Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dodging garda checkpoints.

Options
  • 20-08-2008 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Just something I have noticed recently going through several check-points are people who turn around to avoid it - And get away with it?!

Even last week I had some gobshyte in a nice BMW on front of me who decided to stop the whole road and wait for the other side of the traffic to clear before he could procede with his U-turn. I was so angered that he had the cheek to do this 150M away from the checkpoint and hold up the road for a good 10 seconds I decided to give him a little beep followed by other cars beeping. He got scared as the gardai clearly would hear this going on and decided to drive on towards the checkpoint and the gardai just waved him through without a bother ?! Clearly he had something to hide. :confused:

I mean, I have seen over in the UK they setup stingers around the corner from checkpoints so that if anybody does decide to swing around to avoid it they are caught. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult for gardai to set something like this up (all it takes is 1 extra car and a gardai, which wouldn't be a problem.. there is always more then enough gardai standing around at checkpoints) and you would be suprised the amount of people who would be caught and not just for motoring offences.

Oh also, I (and i'm sure the other drivers) didn't feel bad beeping the driver on front of me because why should I/we pay insurance, tax and ensure my car has a valid NCT and it be ok for other drivers not to and get away with it?

/rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

i couldnt agree with you more. what's the point in us paying taxes insurance etc, for others to get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Totally agree!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

+1.

I assume when guards see someone u-turn or park up after seeing the checkpoint the go after them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I remember approaching a checkpoint (if you could call it that, two Guards standing on the Dundrum bypass with no visable backup :rolleyes:) a good few months. Like your friend in the BMW, I turned around and went up the Main St of Dundrum. Not because I had anything to hide but because I was pissed off at the Guards amaterish attempt at a checkpoint. And the fact that they were holding things up longer then they should be. Don't get me wrong I've been stopped before on the Dundrum bypass and breathalised and no doubt will have occasion to meet the boys in blue again sometime in the future. The fact I could go up the Main St of Dundrum without any hassle says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    +1.

I assume when guards see someone u-turn or park up after seeing the checkpoint the go after them?

That would be the general assumption, but no I've seen it many times and nothing done or noticed.
    stepbar wrote: »
    I remember approaching a checkpoint (if you could call it that, two Guards standing on the Dundrum bypass with no visable backup :rolleyes:) a good few months. Like your friend in the BMW, I turned around and went up the Main St of Dundrum. Not because I had anything to hide but because I was pissed off at the Guards amaterish attempt at a checkpoint. And the fact that they were holding things up longer then they should be. Don't get me wrong I've been stopped before on the Dundrum bypass and breathalised and no doubt will have occasion to meet the boys in blue again sometime in the future. The fact I could go up the Main St of Dundrum without any hassle says it all really.

And I still don't really see the point in that apart from maybe beating the traffic but I would of thought you're only asking for hassle doing that.. obviously not :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

HungryJoey wrote: »
    That would be the general assumption, but no I've seen it many times and nothing done or noticed.

Typical I guess.:rolleyes:
    sc4rf4ce wrote: »
    because that bmw driver made it everyones business by holding up the show

Whats new there...:D:p

*joking*

My gf lives up a tiny lane near dundrum, which wouldn't get a lot of traffic (The main road that its off, and that the checkpoint was on definitely does though!). Its also a lane thats easy to miss.

One night, one of our friends was dropping us home, and just as we came around the corner with the little lane on our right, I noticed a Garda Checkpoint up ahead. My gf was pointing out the turn to the driver, who didn't really get enough notice, so kinda had to throw the car into the corner.

Literally 30 seconds later, Squad car came flying up behind us, and pulled us over. "Did you see that checkpoint back there?". Obviously we had, and told them so, and also told them that we weren't avoiding it, it simply wasn't on our route.

The Garda car then followed us all the way back to my Gf's house, and didn't leave until she had opened the front door....

Was kinda funny really, but I was impressed moreso than annoyed with the Gardaí's persistance!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

sounds like they were bored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

And I still don't really see the point in that apart from maybe beating the traffic but I would of thought you're only asking for hassle doing that.. obviously not :rolleyes:

Because I was only going to bleeden Tesco and it was already late enough when one should be in bed. And TBH if they were really serious about it they'd have had a checkpoint on the Main St of Dundrum as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Because I was only going to bleeden Tesco and it was already late enough when one should be in bed. And TBH if they were really serious about it they'd have had a checkpoint on the Main St of Dundrum as well.

Well you should have been in bed! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,916 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That checkpoint on the Dundrum Bypass is there every single time I'm in Dundrum after about 11pm. And they've never done more than glanced at my disks!

As goes the original topic, I've seen Guards do a checkpoint on the Straffan Road in Maynooth with another Guard hiding down in the housing estates each side of the checkpoint. Rare they get anyone at the checkpoint itself, but get quite a few down the estates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Seen this going through Mulhuddart one day. All the cars coming in the opposite direction where flashing their lights and loads of people started doing U turns. I thought the road ahead was blocked or there was an accident or something. It turned out to be a Garda checkpoint ahead.....couldn't believe all the people doing u turns....theres a lot of people with something to hide out there

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

gardai love setting up a checkpoint down from burdocks in christchurch. Arranged to pick the gf up from outside there as she was in town. so came up to the road and pulled in, it so looked like i was a avoiding it , garda come up and asks why im avoiding to road block and i go about explaining how i was picking up the gf and this is where i arranged to pick her up. Im sure he thought he had caught someone. He checked everything i dont think he believed me until the gf came up to the car. He looked almost disappointed when he waved me on.

