Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nocturnal Nerds

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

All my socks are just plain white socks. I need some new socks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    14 for me, and I used to spend all day on it. In fact, not much has changed.:pac:

Waaaaa...u are the first european (?) person i know that uses the internet since longer than i do...I feel humble now ^_^

Can send you some stupid ones to Buffalo anytime.

And your lady lets you partake in intimacy. That is a serious code violation right there!

14 for me, and I used to spend all day on it. In fact, not much has changed.:pac:

From when you were 3? Or Do I need to adjust my mental image of you? :confused:

The first time I used the internet was in my friends gaff in 1994.
    I remember because one of our favorite sports stars had died, and it was the first thing we wanted to look up.
    But after a couple of minutes of that, we somehow managed to spend half the day waiting for images of hot men to download instead. :D lol.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    The first time I used the internet was in my friends gaff in 1994.
    I remember because one of our favorite sports stars had died, and it was the first thing we wanted to look up.
    But after a couple of minutes of that, we somehow managed to spend half the day waiting for images of hot men to download instead. :D lol.

U european too, Moonlady?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Moonbaby wrote: »
    And your lady lets you partake in intimacy. That is a serious code violation right there!
    What do my socks do with getting intimate with my lady. I'm not wearing the silly things to bed or anyhting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I can't remember if I've posted in this thread or not, but I think the fact that I'm an employee of boards.ie adds to my nerd quotient :p

But I have worked in IT as a programmer, a web developer and a sys admin. I live for computer games and sci-fi and spend vast amounts of time studying/fapping off over new tech :)

Oh, and my socks are usually black :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think I'll wear my Ben Sherman socks to tomorrow's beers. That'll show you all!

Galvasean wrote: »
    I think I'll wear my Ben Sherman socks to tomorrow's beers. That'll show you all!

Awwwww....me wantz beers with Nocs :(

• Advertisement

Awwwww....me wantz beers with Nocs :(

Now THAT is nerdy.

Now THAT is nerdy.

I am nerdy conscious, no worries ^_^

I am nerdy conscious, no worries ^_^

Nerdy conscious... is that like nerd awareness? We should make a World Nerds Awareness Day and do a big parade where everyone is dressed as Warhammer men and/or computer chips.

Nerdy conscious... is that like nerd awareness? We should make a World Nerds Awareness Day and do a big parade where everyone is dressed as Warhammer men and/or computer chips.

I'll dress like meself.
    I have 3 pairs of glasses.
    Maybe I can wear them altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Just finished a Programming and web engineering hons degree.
    I understand all of these and find them funny. http://slashweb.org/programming/25-best-programmer-comics.html
    I have had every console back to the SNES except for the Wii, Jaguar and 3DO.
    I have 2 ps2's (one american) cause I wanted to get games not released here (xenogears, xenosaga, FFT etc)
    I have all of Farscape and Babylon 5 on DVD.
    My goal in life is to earn loads of money and develop open source software.
    Have read 42 of the Battletech books.

Im more of a geek.......nerds are smart.
    This should show some differences http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Difference-Between-Nerds-and-Geeks

Nearg!!

Apparently I'm actually not a nerd. I'm a geek, albeit one with some very interesting skills with potentially lethal applications.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Yeah geek here too. I'm more of a C/B student than an A student.:p:pac:

I am a geek too, so...

Yeah geek here too. I'm more of a C/B student than an A student.:p:pac:
    I am a geek too, so...
    Maybe the three of us should just leave the nerds in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Originally posted by Tirabaralla
    I am a geek too, so...

Shall we branch off with a Nocturnal Geeks thread?:pac:

Shall we branch off with a Nocturnal Geeks thread?:pac:
    Maybe we shlould calli the the Goths & Geeks thread to keep the whole alliteraiton thing going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

/me ponders whether I'm a nerd or a geek under this classification...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

/me ponders whether I'm a nerd or a geek under this classification...
    why do you think your either?
    maths? geek
    games? nerd

and there's your index by smiley XD

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The nerd geek divide is not that simple.

