Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday 20 Aug Boards Spin

Options
  • 19-08-2008 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭

Plan is up the mountains. _Possibly_ with a bit of the "Boards Time Trial Challenge" although that may leave us up on Cruagh Road with nowhere to go and a little short of our desired mileage. Maybe that general direction as far as Johnny Foxes, then straight on along that "fun" undulating road Eniskerry direction and at the end right up the main road to Glencree and back over Military Road?

6.15-6.30 at Lambs Cross? 6.15 if ye can all make it but 6.30 if you can't?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

6.15 sounds good to me. Looking forward to seeing people take that road from Johnnie Foxes to Enniskerry on a fixie!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I will try and make it for 6:15 ... not sure about the TT challenge though ... or you can try the 'how many times can you go up and down that same hill while Caroline goes up just once' challenge.

People, remember BRING LIGHTS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

how long is the desired distance. i'm a boards nubie/cycling fanatic whos been busy rennovating(wrecking) his house since the 200 insted of training. i'm hoping to do about 50/70k from inchicore to enniskerry and maybe glencree if my legs are good to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I've a band practice tonight. Bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I'll be there, on the geared bike, the fixer will be resting at home. :) Is Lamb's Cross the crossroads at the top of Sandyford, on the road out to Stepaside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

lukester wrote: »
    I'll be there, on the geared bike, the fixer will be resting at home. :) Is Lamb's Cross the crossroads at the top of Sandyford, on the road out to Stepaside?
    Yes, where the Gala shop is here. If you have a fixie you have to bring it!

blorg wrote: »
    Yes, where the Gala shop is here. If you have a fixie you have to bring it!
    Cheers.

I'd love to bring it, I actually missed it this morning on the ride to work, but if I've any hope of not being several hours behind you lot I'll need some friendlier ratios for the hills. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I hate rest days but I am going to have to pull out. My legs are tired ... because of you all and your motorized legs ... Will be back out tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

How many km roughly will you's be covering? I'm a noob to the cyclin but might pop along this evening.

Was thinking of something like this, 40km but a fair bit of climbing.

• Advertisement

Hmmm might give it a miss so. Most I've done since I got the bike was 16km so 40km might be that bit too much :(
    Thanks anyway and enjoy

fletch- it's flexible, you could come as far as Johnny Foxes and then turn back from there, not everyone does the full distance.

Something like this, just under 14km (still a bit of climbing mind.)

Kool....might head along so if the rain holds off (still aint got any proper wet gear)...only got a hybrid so i'll probably be trailing far behind everyone with their road bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Sorry but I have to bail as well. Won't get something urgent finished in time. I might see you up that way later as I'll be going for a spin but I'll never get home and then out to Lamb's Cross in time. Nice route too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

If I can find my way to Lambs Cross I'll do it.
    Somebody wear a Boards journey so I know who you are!

I'm not much of a climber, but I'm big and ugly enough to mind myself at the back.

blorg wrote: »
    Was thinking of something like this, 40km but a fair bit of climbing.
    Nice, decent bit of climbing there. I'll be slow but willing :pac:

Edit: should be there for 6.15

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Is the 15 miniute window of oppertunity still open? might not make 6.15 but would love to shake off my lurker mantle and finally do a Boards spin!

Will non helmet wearers be frowned upon? :D

fletch wrote: »
    Will non helmet wearers be frowned upon? :D
    You will be in good company there, reckon we are about 50/50 :D

@'68 Fastback- maybe a bit although I am looking like I will be under some time pressure to get back. I'll PM you my phone number, may be possible for you to take a shortcut to catch up with us (emty is also looking like being late, so thinking of varying the route to go right at Foxes up Pine Forest and Cruagh Road to the viewpoint.)

Possible modification of the route to go right at Foxes and head up to the viewpoint as emty may be meeting us there. This might also offer an earlier abort point/shorter route for people who don't want to go on round by Glencree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Hi saw this, will head up should be there on time as coming from town. Like the others have to be back early enough (to make dinner!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

First!

Well, my first spin with Boards people (or indeed, any people) went quite well, midges excepted. I would and could have stayed out but it was getting dark.

I'd recommend it to anyone lurking who hasn't gone out yet. It's not that scary, honest. The pace is quite manageable, it's a nice evening out.

I think, altogether, we may have seen more bikes than cars on the roads this evening. The Wicklow mountains are like a bicycle utopia.

:)
    Have to say really enjoyed my first spin also even if I was kinda holding everybody up :o

Couldn't believe the lack of cars alright! From Johnnie Foxes all the way down to the Golden Ball I didn't meet one car!

Will definitely be going along again, hopefully this time with a big more practice behind me. Thanks everyone for making the noobs feel welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

That was one of the most enjoyable ones for me yet. Lovely roads, very few cars, and just such a beautiful evening!!

Nice climbs too. Felt very comfortable on them, if only I could say the same for my descents (although I felt a gradual margin of improvement last night).

fletch, was that you we met on your way back down to Johnnie Fox's? We were the two latecomers (me and 68fastback). Thanks for letting us know where the lads were if that was you.

Good to meet some new faces too (howye lukester).

Oh! And thanks to TinyExplosions for putting us in touch with blorg & co from the discomfort of his sickbed:) - hope you're feeling better mate.

unionman wrote: »
    fletch, was that you we met on your way back down to Johnnie Fox's? We were the two latecomers (me and 68fastback). Thanks for letting us know where the lads were if that was you.
    Yep...that was me :D Did ya catch up with them in the end?

Yeh weather was class alright, some beautiful scenery up past Johnnie Fox's too.

We did thanks, they were at the viewpoint and we all headed back the same way together. See you out on another one, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

unionman wrote: »
    Oh! And thanks to TinyExplosions for putting us in touch with blorg & co from the discomfort of his sickbed:) - hope you're feeling better mate.

I'm back in work, but still not feeling the Mae West -have managed to get my own Salubutomol fix though, so should survive!

I'm back in work, but still not feeling the Mae West -have managed to get my own Salubutomol fix though, so should survive!

Hang in there:D

Nice to meet y'all and put some faces to names. Rather confusing relating forum names to actual names- suggest spangly dual-name badges next time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

We can get all the jerseys monogrammed!!!

I was thinkin' about a "my name is" sticker on my helmet for sunday, but then realised it was lame.

Advertisement