Prob should have went through the checkpoint and waited at the other side.. ill know next time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

I've seen a number of convictions in local newspapers of people done for no tax/insurance/drink driving where they tried to avoid a checkpoint and the Guards seen them. Mind you in the country the queues for the checkpoints are often smaller so very hard for you to do a u-turn without being spotted. You'd be better taking the chance if you had someting to hide IMO, being spotted turning around/off is like a red flag to a bull!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Usually you see a second patrol car or a motorcycle cop as backup at many checkpoints in the event someone tries to do a u-turn or legger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

We used to set up a checkpoint with a standard traffic car and keep two more powerful cars (3.0 v6s) about half a mile above and below the main checkpoint to catch those who turn around.

Depends on the day and the numbers available tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭recycle

Joker wrote: »
    We used to set up a checkpoint with a standard traffic car and keep two more powerful cars (3.0 v6s) about half a mile above and below the main checkpoint to catch those who turn around.

Depends on the day and the numbers available tbh.

What a joke cuz people not paying a couple hundred quid road tax on their car is a serious threat to the State.

I really doubt the Gardas would waste those kind of resources ( ie two 3l cars and a squad car) on a routine traffic check. If they did, its pure waste

I would imagine most Gards wud prefer to be doing sumthin else than acting as roadside tax collectors for the sate. Surely lolipop ladies or parking inspectors could do that job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

recycle wrote: »
    What a joke cuz people not paying a couple hundred quid road tax on their car is a serious threat to the State.

I really doubt the Gardas would waste those kind of resources ( ie two 3l cars and a squad car) on a routine traffic check. If they did, its pure waste

I would imagine most Gards wud prefer to be doing sumthin else than acting as roadside tax collectors for the sate. Surely lolipop ladies or parking inspectors could do that job

I totally agree, the money would be better spent on education. Your post is a prime example of someone that has been let slip through our under funded education system without a decent standard of English. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I agree completely with you.

I think we are being stopped from doing actual speed checks so that the new cameras will look very good. The number of detections will skyrocket.

The Traffic Corps at our local station has 3 cars, while the local units (A, B, C & D) have only one car.

It's just the illusion of work, politicians like that sort of thing, it's their substitute for achievement*

*That quote is from Yes, Minister

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Some of us from time to time let the tax lapse, either knowingly or not. But even with getting stopped by the boys in blue, and getting a fine, you still have to pay arrears on the tax that you missed. Also, they charge a few extra quid too, because you let it lapse over a month.

Car tax should be included in fuel prices anyway, that way no-one could avoid it.

Checkpoints should be used exclusively for breathtesting, and insurance checking mostly, and valid licence too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,916 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Checkpoints should be used exclusively for breathtesting, and insurance checking mostly, and valid licence too.

Erm, why would they ignore you having 'forgotten' something you're sent a reminder about when they're already stopping you to check the other things? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I completely agree regarding the licence bit. I knew someone who had an expired USA licence (think it was a state of Oregon one - he was American) and despite living here was driving around for about a year with an expired licence. He was pulled over on the dual carriageway section going from the Celbridge exit on the N4 up to Intel due to speeding and was let off with a warning, despite having no valid licence and spouting rubbish about it "still being valid" for another month or so. No doubt he's still driving around with it out of date. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Its a job for computers and camera's, we've needed APNR here for yonks. The only way to check up on untaxed and uninsured drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Some of us from time to time let the tax lapse, either knowingly or not. But even with getting stopped by the boys in blue, and getting a fine, you still have to pay arrears on the tax that you missed. Also, they charge a few extra quid too, because you let it lapse over a month.

Car tax should be included in fuel prices anyway, that way no-one could avoid it.

Best answer to Tax issues "it's in the post" :p

Tbh, I haven't encountered many checkpoints only at like 12-3 in the morning here in Cork.
    Though I do remember coming back from Galway and the looders had a checkpoint on the Ennis By-Pass, wtf like

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

When i first started to drive some years back i had a problem with a lost taxbook which took some time to sort out and so i didnt have tax on my car. one day when i was heading out of dublin i saw a checkpoint up ahead so i pulled in to the side of the road and parked. i then waited till both gardai were dealing with two seperate motorists and drove straight by.:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

A girl I know has been driving around for almost 2 years with no tax and no insurance. Whenever she saw a checkpoint she just did a u-ey and kept getting away with it. She finally got caught at one on the Belgard Road a few weeks back. She hadn't even got the out of date discs in the car, but whatever sh*te she spouted, they gave her ten days to produce. Needless to say, she never bothered. I'm DYING to see if she gets summonsed now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

There was a case in cabra about 6 months ago where a taxi done a U-turn before a check point, they went after it thinking the driver had something to hide.

It was quite the opposite in fact, the taxi driver was being held at needle point by this guy who'd been robbing taxi drivers with syringes for the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,442 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I can't believe they waved your man through, OP
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Usually you see a second patrol car or a motorcycle cop as backup at many checkpoints in the event someone tries to do a u-turn or legger.

FWIW, the last time I saw someone dodge a garda checkpoint (in Lucan) there was indeed an extra bike, which immediately went of in pursuit of the dodger. You could see the expression of "nice one" on everybody's face :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

nothing more satisfying :)
    unkel wrote: »
    I can't believe they waved your man through, OP

FWIW, the last time I saw someone dodge a garda checkpoint (in Lucan) there was indeed an extra bike, which immediately went of in pursuit of the dodger. You could see the expression of "nice one" on everybody's face :)

• Advertisement

I mean, I have seen over in the UK they setup stingers around the corner from checkpoints so that if anybody does decide to swing around to avoid it they are caught.

/rant over

The police in the uk are not allowed to set up checkpoints in the road and stop all cars like in ireland. They can only stop a driver if he is doing something illegal, has a visible defect on his car or the reg shows up as having no insurance.

Advertisement