I go under the impression that a nerd is someone who is techologically able or interested in sci fi et al.

Whereas a geek is someone who is obsessed with something to the point where it interferes with their ability to engage socially (like, a Star Trek nerd is someone who watches a good bit, know alot, whereas a ST geek is someone who spends 8 hours a day on it and spends all their hard earned on it).

Everyone has different definitions.

Don't anyone dare quote the urban dictionary at me. That things more untrustworthy than wiki :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Why are you not a nerd?

Cos Kharn says so? :pac:

Nah, I'm a bit too eclectic I suppose. I like elements of sci-fi and fantasy - I read Terry Pratchett and love fantasy books, I like selected sci-fi programmes, but don't really follow them religiously. I'm really into the internet and forums and chatting and blogs and twitter and things...

But then I also like doing quote-unquote normal things like going out dancing and eating in restaurants and pop music and friends and getting involved in community things and family... Basically, I just come off as a 'normal' person until you see my bookcase or the contents of my hard drive!

I do find it hard to reconcile the two, because "mainstream" people will never really get the nerdy parts, and nerdy people tend to dismiss me as not a nerd because of my mainstream interests - I find they tend to presume that I like the mainstream stuff because I'm a sheep or I'm not intelligent enough to know that it's mostly crap or I haven't been exposed to other things, but that's not true. I've been exposed to all sorts of music, films, literature - I just happen to appreciate the mainstream stuff and take it at face value as good silly fun.

I take all things at face value, actually. Either I like it or I don't. Some of the things I like are "nerdy", some are mainstream *shrug*
    SDooM wrote: »
    You'll always be a sword fondling nerd to me.

Woohoo!

EDIT: Actually, do you know what I think it is that disqualifies me from nerd-dom? It's that I'm not passionate about anything. I don't have a passion for anything like film or TV or comics or gaming or computers or – my passion is for the people in my life. Closest thing to that would be the written language, and I don't think that makes me a nerd - just a bookworm/grammar nazi!

shellyboo wrote: »

Nah, I'm a bit too eclectic I suppose. I like elements of sci-fi and fantasy - I read Terry Pratchett and love fantasy books, I like selected sci-fi programmes, but don't really follow them religiously. I'm really into the internet and forums and chatting and blogs and twitter and things...

But then I also like doing quote-unquote normal things like going out dancing and eating in restaurants and pop music and friends and getting involved in community things and family... Basically, I just come off as a 'normal' person until you see my bookcase or the contents of my hard drive!

I do find it hard to reconcile the two, because "mainstream" people will never really get the nerdy parts, and nerdy people tend to dismiss me as not a nerd because of my mainstream interests - I find they tend to presume that I like the mainstream stuff because I'm a sheep or I'm not intelligent enough to know that it's mostly crap or I haven't been exposed to other things, but that's not true. I've been exposed to all sorts of music, films, literature - I just happen to appreciate the mainstream stuff and take it at face value as good silly fun.

I take all things at face value, actually. Either I like it or I don't. Some of the things I like are "nerdy", some are mainstream *shrug*
    Basically, you just described me. Except for the whole Twitter thing.

shellyboo wrote: »

EDIT: Actually, do you know what I think it is that disqualifies me from nerd-doom?

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

And me nowadays, yet i dont twitter, blog or use chat programs...

I've felt that over the last 2 years i have become less of a stereotype nerd (long red hair, glasses, goatee who stayed indoors alot) to a more generally accepted one, who is just smart, likes to go out dancing/drinking etc plays a rough sport (hurling) yet has interest in stuff non nerds would relate to.

Lets put it this way, i was an MMO player for 8 years and was very very knowledgeable about the ingame content when i played, became recluse for many of those and that WAS my life haha!! man this is starting to look like a PI post lol:P

Seriously Shelly, if you're a Pratchett buff you're a nerd. Dav's just going to have to get over it.

