Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox finally dies

• 19-08-2008 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭

Well it’s happened after two years eight months and thirteen days my Xbox has given up the ghost with the dreaded ring of death:(

If I was unable to wait the 3 weeks for repair and the wife would let me where would the best deals on xbox 360 be these days;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

I don't know how mine is still alive!I've bet the **** out of it and yet it struggles on!!lol

I'd nearly chance ebay for one, if that doesn't push your buttons maybe try gamestop or game. See what you can get. I can't think of anywhere that has any special deals on at the moment but i'm sure ther are 1 or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

send it to someone in Ireland to fix it and it would probably only take a week of course this costs money. There not all that complicated to fix.

I havn't fixed one in awhile but I could try it for you if you like free of charge. Im kind of losing touch with it and I dont want to forget incase it happens to mine which I have on nearly 24/7 :pac:

Surely better than going out and spending 200+ on one.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Mine croaked again last week. Despite the fact it had been in for repair 3 times already and was only a couple of weeks out of warranty MS wanted 100 quid for repair or a refurb.

Decided I didn't want to pay this and wait 3 weeks so picked up an arcade (with a falcon chipset - hopefully more reliable)
    E215 in game with a wireless controller and a game - Bad Company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

dazftw wrote: »
    send it to someone in Ireland to fix it and it would probably only take a week of course this costs money. There not all that complicated to fix.

I havn't fixed one in awhile but I could try it for you if you like free of charge. Im kind of losing touch with it and I dont want to forget incase it happens to mine which I have on nearly 24/7 :pac:

Surely better than going out and spending 200+ on one.

Thanks for the offer dazftw but it's already winging it's way to Germany.
    I am temped to pick up an arcade as the little one is playing it more and more so I could put the refurb one in the other room when it comes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Markjf wrote: »
    Well it’s happened after two years eight months and thirteen days my Xbox has given up the ghost with the dreaded ring of death:(

If I was unable to wait the 3 weeks for repair and the wife would let me where would the best deals on xbox 360 be these days;)

They are actually quite quick with getting them back to you when the RROD. Mine went about 2 months ago on a Monday night, went onto the xbox site filled in the form and I received an email with UPS labels. Popped the xbox into a box and dropped it off after work Tuesday at a UPS drop off. Xbox was back the following Tueday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

so I could put the refurb one in the other room when it comes back.

If your 360 is really fecked, Microsoft may send you a new one! they did for me when mine croaked! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

If your 360 is really fecked, Microsoft may send you a new one! they did for me when mine croaked! :)

Now that would be cool. Did they just send you the xbox are new leads, HD etc ?

So if I did get my own one back does anyone know if the warranty resets to 3 years for RROD and 1year for everthing else or do I just have 4 months left on my original warranty?

Thanks
    Mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

This might sound like a strange question, but the DVD drive in my Xbox is failing and I'm regularly getting unreadable disc errors. I'm wondering is there any quick way to RROD the Xbox so I can get it repaired for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

My friend just had his replaced for the same problem and I want to say it was about as old as yours was. He called them up and they fixed it for free. Certainly worth trying before you buy a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

A-Trak wrote: »
    Mine croaked again last week. Despite the fact it had been in for repair 3 times already and was only a couple of weeks out of warranty MS wanted 100 quid for repair or a refurb

How could it be outside of the MS warranty which is 3 years. No 360 is 3 years old till November this year:confused:. If it was to be fixed more than that you are practically entitled to a new console from MS, you could have blagged an Elite and a game no problem.
    Beyond 3 times is a joke.

• Advertisement

AdMMM wrote: »
    This might sound like a strange question, but the DVD drive in my Xbox is failing and I'm regularly getting unreadable disc errors. I'm wondering is there any quick way to RROD the Xbox so I can get it repaired for free?

Yep, cover up the vents with tape or a big towel and play a game till it overheats, won't take long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Now that would be cool. Did they just send you the xbox are new leads, HD etc ?

So if I did get my own one back does anyone know if the warranty resets to 3 years for RROD and 1year for everthing else or do I just have 4 months left on my original warranty?

Thanks
    Mark.

You only send them the console itself, no leads or HDD! i'm not sure about the warranty thing but you'd think there would have to be a warranty on repairs too. Probably not for the full 3 years though or you could just keep getting free xbox repairs for life in theory! Hmm......

If you have no recipt, then it goes by the production date on the back of the console if I recall correctly, but I think they keep a record of what console you have and what and if it was replaced or repaired after your first RROD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

How could it be outside of the MS warranty which is 3 years. No 360 is 3 years old till November this year:confused:. If it was to be fixed more than that you are practically entitled to a new console from MS, you could have blagged an Elite and a game no problem.
    Beyond 3 times is a joke.

3 year warranty covers RRoD only, everything else falls under 1yr warranty unfortunately.
    And 3 hours on to support escalating each time to a supervisor didn't get me a free repair. Albeit they agreed to swap it out immed, but not for a new box but a refurb which I wasn't having.

So off I went and bought a brand new xbox. That'll show them who's boss:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

Got mine repaired here - http://consolerepairsireland.ie/ last year. He did it in 3 days and it has been perfect since. Might be a quicker option for you.

Advertisement