Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dura Ace 7900 Shifters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I may be wrong, but I believe that shimano have a nice little chart of whats compatible with what on the website. Of course I may have dreamed this up, its happened before.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think you'll be alright. They're meant to be compatible with with the current Dura Ace, which means they're compatible with Ultegra as well. However, Shimano say you need the new front derailleur as well. I presume this is because they've introduced trimless shifting at the front and the old front derailleur won't work too well with it as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/cycle/seh/nl/en/technical_service/faq_s/compatibilty_charts.html

can't see any mention there.

Bu found this: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=/tech/2008/features/shimano_dura-ace_790008
    While the new cable pull ratios may mean better performance for this newest generation of Dura-Ace componentry, it also unfortunately means that 7900 shifters and derailleurs will not be compatible with earlier versions.

bad news?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There's a compatiblity chart on Shimano's new Dura Ace website (www.duraace.com). Can't provide a direct link because it's a bloody flash site, but you'll find the PDF in the downloads section. According to that, the shifters will work with the older Dura Ace and Ultegra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Is Dura-ace 7900 groupset on sale yet?

E@gle. wrote: »

Most places I've seen it listed have it as available in October or November. You'll all have to wait another few months to catch up with Campag and hide those cables.;)

E@gle. wrote: »

CRC say they'll have them in the first week of November.

El Tonto, I'm a bit thick today and I can't understand that chart. How do you figure that my 10 spd Ultegra is compatible with the 7900 shifters?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i'm thick too - and i do want my cables hidden immediately. the chart is a bit cryptic - but it looks like it means that the new shifters are compatible with older rear dérailleurs, but not front dérailleurs? anyone else reading it like that?

Raam wrote: »
    El Tonto, I'm a bit thick today and I can't understand that chart. How do you figure that my 10 spd Ultegra is compatible with the 7900 shifters?

OK, there's a box on the left listing both 7900 shifters and 7800. Lines go from that box to two others, one of which lists 7800 RD (Old Dura Ace) and 6600 RD (Ultegra).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

niceonetom wrote: »
    i'm thick too - and i do want my cables hidden immediately. the chart is a bit cryptic - but it looks like it means that the new shifters are compatible with older rear dérailleurs, but not front dérailleurs? anyone else reading it like that?

That's what El Tonto was saying further up there.. I wouldn't mind hiding cables either -but I don't think I can justify over 300 quid to do it -maybe Ultegra will hide 'em next year!

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I half see it. I understand what Tom is thinking, which El Tonto mentioned earlier: it might be that the front derailleur isn't compatible.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I half see it. I understand what Tom is thinking, which El Tonto mentioned earlier: it might be that the front derailleur isn't compatible.

Yes, if you look down at the front derailleur, the shifters are listed in separate boxes.

I don't think I can justify over 300 quid to do it -maybe Ultegra will hide 'em next year!

That's the new product price premium for you. Wait a year or so and you'll see it drop. I'm sure you might pick up some bargains on eBay too. While hiding cables is kind of cool, I think the best thing about the new shifters might be the change in the hood design. I never really liked the old ones. Not enough flat space on the tops of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Personally I am very fond of the current Shimano hood design. I have Campagnolo-style hoods on my new fixie (very flat with just the small blip at the end) and I am missing the big bulbous Shimano blob to grab onto! Some of these descents are very hairy as a result, I am worried my hands are going to go flying off (not yet thank god.)

Non-hidden cables also give another hand position :D I am pretty sure I saw someone hanging on to them in the Olympic road race.

blorg wrote: »
    Personally I am very fond of the current Shimano hood design. I have Campagnolo-style hoods on my new fixie (very flat with just the small blip at the end) and I am missing the big bulbous Shimano blob to grab onto! Some of these descents are very hairy as a result, I am worried my hands are going to go flying off (not yet thank god.)

I guess it might be personal preference, but I never liked the blob. What are you doing descending on the hoods anyway?
    Non-hidden cables also give another hand position :D I am pretty sure I saw someone hanging on to them in the Olympic road race.

Yup, there's a few pros, including Cancellara and O'Grady who hold the cables for a TT like position. Having tried it myself, I'll say you need to be a pretty good bike handler to get away with it. Definitely has 'embarrassing spill potential.

el tonto wrote: »
    I guess it might be personal preference, but I never liked the blob. What are you doing descending on the hoods anyway?
    Only on the fixie- I find if descending on the drops it accentuates testicle-mashing when pedalling at over 150 RPM. My saddle is dead flat at the moment, possibly need to try tilting it nose down (and I wondered why this seemed popular on fixies.)
    Yup, there's a few pros, including Cancellara and O'Grady who hold the cables for a TT like position. Having tried it myself, I'll say you need to be a pretty good bike handler to get away with it. Definitely has 'embarrassing spill potential.
    Yeah, I tried it once myself, not for long!

Yes, I like the current hoods also. I share the same worries when on the fixie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

So here's my question. I have a friend who will be soon in U.S. and I was thinking bout buying myself a nice groupset as the prices are more friendly there. I'm thinking of getting campagnolo record but maybe I should go with shimano ? Will spend that money anyway so just want to make the right choice. Any suggestions ?

• Advertisement

omri wrote: »
    So here's my question. I have a friend who will be soon in U.S. and I was thinking bout buying myself a nice groupset as the prices are more friendly there. I'm thinking of getting campagnolo record but maybe I should go with shimano ? Will spend that money anyway so just want to make the right choice. Any suggestions ?

Will you be putting it on a new bike or will you be replacing whatever is on your current bike? You might have to change your rear wheel hub if moving from Shimano to Campag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

No it's for brand new bike.

Do campag still use the thumb shifter on all their models?
    That's one thing that I don't like about it. I prefer Shimanos way. Although it could just be that I am used to it now.

Do campag still use the thumb shifter on all their models?
    That's one thing that I don't like about it. I prefer Shimanos way. Although it could just be that I am used to it now.
    Yes, thumb shifter on all models. In fairness it does seem a lot easier to use than Shimano's implementation of thumb shifting on Sora (which appears to me deliberately hampered.) I think most Campy users find it easy to access from all positions. It it also capable of doing multiple shifts on the higher end groups which is a benefit over Shimano (used to do this on the lower groups too I believe until Campagnolo hobbled them.)

But I am thinking I just don't like the hood design. Another issue I noticed with that type of hood design is that it moves the effective "on the hoods" position around 20mm forward, which has quite a significant effect on bike fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

The general consensus seems to be try before you buy. They will both work just as well at the Duraace/Record level, so go for whatever feels best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭BH2008

omri wrote: »

Tscccch! (sound of can of worms opening)....As far as I'm aware Record is generally considered to be better than Dura Ace and would be the one I would go for given the choice, although I would also be tempted by Sram Red, looks very nice (not to everyones taste) and I think its the only sub 2kg groupset...if thats your thing!

I think both new Record and Dura Ace are sub-2kg (not that it matters!)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭BH2008

I think both new Record and Dura Ace are sub-2kg (not that it matters!)

Agree with you there....I think if your getting to the stage where you're worried about whether your groupset is sub 2kg or not somebody else should be paying for it...and your frame, wheels and wages! :D (wonder how that post would go down on weightweenies!!)

Advertisement