Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galaga Legions

• 20-08-2008 8:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭

Another big release this week, but I'm not feelin' it with this one .... In any videos I've seen, it just doesn't really look like Galaga to me. For anyone who grabs it during the day, I'd be interested to hear your impressions. Should be available for download at 9am.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

It's no Geometry Wars that's for sure! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think it looks really interesting. Will see what the reviews say first though. however I agree it looks nothinglike galaga. Still the simplistic style might work. Zanac X Zanac was similarly simplistic and that game rocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Going home for lunch, so I'll post up some feedback on the demo later.

OK, unless I read reviews of this that say "Don't be put off by level 1, this gets much better later on", I won't be getting this.

In Geometry Wars 2, you have a feeling that one wrong move will cost you a life. Its gets the adrenaline going, trying to stay alive - getting through a gate or blowing up a blackhole just in the nick of time gets the blood pumping and gives you a sense of achievement.

In Galaga Legion, there is no such feeling. Enemies fly sedately across the screen in pretty formations - you aim for the lead enemy that will automatically kill the rest, and a new formation appears. I did this for 4 or 5 minutes until the demo ended. Meh. Complete and utter boredom. I didn't even die once.

There is no noticeable soundtrack (there is some kind of music but its not memorable at all), and sound effects are non existant. No big explosion sounds, and weedy "pew pew" sound effects for your weapons.

Like I said, I'll read reviews with interest, but I think I'll be passing on this one.

Mr E wrote: »
    Like I said, I'll read reviews with interest, but I think I'll be passing on this one.

Same as that. An Arcade game has to immediately impress if it's gonna be bought! i've wasted too much money on ****e ones already! (i'm looking at you Alien Hominid!)

• Advertisement

Review up on Eurogamer

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=218825

8/10 not too shabby!

Yeah I saw that... maybe it DOES get better later on. Can't tell that from the demo though. With Geometry Wars 2, Braid's Speed Run/Stars, and Bionic Commando Rearmed, I have enough to keep me going.

Mr E wrote: »
    Geometry Wars 2, Braid and Bionic Commando Rearmed

Yep indeedio! probably the best 3 arcade games ever right there! bloody fantastic!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm, I actually really liked the demo. Some of the patterns really did require quick thinking not to get killed on and the scoring system is excellent. Not exactly challenging put a great game for achieving high scores on. Think I'll be getting it.

Advertisement