Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HALIFAX Debit Card -ALDI/LIDL

Options
  • 19-08-2008 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I've opened a current account with Halifax recently, and received their Debit Card. It seems OK, apparently working in 24 million outlets worldwide, but NOT IN LIDL OR ALDI. The bank staff inform me that Halifax is trying to resolve the issue and that the rollout of modfied card readers has begun in the 'cities'.

Can anyone say if the Halifax Debit Card now works in any LIDL or ALDI?:confused:

It seems the cards will only work in shops that accept CREDIT cards, which both ALDI and LIDL do not!?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This has always been the case. They only take Laser, and no other payment type. The halifax card is on visa so it is not accepted. It is the only store that i have come across with this. Lidl used to have GIANT signs above tills saying "Laser cards only"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Aldi and Lidl will NEVER accept visa cards, debit or otherwise. The only card they accept is laser, and this fact is really plainly advertised in their stores.

I think Halifax must not be aware of this. I think there have been issues in Ireland with their Visa debit card, in some smaller shops with old card readers which could not handle visa debit cards. I guess that's what they were referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

does anyone know why they don't accept credit cards? Do they charge higher fees or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    does anyone know why they don't accept credit cards? Do they charge higher fees or something?

Yes, that's exactly why.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Lidl in France takes Visa - I wouldn't rule out a change here at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

loyatemu wrote: »
    Lidl in France takes Visa - I wouldn't rule out a change here at some point.

Would be interesting to compare what kind of charges the retailers are charged by Visa in France as compared to Ireland, I'd imagine they would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hellbent

Thanks for the input on this. Although I was told that Halifax are working on the issue with LIDL and ALDI, I have my suspicions that they're not making much of an attempt to get the Visa Debit Card accepted there, just going through the motions maybe.

Halifax advertise the card as being a replacement for both a Laser and Credit card in one, but if they won't work at these outlets, then it's back to Laser for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

hellbent wrote: »
    Halifax advertise the card as being a replacement for both a Laser and Credit card in one, but if they won't work at these outlets, then it's back to Laser for me.

Its accepted in a lot more places than laser is! It can be used online, and worldwide and has the cashback option aswell. Unless you shop only in lidl whats the point?

davton wrote: »
    Its accepted in a lot more places than laser is! It can be used online, and worldwide and has the cashback option aswell. Unless you shop only in lidl whats the point?

My point is that it should at least work in it's home country, especially when Halifax make no mention on their online and in-bank information that its not all its cracked up to be. Why would anyone want a card that had limited use at home?

They make a great play of being able to use it online, but reading the terms and conditions, it's not clear regarding the extent of the indemnity they give you in the event of fraud. The wording states that you are covered for all transactions AFTER you ring them to advise of a possible fraudulent use of the card. Same applies if you lose the card or have it stolen.

I asked about the meaning of this ambiguous clause, and was told that reimbursement by Halifax depended on the nature, location, etc., of the purchases made; that automatic reimbursement or a maximum liability was not part of the terms.
    My Laser card guarantees a maximum liability of around éuro 63 in such cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Lidl & Aldi choose not to use Visa because a CC charge is from 1.5% -> 3% of a sale. That's not Halifaxs fault. I'm sure Halifax advertise the card as being accepted wherever you see the Visa sign. They're not going to list the shops it will and won't work in.

A laser card charge is 12c per sale.

I could be wrong with those figures there (I don't know if they've changed since I saw those charges ages ago)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Same in Holland,

Visa isn't really used, even in Large retailers, its hit and miss really.

They accept PIN(Similar to Laser, 25c/Transaction)
    Chipknip (No Irish equivolent, top up electronic wallet on the same card, No Transaction fee)

Abroad, PIN is Maestro and works pretty much anywhere they take Mastercard, same with Irish Laser cards, they work here just fine.

Thanks for the input, all. This topic is wandering into the relative merits of Visa Debit as against Laser - my fault entirely. At the outset I just wanted to confirm if what I was being fed by a bank official - that ALDI/LIDL & Halifax were involved in a rollout scheme, starting in Dublin, to introduce acceptance of Visa Debit at their tills was true or not.

So far, it looks highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've got a dim memory of when Lidl and Aldi first rolled out in the UK. I seem to remember that they only dealt in hard cash - no cheques accepted, not even with a guarantee card. It's obviously been a long haul for them to accept any kind of non-cash payment since.

I read somewhere, about a year ago, that, because the Germans don't like owing money, and that credit cards aren't that widespread in Germany for that reason (not to mention the odd credit card fraud that takes place), very few German shops offer plastic facilities. The ones that do only do so to keep the tourists happy.

It's the same when you buy online. Most of them get paid through International Banking Transfers, with the minority having credit-card facilities, and a smaller number only allowing the latter for German/Austrian issued cards.

Some changes must be afoot however. On a recent trip to Germany I couldn't help but notice the usual credit card logos by the tills in Aldi Sud. Perhaps it is only a matter of time before they appear in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I think Lidl might accept your card hellbent. Go into your local store and ask one of the cashiers. Or ring 1800 347 447.

I think Lidl might accept your card hellbent. Go into your local store and ask one of the cashiers. Or ring 1800 347 447.

Thanks Black Wizard, but I did ask. And got the stony reply "no, we don't accept them", like she was fed up being asked that same question.

Anyway it's not the end of the world, I just need to remember to bring lots of cash along when shopping in these 2 stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

hellbent wrote: »
    My point is that it should at least work in it's home country, especially when Halifax make no mention on their online and in-bank information that its not all its cracked up to be. Why would anyone want a card that had limited use at home?
    What do you mean it should work in its home country?Its not a laser card,laser cards are simply a brand of debit cards.

Advertisement