Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nocturnal Nerds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

its like when people make binary jokes.it just confuddles me
    01100010011010010110111001100001011100100111100100100000011100110110111101101100011011110010000100100001

:D

nerds will be nerds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

damn you!!!

i dont even know what binary is...just know its numbers and the weird joke about people who understand it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Why do computer scientists get Christmas and Halloween mixed up?

Because OCT 31 = DEC 25

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

damn you!!!

i dont even know what binary is...just know its numbers and the weird joke about people who understand it
    you should read wiki dear, it knows all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Ash, don't worry, binary's scary and confusing. As the guy who went out with someone who thought coding websites was fun, I tend to just ignore such things. ^^

• Advertisement

Mirror wrote: »
    you should read wiki dear, it knows all :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_numeral_system

it makes my head hurt
    Ash, don't worry, binary's scary and confusing. As the guy who went out with someone who thought coding websites was fun, I tend to just ignore such things. ^^

yeah im just gonig to stick in my uncomputerised world.
    and when my laptop dosent do what i want i shout at it till it does or make someone fx it for me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_numeral_system

it makes my head hurt

yeah im just gonig to stick in my uncomputerised world.
    and when my laptop dosent do what i want i shout at it till it does or make someone fx it for me:)

How will you then be able to post here Aisling? You shout at your laptop. Nothing wrong with that, I shout at my keyboard (playing) when I miss a chord late at night.

DenMan wrote: »
    How will you then be able to post here Aisling? You shout at your laptop. Nothing wrong with that, I shout at my keyboard (playing) when I miss a chord late at night.

hmm yeah my laptop is my baby...probably should stay with some computery bits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

aye it amazes me alright some ppl have fierce problems with their comps,sometimes its just lazyness,they dont want to defrag it or update it or scan it for viruses,all this saves you money in the long run,let alone even googleing the problem you have with your laptop/comp might save you money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

you know.... theres 10 kinds of people in this world.... those who can read binary and those who cant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Japanese gameshows are my major downfall, but they're so good!

I enjoy doing maths.

I love the final fantasy series.

When I find something I'm interested in, I spend HOURS researching it and gathering as much information as I can. Just for the sake of it.

I still enjoy kids tv(who doesn't though).

Bit of a grammar nazi. Bad grammar and punctuation really annoys me.

I'm really cool though, I swear.

i like history meself,and yes i would be the same too if i gained a sudden intrest in something i would read into it like mad,loved final fantasy!,fav jap game show was takeshi's castle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Kersmash wrote: »
    Japanese gameshows are my major downfall, but they're so good!

I enjoy doing maths.

I love the final fantasy series.

When I find something I'm interested in, I spend HOURS researching it and gathering as much information as I can. Just for the sake of it.

I still enjoy kids tv(who doesn't though).

I'm really cool though, I swear.

You sound quite a bit like me actually, but replace Final Fantasy with Metroid or Zelda :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Kersmash wrote: »
    I enjoy doing maths.

your, a sick sick, individual you almost disgust me more than a certain ethnic minority i, hate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

your, a sick sick, individual you almost disgust me more than a certain ethnic minority i, hate

I also don't like bad spelling and grammar.

CuLT wrote: »
    Pro Tip: if you're posting in this forum, you're a nerd.

Except for the OP.

*cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Hehe, was about to go into mod mode till I reread that and saw what you did there :D

The ethnic minority bit is still bold though

*slaps wrist*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Nerdy, this one is easy. Years ago when i started off in IT as a lowly phonemunky, i had a bet with 3 work colleagues on how many operating systems we could get on one PC!

I won the bet with 11 OS's spanning over 3 hard drives.

DOS/Windows 3.11
    Windows 95
    Windows 98
    Windows ME
    Windows 2000 Server
    Redhat Linux 6.2
    FreeBSD
    BeOS
    Neutrino QNX
    Solaris 8
    OS/2

Naturally, i won the bet! Made an easy IR£400 out of it too!
    I'm sure i could have put on one more, but the installation of Solaris 8 ended up corrupting the final partition. It was a fun project. Kept the PC running for over a year before i passed it on to a family friend after wiping everything. It brought a tear to the eye to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Fred83 wrote: »
    i like history meself,and yes i would be the same too if i gained a sudden intrest in something i would read into it like mad,loved final fantasy!,fav jap game show was takeshi's castle,im ****e at maths do :(

I watch Takeshis castle alot. :)

And I can't help the grammar thing, it's been beaten into my head. :P I'm a real cool cat. Thats hip lingo, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

BA in anthropology, people seem to get bored very easily if i tell them what i did in college
    Was a right geek in school never went near boys and lived in the stable.....
    I'm sure there's loads more cant think first thing in the morning.....

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Nerdy, this one is easy. Years ago when i started off in IT as a lowly phonemunky, i had a bet with 3 work colleagues on how many operating systems we could get on one PC!

I won the bet with 11 OS's spanning over 3 hard drives.

DOS/Windows 3.11
    Windows 95
    Windows 98
    Windows ME
    Windows 2000 Server
    Redhat Linux 6.2
    FreeBSD
    BeOS
    Neutrino QNX
    Solaris 8
    OS/2

Naturally, i won the bet! Made an easy IR£400 out of it too!
    I'm sure i could have put on one more, but the installation of Solaris 8 ended up corrupting the final partition. It was a fun project. Kept the PC running for over a year before i passed it on to a family friend after wiping everything. It brought a tear to the eye to do so.

haha man thats a good thing to do,only closetest time i did that was putting xp and 98 onto one hardrive lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    you know.... theres 10 kinds of people in this world.... those who can read binary and those who cant :D

I was wondering just how long it'd take for someone to make that joke!

