Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private forum list

Options
  • 19-08-2008 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Just a thought...wait

<<
    >>
    OO
    OK Gandalf isn't here.

Could we get a list of private fora?
    I know that some are just for a certain few friends, but some like the Lolocaust are there for people with a certain interest, its just that those fora need to screen applicants. Would it not make sense to ave a list that people could look at, explaining each fora, and that way they could apply for membership of those they like?
    Rather than having fora that people could enjoy, but just don't know exist.

Just a thought.
    Uh-oh here comes Gandalf.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I support this, there's nothing more irritating than clicking a link and get that spiel about how you might be trying to access the Soccor forum. No, just no. Not with a gun to my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Hmmmmmmm... aren't they private for a reason? :confused:

And I'm not divulging details of my "Extreme Ironing And Trouser Pressing" forum.. no shagging way!

I assume it would be up to the private forum mods/members to promote them, assuming they want to(/should).

Extreme Ironing ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I support this, there's nothing more irritating than clicking a link and get that spiel about how you might be trying to access the Soccor forum. No, just no. Not with a gun to my head.
    That's what made me think. I clicked a link to a forum that sounded weird, and I still have no idea what that forum does.

That's what made me think. I clicked a link to a forum that sounded weird, and I still have no idea what that forum does.
    Generally it's stuff like Lubnip(i think i was a member once...)/#boards etc. but then they don't really serve much of a purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

...but then they don't really serve much of a purpose.
    /raises eyebrow

...so, you don't like mudkips eh...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Generally it's stuff like Lubnip(i think i was a member once...)/#boards etc. but then they don't really serve much of a purpose.

Dont you have to be in a clique to be in those private forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

what clique? ¬_¬

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

There's your problem...you should have cliqued it....

I for one support this new suggestion of listing private fora...:D

Quality wrote: »
    Dont you have to be in a clique to be in those private forums?
    Rules 1 and 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

There are no private forums, move on nothing to see here........

* adds The_Minister to the "list".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Have to agree with the op. I'm sick of getting "you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What's a lubnip?

Some sort of terminal illness I heard.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sarky wrote: »
    What's a lubnip?
    Whats Ask Doctor Demento and Esoteric Order of Dagon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh, you don't want to know about those. And you REALLY don't want to know about the Dagon forum.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Perhaps a distinction should be made between:
    • Private forums: These should not be listed.
    • Restricted forums: These should be listed and have a blurb explaining what the forum is about and who to contact for access.

I have no idea if this is possible with vBulletin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Everytime i go to the "Kingdom of Heaven" - -it says "Go to Hell"
    ...and i can't find either?

HlpKthxbai

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

IRLConor wrote: »
    Perhaps a distinction should be made between:
    • Private forums: These should not be listed.
    • Restricted forums: These should be listed and have a blurb explaining what the forum is about and who to contact for access.

I have no idea if this is possible with vBulletin though.

Well there's no need for any fancy changes/features in vBulletin really.

A single stickied thread in the Newbies & FAQ forum could list the appropriate forums along with a small blurb and contact details.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There are private forums? What about my free speech? I am sure this intrudes on it.

• Advertisement

There are private forums? What about my free speech? I am sure this intrudes on it.
    You should stand up for yourself - you have rights. One minute now, and i'll just dig up the number for the Irish Forums Regulator....

nevf wrote: »
    You should stand up for yourself - you have rights. One minute now, and i'll just dig up the number for the Irish Forums Regulator....
    1800-555-4836(GTFO)

1800-555-4836(GTFO)
    brilliant! got there before me - thanks.
    they should help you on your quest for justice...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

We I can tell you there is a private sub-forum of Magic & Illusion ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Private forums are private for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Restricted access forums are already publically listed, but just don't allow you in when you click on the link, such as Soccer and S & S.

Many of the private forums are already listed in the wiki too ;)

FWIW, if you go here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=676

You may find a tonne of private forums that you never knew you had access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

The Clique says: NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

javaboy wrote: »
    Well there's no need for any fancy changes/features in vBulletin really.

A single stickied thread in the Newbies & FAQ forum could list the appropriate forums along with a small blurb and contact details.

Duh like did you ever think to check the biki ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

How does on request to join these Private forums? I'd like to join lolcats, I think :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Duh like did you ever think to check the biki ?

Yup and I know about the pages detailing the supar sekrit forums too. In fairness, I'd say a lot of people never venture near the Biki.

Anyway my point was that there would not be any need for fancy vBulletin features just to list the blurbs and forum links/contact details.

Advertisement