Millenium hand and shrimp! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Seriously Shelly, if you're a Pratchett buff you're a nerd. Dav's just going to have to get over it.
    Aye its true, you can be one of us now...:pac:

and me, just take out pratchett for tite kubo and other manga as well as garth nix :)

I've earned myself the name of the "otaku" in my school and damn I'm proud :)
    I'm a little more nerdy than main stream so peoples first impression is... "why is he doing that in public?" (not in any sexual way or anything, other strange people will understand how I mean it :)) and then once they talk to me I whip in the fact that I'm a jazz player of 7 years and then I'm "accepted" :P

• Advertisement

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    I've earned myself the name of the "otaku" in my school and damn I'm proud

Another otaku here...reading manga for years and years on the busses going to school and work...back in the years when it was a bit of a taboo, but I never realised it lol

Another otaku here...reading manga for years and years on the busses going to school and work...back in the years when it was a bit of a taboo, but I never realised it lol

this is going to sound terrible but I actually got into it through watching Pokémon and Medabots (note: I was watching pokémon in '97 two years before it became cool) :P

yeah i never have time to read it or even buy it anymore, I still haven't even finished battle royale :( (I went in sometime last year to get volume 8 and because I was still 17 they asked me for id :()
    at the moment I'm concentrating on the auld leaving cert but I love bleach :)

this is going to sound terrible but I actually got into it through watching Pokémon and Medabots (note: I was watching pokémon in '97 two years before it became cool) :P

yeah i never have time to read it or even buy it anymore, I still haven't even finished battle royale :( (I went in sometime last year to get volume 8 and because I was still 17 they asked me for id :()
    at the moment I'm concentrating on the auld leaving cert but I love bleach :)

Awwww...I got into Pokemons when I was 20 and I went to the States and we didn't have Pokemons yet in Italy but I saw these little stuffs so cute and...bought a small plastic Pikachu...lol
    When back in Italy they started to become famous after a while and I brought my that days bf to the cinema to watch the movie lol
    We are still good friends LOL

Battle Royale...so sad but I loved it.
    I know how it ends, but u can know that from the interweb as well...but I know it's not at all the same thing.
    I don't read manga in Ireland cause they are SO expensive :(
    And my huge collection is in my parents garage back home.
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwww....want them now.

Awwww...I got into Pokemons when I was 20 and I went to the States and we didn't have Pokemons yet in Italy but I saw these little stuffs so cute and...bought a small plastic Pikachu...lol
    When back in Italy they started to become famous after a while and I brought my that days bf to the cinema to watch the movie lol
    We are still good friends LOL

Battle Royale...so sad but I loved it.
    I know how it ends, but u can know that from the interweb as well...but I know it's not at all the same thing.
    I don't read manga in Ireland cause they are SO expensive :(
    And my huge collection is in my parents garage back home.
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwww....want them now.

haha basically the same as my older brother then, I remember I walked into tescos one day and this really generically popular lookin dude was standing behind the counter fidgeting with something, I put my playstation magazine on the counter and he looks at me (Im about 10 at the time) and asks me, with the most serious voice I've ever heard "is this ninetales rare?" lookin back it was hilarious, speaking of pokemon when it came to my junior cert we all started playing it again, now its our leaving, I recently found the game boy again... lethal game :P

I've seen the movie of battle royale hundreds of times but I have a feeling the mangas just a wee bit better haha.

I'm taking it your originally from italy then? and I know the manga here is so expensive, I was thinking about taking japanese (and probably will in college) because it will end up paying for itself with the manga I can get online :)

haha basically the same as my older brother then, I remember I walked into tescos one day and this really generically popular lookin dude was standing behind the counter fidgeting with something, I put my playstation magazine on the counter and he looks at me (Im about 10 at the time) and asks me, with the most serious voice I've ever heard "is this ninetales rare?" lookin back it was hilarious, speaking of pokemon when it came to my junior cert we all started playing it again, now its our leaving, I recently found the game boy again... lethal game :P

I've seen the movie of battle royale hundreds of times but I have a feeling the mangas just a wee bit better haha.

