Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wfb not interested in course fishing

Options
  • 20-08-2008 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

i live in the west of ireland and find it very difficult to find any good course fishing spots within a 40 mile radius. i love carp fishing but my nearest spot is roosky about 45 miles away.there is plenty of pike fishing but thats it no bream,carp,roach as such .wfb seem to be more pro salmon,trout and ante course i was told by wfb that they have no intentions of stocking carp in any lakes as there policy is not for indigenous speices are they aware central fisheries board are stocking lakes i think they are but just arent botherd does any one know of anywhere between roosky and westport that has carp NO:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

The fish species in a water have to do well for there to be a good reason to put them there. The underlying geology has a lot to do with it. Coarse fish thrive in eutrophic waters, that is to say, richly fertilised waters.

The west of Ireland is on rocky terrain, with acid water coming into the lakes out of the peaty bogs in the surrounding high ground. this means that the western lakes are oligotrophic (meaning mountainy, barren, clear) or mesotrophic (meaning transitional between the one and other.

Trout and game fish thrive better in the acid lakes. So there is no point in introducing more mouths to feed, if you know in advance they will be stunted in growth and never reach their normal size. Think of all those lakes with 5 species of fish, but all of them small.
    In many acid (oligotrophic) western waters there is so little food, that the sea trout and salmon have evolved to leave them while young and go to sea where there is food to eat, only coming back when they are fully grown.

The more you come down into the lowlands near to the west the more you will find what you're looking for.

Average temperatures also come into play. The west is cooler average temperature and that puts carp into a sleep-hibernation state.
    Carp is a warmwater fish. That's why they grow big in Europe where the summer is hotter. On the western seaboard carp would have only a very short feeding active season and never achieve large size.

OTOH pike, perch ,roach are coarse fish that do better in cold water. And look at the sizes they grow to in the lakes around you - they get to specimen size.

So the WRB are working with the waters they have. Anglers on the east coast often drive to the west to find game fishing above the average, you will have to drive to the middle or east (of Ireland) to fish warmwater species fishing for exactly the same reasons.

But if you look around you will find plenty of good coarse fishing in the Moycullen lakes, the Castlebar lakes, and many lakes in the Roscommon areas, not to mention the fishing in Lough Corrib itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

40 miles isnt far unless you dont drive, ive driven to france twice in persuit of carp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Warhammer

40 miles isnt far unless you dont drive, ive driven to france twice in persuit of carp.
    And how did the fishing go?
    And where in France?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Warhammer wrote: »
    And how did the fishing go?
    And where in France?

Carp fishing in France is amazing, was fishing on the Sonne for carp and catfish, we just caught some small catfish between 10 and 25LBS but got some nice carp up to 32LBS. the caravan park where we had the tent also had a lake of about 10 acres and we used to fish here at night and early morning with floating dog buscuits and marshmallows, great sport with carp almost every cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Warhammer

Carp fishing in France is amazing, was fishing on the Sonne for carp and catfish, we just caught some small catfish between 10 and 25LBS but got some nice carp up to 32LBS. the caravan park where we had the tent also had a lake of about 10 acres and we used to fish here at night and early morning with floating dog buscuits and marshmallows, great sport with carp almost every cast.
    Thats great stuff.
    I would love that,and you were catching every cast! with dog biscuits:eek: and marshmallows:eek:.
    I say those carp eat anything!
    Can give me info or website of the Sonne fishing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement