Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dodging garda checkpoints.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

I have come across the Guards funnelling traffic into checkpoints. A year or two back I wanted to turn left onto the Greenhills Road, but there was Garda at the junction who insisted I turn right. I thought the road to the left was blocked or something, but after turning right, a quarter of mile up the road at the next junction there was a checkpoint, which had not even been visible from the junction I was trying to turn left at due to bends in the road, so now I was going in totally the opposite direction to which I needed to go and in a hurry to be somewhere :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

The police in the uk are not allowed to set up checkpoints in the road and stop all cars like in ireland. They can only stop a driver if he is doing something illegal, has a visible defect on his car or the reg shows up as having no insurance.

But they do setup ANPR checkpoints/cameras (Or what ever its called) and they do catch people doing u-turns. Also they do setup spots to pull over any cars that do show up on the ANPR system or any car that has maybe a visable defect as you said. People do try to run from these.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

pandaboy wrote: »
    Best answer to Tax issues "it's in the post" :p

Tbh, I haven't encountered many checkpoints only at like 12-3 in the morning here in Cork.
    Though I do remember coming back from Galway and the looders had a checkpoint on the Ennis By-Pass, wtf like

Yes indeed, the only decent road and dual carriageway in Clare and the only road in twenty years of driving in Clare where I have seen a speed trap. Pure revenue generation and nothing to do with road safety.

HungryJoey wrote: »
    But they do setup ANPR checkpoints/cameras (Or what ever its called) and they do catch people doing u-turns. Also they do setup spots to pull over any cars that do show up on the ANPR system or any car that has maybe a visable defect as you said. People do try to run from these.

Yeah thats correct. I was just pointing out they cannot stop every car at a manned checkpoint in the road like in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

ktc1 wrote: »
    Yes indeed, the only decent road and dual carriageway in Clare and the only road in twenty years of driving in Clare where I have seen a speed trap. Pure revenue generation and nothing to do with road safety.

it's a thing of beauty, watching 100+ cars backed up in both lanes. stuck for 30 minutes. fecking idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Friend of mine was caught driving without insurance and tax and nct, about 10 days ago.
    He was approaching to the Garda Checkpoint when he made a turn in to other road to try to avoid it, but after a while Garda on the motorbike pulled him over and caught him so he has to go to court now.
    Do you what is the fine he is facing now for driving without insurance and tax and nct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Bobo78 wrote: »
    Do you what is the fine he is facing now for driving without insurance and tax and nct?

Not enough.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

The check point in finglas is usually outside my house but they have narrowed the road, so they have had to move a about 100 metres down the road.

one night i was getting a taxi home about 2am. the taxi dropped me off and then headed off with friend.

the guards came flying after the taxi, lights the works and started shouting at the taxi man that he was avoiding the checkpoint.

They explained the situation and the guard asked my friend for my address. now being a little worse for wear, she had no idea but told them exactly where the was, she was on the phone to me looking for my address and then the police done a drive by outside my house

all a bit crazy really

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

recycle wrote: »
    What a joke cuz people not paying a couple hundred quid road tax on their car is a serious threat to the State.
    People who drive uninsured are more likely to be guilty of other traffic offences, such as driving without a licence and indeed driving with ridiculously out of date tax and NCT. They're also more likely to be involved in criminal activity, so pulling people with no insurance is great way of also catching people in stolen vehicles, people going equipped to steal (burglars) and the like.

They do sometimes set up additional checkpoint on side roads. Was in the car with the other half driving, down the kimmage road lower. There was a checkpoint with a massive queue. So we skipped down a side road to u-turn and bypass the queue (I don't think we were going anywhere important in any kind of rush). There was a bike there stopping people who were trying to escape the checkpoint. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

A stint in jail hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,916 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Friend of mine was caught driving without insurance and tax and nct, about 10 days ago.
    He was approaching to the Garda Checkpoint when he made a turn in to other road to try to avoid it, but after a while Garda on the motorbike pulled him over and caught him so he has to go to court now.

Insurance - could be thousands, 5 points (enough to make an impact on insurance, if he ever gets any)
    Tax - usually a few hundreds
    NCT - rare for anyone to get prosecuted for this but he will be, no idea cause of that.

Has he been additionally charged for the trying to avoid? Not sure if it'd stand up in court ('I was just turning around, Judge') but they could at least try for interfering with a Garda in the course of their duties or whatever the offence is called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

I thought no insurance was an automatic ban. It used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I never went through it but was there occasional checkpoints westbound on the N4 just past the Spa Hotel? I'd heard guards would stop cars a little after the hotel entrance. Thinking they were smart, tax-dodgers would pull into the hotel to avoid the check, only to run into another guard waiting for them.

Thought it was a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

As far as I know he is not charged for dodging the checkpoint, but he will appear in court for not having insurance and tax.
    This friend of mine only got his driving licence at the beginning of this year and hi s been driving without insurance for quite a while now and his now been caught and his only 18.
    After reading some of the posts from the archive i found out that he can get 5 points for no insurance and 5 points for no tax, so that s pretty bad for him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I've "dodged" them on occasion simply because I was in a hurry and the line was going to slow.

smart cops would only have them on one way streets

After reading some of the posts from the archive i found out that he can get 5 points for no insurance and 5 points for no tax, so that s pretty bad for him now.

