Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panniers for road bike

Options
  • 19-08-2008 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to commute to work from next week and need to be able to bring a change of clothes and a few small items. I'm looking into putting panniers on my road bike (Giant SCR 3} but would like to be able to remove them quickly as the need arises. Any suggestions on what I should get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think the SCR 3 has rack mounts, in which case I would get a lightweight rear rack (I have a Tortec Ultralite) and panniers. Probably best to consider waterproof ones of which Ortlieb have a very good reputation if a bit expensive.

The panniers will just clip on and off in an instant; the rack will come off easily enough, just four hex bolts. It's only 400g though so it won't be killing you if you just left it on any case.

Other options that could well be suitable for your use as it doesn't sound like you will be carrying very much would be a large saddlebag like a Carradice. Some of these will just attach to a saddle (sometimes needing a small adapter if you don't have bag hoops) but with the larger ones they generally suggest a supporting rack which again attaches to saddle but is far smaller than a full rear rack.

You can also get a rack that attaches to the seatpost but may not be such a good idea if you have rack mounts anyway, won't be as stable, won't carry as much stuff, won't stop the bags going into the wheel, won't be any lighter either. Only marginally easier to detatch. Certainly don't do it with a carbon seatpost.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyco

Tubus fly racks are brilliant and tubus also make mounts to fit on the quick release skewer which are really easy to take off. With a little ortlieb pannier you cant go wrong. I've travelled thousands of miles with this combination and it's flawless. The racks are usually really expensive (worth every penny) but i found a pair in cycleways and they didn't know what it was so got them for €25-THank you Cycleways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I have a topeak rack and bag system on my city bike (trek 7.5) which has an alu seat post. Whilst it is heavier than a conventional rack system I find the fact that it can be clipped on and off with ease means I can strip the bike down if I want to go for a spin. Topeak are apparently doing a carbon rear rack these days as are bontrager....... I could never justify parting with that kind of money for a rack though!

Advertisement