Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to go back to college

Options
  • 19-08-2008 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi there, hope someone can give me some advice.

I have a friend who is 22. He done his leaving 3 years ago and got 495pts. He wanted to do Radiography but had not enough points. He could not do it in the Nothern Irish Colleges because he only had pass maths.
    He took his second choice and done it for 2yrs (he hated it). After taking a year out he would love to go back and do Radiography or something similar.
    Is there any 'back door routes' he can take?
    He will not be able to apply as a mature student until 2010.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 scatriona

Isn't 23 yrs the mature age?
    He could try applying to UK colleges, many more places there for Radiography & Radiotherapy. Some may still have vacancies through the UCAS 'clearing' system and advertise them on their websites.

Sinead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 tapjlk6

Thank you Sinead,

i will tell him that. Hopefully he will get some joy

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

A mature student in Ireland is 23 or over. Theirs a few in my course.
    He will get into radiography no bother then.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

If he does decide to go back to uni as a mature student he should make sure to get some work experience in the area of radiography to show his interest. There is only a few places secured for mature students so there will be competition for places.

The UK will most certainly take him on with his points. Tell him to ring up the colleges and speak to the admission tutor of Radiography. They might make an exception and give him a place even though he hasn't applied through UCAS. I just checked the UCAS clearing site and there is at least 20 universities with vacancies in Radiography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

I was just thinking about this are you not able to apply with your points if you have enough for your course?

Like say when you applied they only ran your couse in 1 college but now run it in more with less requirements?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 scatriona

Radiography is only offered in 1 college in Rep of Ireland, 510 pts I think on the CAO.
    But your friend should apply as a mature student (23+) as their (495) points are very high.

Advertisement