Should be alot worse for him, 5 points? He'll get over that pretty quickly.

Again IMO a ban should be mandatory if caught without insurance, like they can do it in the UK. None of this slap on the wrist malarkey :rolleyes:

quarryman wrote: »
    I never went through it but was there occasional checkpoints westbound on the N4 just past the Spa Hotel? I'd heard guards would stop cars a little after the hotel entrance. Thinking they were smart, tax-dodgers would pull into the hotel to avoid the check, only to run into another guard waiting for them.

Thought it was a great idea.

How did they intend to get back OUT of the Spa Hotel - sit there till the cops went? Its only got a LI/LO to the N4.

Further proof that only muppets would need to get away ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

irishbird wrote: »
    The check point in finglas is usually outside my house but they have narrowed the road, so they have had to move a about 100 metres down the road.

one night i was getting a taxi home about 2am. the taxi dropped me off and then headed off with friend.

the guards came flying after the taxi, lights the works and started shouting at the taxi man that he was avoiding the checkpoint.

They explained the situation and the guard asked my friend for my address. now being a little worse for wear, she had no idea but told them exactly where the was, she was on the phone to me looking for my address and then the police done a drive by outside my house

all a bit crazy really

who'd they kill?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

MYOB wrote: »
    How did they intend to get back OUT of the Spa Hotel - sit there till the cops went?

Walk down to McDonalds for a BigMac.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

MYOB wrote: »
    How did they intend to get back OUT of the Spa Hotel - sit there till the cops went? Its only got a LI/LO to the N4.

Further proof that only muppets would need to get away ;)

wondered that myself. sitting around for 30 minutes for the checkpoint to go away is probably better than getting caught with no tax i guess.

Or maybe they just wanted to go in for a few MORE pints....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Just something I have noticed recently going through several check-points are people who turn around to avoid it - And get away with it?!

Even last week I had some gobshyte in a nice BMW on front of me who decided to stop the whole road and wait for the other side of the traffic to clear before he could procede with his U-turn. I was so angered that he had the cheek to do this 150M away from the checkpoint and hold up the road for a good 10 seconds I decided to give him a little beep followed by other cars beeping. He got scared as the gardai clearly would hear this going on and decided to drive on towards the checkpoint and the gardai just waved him through without a bother ?! Clearly he had something to hide. :confused:

I mean, I have seen over in the UK they setup stingers around the corner from checkpoints so that if anybody does decide to swing around to avoid it they are caught. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult for gardai to set something like this up (all it takes is 1 extra car and a gardai, which wouldn't be a problem.. there is always more then enough gardai standing around at checkpoints) and you would be suprised the amount of people who would be caught and not just for motoring offences.

Oh also, I (and i'm sure the other drivers) didn't feel bad beeping the driver on front of me because why should I/we pay insurance, tax and ensure my car has a valid NCT and it be ok for other drivers not to and get away with it?

/rant over

Let other people do what they want aslong as it doesn't affect you

Let other people do what they want aslong as it doesn't affect you

Unfortunetly it does. The more uninsured drivers are on the road, the more I am going to pay on MY insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

yep I agree others that dont pay insurance should be shot on site.

re the tax/nct - they're both b.s. - so if others can get away with them, do so by all means.

Unfortunetly it does. The more uninsured drivers are on the road, the more I am going to pay on MY insurance.

And the more not paying motor tax, the lower the overall tax take, which hits all of us in direct and indirect taxation, loss of services, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Don't care what anyone thinks, but it is a sense of " Yeah, got you, serves you right yer scumbag!" whenever I see people turning right off the Swords Road ( Pinnoch Hill ) into Kettles Lane to avoid the checkpoint set up outside the Texaco, they invariably have another car parked in Kettles Lane to check you out AND do you for the no right turn....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Just something I have noticed recently going through several check-points are people who turn around to avoid it - And get away with it?!

Even last week I had some gobshyte in a nice BMW on front of me who decided to stop the whole road and wait for the other side of the traffic to clear before he could procede with his U-turn. I was so angered that he had the cheek to do this 150M away from the checkpoint and hold up the road for a good 10 seconds I decided to give him a little beep followed by other cars beeping. He got scared as the gardai clearly would hear this going on and decided to drive on towards the checkpoint and the gardai just waved him through without a bother ?! Clearly he had something to hide. :confused:

I mean, I have seen over in the UK they setup stingers around the corner from checkpoints so that if anybody does decide to swing around to avoid it they are caught. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult for gardai to set something like this up (all it takes is 1 extra car and a gardai, which wouldn't be a problem.. there is always more then enough gardai standing around at checkpoints) and you would be suprised the amount of people who would be caught and not just for motoring offences.

Oh also, I (and i'm sure the other drivers) didn't feel bad beeping the driver on front of me because why should I/we pay insurance, tax and ensure my car has a valid NCT and it be ok for other drivers not to and get away with it?

/rant over

How do you know he was guilty of anything? Are you psychic?

Advertisement