Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1000euro fine

Options
  • 19-08-2008 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

have any learner drivers been fined for driving while not accompanied by a fully licensed driver? are the garda realy enforcing that new rule?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

A very good point there lad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

metalstorm wrote: »
    have any learner drivers been fined for driving while not accompanied by a fully licensed driver? are the garda realy enforcing that new rule?

Check out the LEarning to Drive section. Apparently it is being enforced. Don't think anyone has posted anything about fines though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I konw of four fella's who have gotten pulled. Two fella's got the fine, because they were cheeky to the guard and the car was packed out with young fella's. The other fella got away with a warning because he was being polite etc.

The fourth fella saw the garda check point, pulled over and turned on his hazards to pretend he was looking for something and then turned around and drove back the other way. To his "surprise" the gardaí were soon behind him sirons blaring. Long story short, the garda said to him if he has a criminal record he would expect a bill in the post.

I'm guessing they are not enforcing it full on, but are taking a more lenient approach it separate cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

The official stance is for a lenient approach although if a learner is caught committing another offence it will be more likely that person will be prosecuted. However make sure you are displaying the L plates even if you are unaccompanied. There is nothing I hate more than someone trying to pull the wool over my eyes than saying they haven't got there licence with them but when questioned further they are on a Learner permit.

Be honest and polite and you should get that in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,175 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

TheNog wrote: »
    The official stance is for a lenient approach although if a learner is caught committing another offence it will be more likely that person will be prosecuted. However make sure you are displaying the L plates even if you are unaccompanied. There is nothing I hate more than someone trying to pull the wool over my eyes than saying they haven't got there licence with them but when questioned further they are on a Learner permit.

I'd nearly say that is the unofficial stance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I've had experience of being stopped on a couple of checkpoints while driving unaccompanied and not displaying L-plates. I'm normally very courtious and openly admit that I'm on my 1st provisional ( Technically I had a provisional 12 years ago but aparently after 10 years you don't get a 2nd one, you have to apply for a 1st provo again) . Normally it's a random breath test which I pass. In fairness to the Gardai I think as long as you're not acting the maggot, speeding, driving dangerously etc. they'll let you get on with your trip. My car is also about as powerful as a lawnmower. Keep your car taxed, insured NCT'd and you'll be fine. IMO the gardai have bigger fish to fry than a a 30 something eejit driving a FiAT Seicento unaccompinied..

Anyway, my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

newbie2 wrote: »
    I've had experience of being stopped on a couple of checkpoints while driving unaccompanied and not displaying L-plates. I'm normally very courtious and openly admit that I'm on my 1st provisional ( Technically I had a provisional 12 years ago but aparently after 10 years you don't get a 2nd one, you have to apply for a 1st provo again) . Normally it's a random breath test which I pass. In fairness to the Gardai I think as long as you're not acting the maggot, speeding, driving dangerously etc. they'll let you get on with your trip. My car is also about as powerful as a lawnmower. Keep your car taxed, insured NCT'd and you'll be fine. IMO the gardai have bigger fish to fry than a a 30 something eejit driving a FiAT Seicento unaccompinied..

Anyway, my 2 cents

I know I'm off topic, but CHRIST ON A BIKE, PASS YOUR TEST!!:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Got stopped with only one L-plate on the back (the front wasnt displayed) and no accompanied driver. When the guards said they are gonna take a common approach they meant it. They were very reasonable about it when I was stopped and just said not to drive if you can without a full liecensed driver.
    Such bad timing when I got stopped as their were two cars ahead of me who were doing the bollix in their 1ltr modified corsa's and I was stuck behind them so they assumed I was apart of the group.

I actually havent heard of anyone getting fined tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

TheNog wrote: »

Could not agree more with the Nog. Please put L plates up for the rest of us that use the roads. Plus from my experiance you get yourself more in the ****.

I know one or two weapons that have no L plates up on the car, no full license and really have no clue.

But I agree with the learner drivers, on how steep the fine is 1000euro is a bit over the top.

Now how the minister can see driving without a license on par with the following is madness

Threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour in a public place 1000euro MAX

Failure to comply with the direction of a member of An Garda Siochana 1000euro MAX

Trespass on a building, etc. 1000euro MAX

Just, a tad bit on the heavy side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Basically If you're not acting the maggot you'll be fine...If you get pulled be polite and not all like "go catch a real criminal" etc... Most gardai at checkpoints will give you a warning and tell you be on your way etc... but if you're driving like a spanner you're gonna get treated like one...

• Advertisement
Advertisement