Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Shopping Centre Redevelopment!

Options
  • 19-08-2008 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi Guys just saw these pics of the soon to be redeveloped Galway Shopping centre, imho they are 1000 times better than the current building that stands and finally might offer a decent place to shop in Galway.. fingers crossed it gets the go ahead next week..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Sorry the pics came out so small. You can check them out on http://www.lsharch.co.uk/portfolio_retail_mixed_gal.htm the architects homepage ;-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can hardly contain myself at the prospect of more chain shops in a development designed by an architect who never graduated from Lego Duplo.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

i remember the last time it was open air back in the 80's, then they improved it by putting a roof on it..

the only way they can improve it more is redesigning the front of it again... from the auto shop the the gas place on the far end need to be revamped, make it look less crappy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

those pics look a lot like the new development in Mervue, "CROWN SQUARE". Then again most shopping centres are starting to look the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

OP - Are you sure they are the right drawings. I think thats for the Crown Site; http://www.crownsquare.ie/index.htm

I doubt the Galway Shopping Centre redevelopment will ever happen. The road infrastructure just isn't in that area to take all the extra shoppers that would be needed to make it worth it and the units will probably be expensive to rent. Some of the existing tenants will probably re-locate to the new Mervue site too.

I was in Athlone recently and the shops are way better but rent is probaly way cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

The only way to improve it would be to demolish it and start from scratch, and while they are at it put a proper junction instead of the god-damn roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

sgthighway wrote: »
    OP - Are you sure they are the right drawings. I think thats for the Crown Site; http://www.crownsquare.ie/index.htm

I doubt the Galway Shopping Centre redevelopment will ever happen. The road infrastructure just isn't in that area to take all the extra shoppers that would be needed to make it worth it and the units will probably be expensive to rent. Some of the existing tenants will probably re-locate to the new Mervue site too.

I was in Athlone recently and the shops are way better but rent is probaly way cheaper.

Yeah there's no way that could do it with the current infrastructure.
    dubhthach wrote: »
    The only way to improve it would be to demolish it and start from scratch, and while they are at it put a proper junction instead of the god-damn roundabout.

It would be a good opportunity to get the infrastructure changed here. What kind of a junction do you think they need?

Yes they are the current proposals for the GSC, check out the link i provided above, also the entrance to the existing roundabout is to be blocked up and a new rd is to be constructed between the sean mulvoy rd and the shopping centre, lands were sold to the centre from the city council over a year ago, so chances are this will get the green light, a decision is expected on the 24th of this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Jammyd wrote: »
    Yes they are the current proposals for the GSC, check out the link i provided above, also the entrance to the existing roundabout is to be blocked up and a new rd is to be constructed between the sean mulvoy rd and the shopping centre, lands were sold to the centre from the city council over a year ago, so chances are this will get the green light, a decision is expected on the 24th of this month.

Hmmm I suppose it would be nice if they got rid of that exit from tesco's but the bohermore roundabout cannot take anymore traffic...simple as. Actually neither roundabout can. (The Q's coming on and off the traffic light roundabout are horrendous) If they put an exit onto Sean Mulvoy which way is the the traffic going to have to go? With the extra traffic the the whole road will be backlogged which would cause backlogs into the shopping centre then!

And who gave permission for the massive complex across from the huntsman - wellpark. There's no surrounding infrastructure for that place.

Have to agree with you there, but then again this is Galway city where any decent developments take twice as long to go ahead if they even are approved, in perspective by the time all phases would be complete Galway should have the outer city bypass which will take alot of congestion off the headford rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

And who gave permission for the massive complex across from the huntsman - wellpark.
    Some fat cat who never has to sit in traffic coming down Monivea road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

biko wrote: »
    Some fat cat who never has to sit in traffic coming down Monivea road.

I hate those pesky fatcats down in city hall.

These guys are the owners http://www.harcourtdevelopments.com/galway.html

This has been talked about for ages, over 10 years. A lot of the objections relate to traffic and some from existing businesses in the centre.

The old atlantic homecare shop has been empty because of this, the plan was to join it to Tesco and add 20,000 sq feet to the shop.

There was something in the paper recently (a quick search couldn't find it) about this, basically closing the entrance on the roundabout and upgrading the junction to a flyover type.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

From galwaynews.ie
    Mon 25th August 2008

Galway city council has signalled it intends granting permission for the creation of a new urban village on the site of the Galway Shopping Centre.
    The development, which will dramatically transform the city skyline, will see the demolition of the existing shopping centre and the creation of a new super-junction in place of the Headford road roundabout.

But the shopping centre owners have two final hurdles to over come before they get the official green light.
    Their application must be approved by the city council, and the public has four more weeks to make final submissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

360,000 retail, 270,000 residential, 33,000 restaurants, 52,000 health and leisure and 2000 car parking spaces
    That's madness. Who needs 33,000 resturants and then only 2000 car parking spaces? Madness I say, tis doomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭serfboard

Suppose there's no hope of any bus services going through/to the proposed new centre?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

serfboard wrote: »
    Suppose there's no hope of any bus services going through/to the proposed new centre?

Yes there is, the Ballinfoyle bus travelling that way, stops right outside in fact.
    This is the Tesco shopping centre in Galway, 10 minute walk from the square :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Looks fantastic, This has been in the planning stages for ages, looks like there's a push on it now.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

I hope they put a Zavvi in there - Galway is crying out for one, seeing that they're already in Limerick, Cork, Dublin, Sligo, Athlone.....

It will definitelty be interesting to see what happens with the existing M&S and Debenhams seem so they are dropping anchor in the new development!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Jammyd wrote: »
    It will definitelty be interesting to see what happens with the existing M&S and Debenhams seem so they are dropping anchor in the new development!

I imaine they will keep the existing stores as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I don't get how this is going to work down at tescos without knocking the whole frickin lot???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's madness. Who needs 33,000 resturants and then only 2000 car parking spaces? Madness I say, tis doomed!

Where did these figures come from? Sounds a wee bit on the high side.

33.000 square feet of restaurants, not that big considering the number that will be there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Bring it on if it gets rid of that bast@rd roundabout and its bloody traffic lights.

I heard on Galway bay FM that they propose to remove the shopping centre entrance and the roundabout completely and replace it with a more "simple" (are things ever simple though) 4 way traffic light controlled junction (i.e. a crossroads). Long way down the line though before it will happen in my opinion. Have we not got a little bit of overkill on the shopping centre front anyway?? The new crown one in Mervue, Dunnes in Ballybrit, the Kumarket:p, Northpoint on the Tuam road and now this. Seems to be a lot of shops for this side of town. I'm dreading it to be honest. Herself is drooling at the prospect and that means hours of walking around after her for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Also I spotted some TREES in the plans!
    Clr. Crowe will have a canary!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Bring it on if it gets rid of that bast@rd roundabout and its bloody traffic lights.
    It's only going to make things worse, their incapable of improving things.

Just look at ClaireGalway. It's been a traffic problem for years and years, every expert and lay person alike knew this and knew it would only get worse. So what do they do, build a load of houses and amenities across the road from the problem junction so things got even worse. They'll be doing the same thing here.

anyone here whats happening with this scheme?? planning was granted in March 2010 by an bord pleanala?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

They would want to worry about finding tenants for all the empty units first before they go redeveloping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

They would want to worry about finding tenants for all the empty units first before they go redeveloping

A work in progress ............watch this space..

Advertisement