Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if you fail a supplemental?

Options
  • 20-08-2008 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

So in about a week, I have to retake the one exam I failed during my first year of the DT249 evening course (I'm a mature student BTW) - I'm not feeling very confident that'll make it through this time either, something that is entirely my fault.

What I'm wondering about though is what happens next? The letter I got for the repeats seems to indicate that if you fail the supplemental, well that's it, you can't rejoin the course - which would mean the other four modules I passed were a waste of time. Is that true? Or can you actually retake the module this year with the new first year class? Obviously, because I can't go on to second year, I'd be losing a year by doing this, but at least it would be an option. Does anyone know if that's possible? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

You are allowed 4 attempts at a module before you're out altogether. Talk to the exams office but depending on the type of module you might be allowed to go to the next year carrying it or else you might have to pass it next year before you're allowed on to the next year. I think it depends on whether the module is a pre-req for whats in your next year or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

it is possible that the course head (ciaran o'leary for 249 i believe) will allow you to carry the subject. being a part-time course, that could well be a lot of work. i fudged up part-time study by having too much work to do "in the real world" so i'm facing the prospect of taking an extra year to complete just a few modules. my own fault though...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Its ok you can carry forward a max of two subjects into the next year. Just resit them at xmas, wouldn advise it though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Well, I'll do my best to pass the exam this time around but wanted to know what happens if I don't so thanks for the replies... I'm not sure if I can carry a first year subject, they're all considered core as far as I know and the one I failed is a part 1 of 2, with the 2nd part been a year 2, semester 2 module. If I can carry the module, it will be a lot of extra work (especially since year 2 has more modules in a single semester than year 1 had) but if it meant not losing an extra year, then great...

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

:(Ok, kinda in the same boat, I failed a few exams last year n really dont tink i'll pass them this time around. My problem is i'm just finished third year full time and dont intend on going back to repeat the whole year...whats the story if i FAIL?? does that mean my 3 years in DIT are a waste???:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement