - Since I've Been Loving You

The Eagles - Hotel California (though it seems to offend the indie snobs)

Gary Moore - Black Rose

All the above, rather than just being self indulgent, are a great blend of melody and skill. I listen not to just go 'wow, what a great player', but also they sound great melody wise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

For me there's loads but Jimmy Page doing "In My Time Of Dying" is pretty awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

JimiTime wrote: »
    Clapton - Why has love got to be so sad

Clapton and Allman together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Anto McC wrote: »
    Clapton and Allman together.

No way!! That may explain why I love it so. Claptons never really excited me as a solo merchant. That solo is awesome though, certain points in particular. i wonder if its the Allman bits.

JimiTime wrote: »
    No way!! That may explain why I love it so. Claptons never really excited me as a solo merchant. That solo is awesome though, certain points in particular. i wonder if its the Allman bits.

Yeah, i love Clapton but he couldn't touch Allman and he knew it. That solo is fantasic, it slows down and fades out but you just want it to go on forever. Duane Allman is one of the biggest loses in music. He is responisible for, without doubt, one of the greatest riffs in rock history and another that Clapton gets credit for - Layla.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I wouldn't call this the best Guitar Solo ever... but it's as cheesy as fúck!!! :D

Hahaha! 3:20 FTW!!! ¡¿¡Why you do something that hard and look rediculous doing it!?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

All you need is Purple Rain and Maggot Brain.

Anyone who hasn't listened to Maggot Brain has to check it out...
    First part, he's told his mother is dead, second half he finds out she's alive.

love maggot brain, amazing song, PS is it sammy L.J. talking?? sounds like him!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Anything by Brian May is sheer genius.

I really like the Radio Ga Ga solo as its very emotive and mystical sounding, almost legendary.

Also the guitar solo to Hammer to Fall is incredibly melodic as are the solos to Bo-rap, good old fashioned lover boy, a kind of magic, everything really. He cuts out all the unnecessary notes to create purely elegant sequences of notes underpinned by incredible ideas and motifs. To re-iterate sheer genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Boys keep swinging - David Bowie, right at the end of the song there is this great freakout on a heavily distorted guitar by Adrian Belew (I Think) as the song fades out.

anything by Television is stuffed with tasty solos, licks and riffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I know its not exactly what is being asked by the OP,but Technical difficulties by paul gilbert is one of my favourite shred guitar tracks,its mega fast yet note perfect....

Though gilbert can do very little wrong IMO

Advertisement