I'm taking it your originally from italy then? and I know the manga here is so expensive, I was thinking about taking japanese (and probably will in college) because it will end up paying for itself with the manga I can get online :)

Awww...ninetales...lovely!!! (sorry ^_^)
    I didn't play the game for so long, but I knew all the evolutions of the first serie lol

I never saw the BR movie, i wanna watch it but can't watch by myself, woudl be a lil too much. The manga also, i was reading it sharing it with someome else, made it easier to digest it :P

LOL about the college stuff. I so understand you, I was even thinking about going back to college to study japanese...I went 2 Japan 2 years ago and I am totally in love with it.

Did u read this book, maybe? (book of general geek interest, btw lol)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Train-Man-Nakano-Hitori/dp/1845293517

Well, then I guess I am a nerd after all.

Awww...ninetales...lovely!!! (sorry ^_^)
    I didn't play the game for so long, but I knew all the evolutions of the first serie lol

I never saw the BR movie, i wanna watch it but can't watch by myself, woudl be a lil too much. The manga also, i was reading it sharing it with someome else, made it easier to digest it :P

LOL about the college stuff. I so understand you, I was even thinking about going back to college to study japanese...I went 2 Japan 2 years ago and I am totally in love with it.

Did u read this book, maybe? (book of general geek interest, btw lol)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Train-Man-Nakano-Hitori/dp/1845293517

I know I was like "no.....? I'll give you a charmeleon for it" XD
    I played silver too, was quite the epic :P

oh its such a good movie, you'd be able to stick it by yourself its quite watered down compared to the manga. I watched it when I was 12 and wasn't sickened, they dont really give you a huge background to any of the characters either, still nice though :)

I think I'd just take an extra class not like study it properly if ya get me, and no I haven't read it... may be getting added to my next shopping list along with bleach 26 battle royale 8 and several zombie books :)

Oawwww :o Thanks Doomy, I feel all special now! And lest the boy be made out to be a baddie, he was only teasing really :)

As an aside, I *loved* Pokemon. I used to watch it under the pretence that my baby bro - who would have been the right age to like it at the time - loved it, when in fact he probably couldn't have given a monkey's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I had six mewtwos.

/Thread

• Advertisement

Nerin wrote: »
    I had six mewtwos.

/Thread

*_*

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a mewtwo. I assume it's some type of Pokemon.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a mewtwo. I assume it's some type of Pokemon.

Very strong pokemon,could be taught lots of attacks. In the right hands its a tough one to take down in the first games because the element system was broken.

Very strong pokemon,could be taught lots of attacks. In the right hands its a tough one to take down in the first games because the element system was broken.
    Should probably mention I never actually played Pokemon. I did watch the show though. I liked Jigglypuff.

Should probably mention I never actually played Pokemon. I did watch the show though. I liked Jigglypuff.

Oh yeah, I didn't play the game but I loved the show. Jigglypuff was one of my favourites too, but that may have something to do with my penchant for karaoke :P

I just enjoyed Jigglypuff's reaction to criticism.

• Advertisement

I just enjoyed Jigglypuff's reaction to criticism.

*reminisces*

Awww,doubleslap attack.

I went to see the first film in the cinema. I was a big Magicarp fan and he had a cameo. I was sooo chuffed.

*reminisces*

Awww,doubleslap attack.
    Oops, I always called it a super b****slap attack. No wonder I got all those weird looks from people.

I went to see the first film in the cinema. I was a big Magicarp fan and he had a cameo. I was sooo chuffed.

Shiney Gyrados was my second choice in my team in silver. ^_^ go typhlosion!

Oh course,that all changed when i got me a lugia. Hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I had six mewtwos.

/Thread

Endurance or hax?

• Advertisement
Advertisement