Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anthropology

• 20-08-2008 12:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, going in to anthropology with two arts subjects in September. Any thoughts/advice on the course?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

Hi ya, i done anthro last year. i thought it was a good subject, not too heavy compared to other subjects.

At times i felt it was a bit boring in some modules while some people loved it, but overall it was good especially the first module about the forest people.

Just try and attend the tutorials and lectures and you should be alright, they tend to be quite easy going i feel as a dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I like Anthro, can be boring but it depends on what you're into. I'm keeping it on, don't think the first years will be having Larry this year though, which would be a pity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Cheers guys, what are the hours like every week? I'm doing a BA in anthropology but I'm taking it with two arts subjects. How important are the tutorials really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

BJC wrote: »
    Cheers guys, what are the hours like every week? I'm doing a BA in anthropology but I'm taking it with two arts subjects. How important are the tutorials really?
    http://www.maths.may.ie/staff/dredmond/timetable/

Enjoy

Also you will have tutorials on top of that and for us lucky Science students will have Labs AND tutorials.

I have 31 hours hoo-fúckin-ray :(

Cheers eamoss...although I found that timetable a wee bit mystifying. :pac:

• Advertisement

Tutorials are fairly important...don't skip em. Also there'll be LOADS of people selling second hand books for this subject, keep an eye out for posters etc.

Does anyone know if its the same sort of hours as arts seen as it pretty much IS arts? Thats usually about 16 hours a week, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Hated the subject as much as the department (personal, dont mind me....)

Usual advice applies as per all subjects, books disappear/hide around exam time (if you catch anyone doing it, kill them on sight and spare everyone else). Try to sort your structure from your function (understand the basic theories) from the start and the rest should fall into place.

And at the risk of a charter violation, dont take some of the lecturers too seriously :)

It is the exact same as Arts for the first year, second year it becomes a single honours subject, so you're looking at about 16 hours or so a week yeah.

Advertisement