So, me a nerd? Never..... :rolleyes:

I did honours everything (including Maths, Physics and Applied Maths) for the Leaving Cert.

I did electronic engineering in college.

I remember people's registration plates.

I often count the number of letters in a word, or characters in a registration plate, or any string of characters.

I count the number of steps on stairs.

When I'm doing any of my weird counting things I like to get a number that's even, but prefer if it's divisible by four. And even better if the numbers making up the answer are also divisible by four or have doubles in them. So a registration plate I've always liked was 00-KK-4416 (Double zero. Double K. 4416 divisible by four. 4, 4 and 16 divisible by four. And a total of 8 characters which is also divisible by four). Yeah, I do reckon it's a form of OCD but I'm ok with it :)

I work in IT.

I get nerdy references and in-jokes like those binary and OCT DEC ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

haha man thats a good thing to do,only closetest time i did that was putting xp and 98 onto one hardrive lol

I got two days off work to do it as well at the time! I'm raging i no longer have the photo i took of the boot manager selection screen. It was well impressive :D

Powerquest bootmagic really saved my ass on that project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Well, I have a very loose grasp of, and less respect for science and math. I understand enough to laugh at 70% of xkcd, but that's about it.

Nah, I'm more of your classics/humanities type of nerd, if any. I will happily sit down and read more or less any art history book. And I get very excited in bookshops :P I laugh at Frasier more than most people like.

Oooh! I think I have dyxpraxia, does that make me an honorary nerd? I reckon it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Excellent. A nerdy Prez!!

Does anyone use Interwebz in-jokes and phrases in RL?

i was called a geek by someone other day,which kinda came a shock :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

i was called a geek by someone other day,which kinda came a shock :(
    your kind aren't welcome here *glare*
    go do geeky stuff 4 eyes :P
    Im only kiddin! *hugs fred we're basically family :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

I enjoy reading too much.
    If only the world was made from a D & D game :D
    Sci Fi FTW!
    I understand FTW!
    I juggle.
    I post on message boards too much.
    I've online friends.
    I make triangles and squares out of random things, such as straws and books (I'm not sure why!)
    I wear rainbow coloured socks with individual toes! But is that nerdish or geekish? :confused::confused:

Zwillinge wrote: »
    I enjoy reading too much.

I post on message boards too much.
    I've online friends.
    :confused::confused:

me too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

me too!
    Me three, what's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Me three, what's your point?

The same as zwillinges. Whats yours?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Top of my head. :D

Posting on the itnernet and having online friends is no longer just for nerds the tech has become standard and very luser friendly, just look at the horror that is bebo.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Posting on the itnernet and having online friends is no longer just for nerds the tech has become standard and very luser friendly, just look at the horror that is bebo.

Feckin chavs,comin in here,takin our innerwebs

Nerin wrote: »
    Feckin chavs,comin in here,takin our innerwebs

I blame those do gooders from ireland offline, with thier broadband for all policies.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I blame those do gooders from ireland offline, with thier broadband for all policies.

A new enemy for the nocturnals

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

*Resurrects thread*

I'm sitting in a room in Germany, posting on a forum from a netbook, listening to the Mass Effect soundtrack on an iPod also loaded with sega megadrive tracks and the Oblivion soundtrack.

I'm such a nerd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

I use the internet since 13 years now.

I'll be 32 next month, and I still read comoc books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Apparently I'm not a nerd at all. Not even a bit.

*sniffle*

• Advertisement

I'll be 32 next month, and I still read comoc books.

33 and reading manga.

shellyboo wrote: »

*sniffle*
    Why are you not a nerd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Where do I start

1. I play WoW
    2. I watch anime
    3. I used to do jiu-Jitsu (Japanese traditional not Brazilian)
    4. I read allot of sci-fi, fantasy and horror books.

More to come when I think of em :pac:

But, apart from all the nerdiness, I enjoy a good game of rugby, soccer and basketball. I am gym fanatic, and go clubbing at any available opportunity.

Breaking the stereotypes!

I play video games, have actually run a RPG for friends, read piles of sf, horror, and fantasy. However, I also know seventeen different ways to disable an attacker using a cotton ball.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

shellyboo wrote: »

*sniffle*

You'll always be a sword fondling nerd to me.

SDooM wrote: »
    You'll always be a sword fondling nerd to me.
    Now how did randy get into DooM's account?

Zwillinge wrote: »
    I wear rainbow coloured socks with individual toes! But is that nerdish or geekish? :confused::confused:

That is just pretty! But by god do they hurt after a while, when they cut off the circulation and your toes swell. :(

Yeah I'm not a nerd :(...that requires focus and that isnt my forte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i used to have the rainbow socks. but i walk too much, none of my socks ever last.

and i am neither a nerd nor a geek (though i do know that you use 'nor' after 'neither'), but more of a dork, really.

I have those socks in fucsia and aqua green.
    Plus 2 pairs of rainbow coloured socks, one is fluffy and the other one has a anti-slippery gummy emoticon on the bottom >_>'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I use the internet since 13 years now.

14 for me, and I used to spend all day on it. In fact, not much has changed.:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement