Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this freak you out ladies?

Options
  • 20-08-2008 9:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭

If you'r in a shopping centre or walking down the street either by yourself or with friends and i was to walk up and say something like...

Hey girls...
    then direct my conversation to the one i liked and say
    whats your name?
    im blah blah
    was just walking by and had to come and say hi ur gorgeous....
    [pause]
    Are u single?
    [yes/no]
    I have to get back to work mind if i take ur number and ill give u a text later?

would you be like errrr weirdo or would u think wow hes smooth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

well to be honest id think it a bit freaky to be honest...
    to be taken unawares like that but id prob be a bit chuffed
    afterwards...you know picking you out and all:), am not too sure tho
    in this day and age...
    but then theres the knight on a white horse and all that......
    (me myself id run like hell)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

I would be like 'eerrr weirdo'!!

Not because you had the courage to do it but because of the way it were done.

I think something like 'Hi, hope you don't mind me saying but you look gorgeous today..I'd love to grab a coffee with you, here's my number, it'd be great if you texted me so that we could hook up' or something along those lines..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Sorry, but probably "errrr weirdo"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭Tak3n

sar84 wrote: »
    Sorry, but probably "errrr weirdo"

What about if im really charming? :D

What would a guy say then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭Tak3n

I would be like 'eerrr weirdo'!!

Not because you had the courage to do it but because of the way it were done.

I think something like 'Hi, hope you don't mind me saying but you look gorgeous today..I'd love to grab a coffee with you, here's my number, it'd be great if you texted me so that we could hook up' or something along those lines..

What about... hey im looking for the post office any idea where it is?

then i make eye contact with the hottie and say
    hey whats your name etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I've done this type of thing before but you need to pick your target to be honnest. It they look to be the clearly outgoing type then go for it, if they are being quite within their group then they might be quiet themselves or having an off day and might not appreciate the attention as much.
    Tak3n wrote: »
    What about... hey im looking for the post office any idea where it is?

then i make eye contact with the hottie and say
    hey whats your name etc etc

From a dudes point of view.....no. It's a set up, it smells like a set up and looks like a set up. If you want to be the type of person who impresses a lass by having the balls to approach them then just do it.

Women are amazing, if you drop the lines and bull**** and set ups and talking to them as it they are people they seem to respond really well for some reason!

Who knew!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I'm sorry I'd find it all a bit strange.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I dunno, I think we need to be more like the Americans & just take a chance on people more. They seem to go on a few dates with people to see if they like them, with no strings attached. Here, every date is loaded with too much meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'd be thinking "I wonder what his success rate is" because if a guy is doing that it's usually not just to one girl. It's a spam version of trying to geta date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The staring-at-girl's-chests rule applies:

If they think you are hot: not a weirdo. If not: weirdo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Completely agree that if you drop the lines and the bull with women you'll have a much better result. However as always I think time and place are important here. If someone approached me while I was walking with the girls (ie not on a night out) I would definitely think weirdo.

Even if he was hot!

However if I may, on thinking about this I also agree that the Americans have dating as an art sewn up! And they would have no issue with this...

Hmm not sure now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

that would freak me out a bit. would never txt him or even give him my number but it's good for the aul ego:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'd think you were taking the piss or trying to sell me something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Magpie!

I'd put you in the same category as the weirdos who always try to talk to me on the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

It would totally depend on the guy. If he was funny, charming and seemed genuine etc I wouldn't have a problem with it, but if he came across as lechy I would not be into it.
    I think most girls would be secretly delighted with themselves to be approached out of the blue like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Magpie! wrote: »
    I'd put you in the same category as the weirdos who always try to talk to me on the bus.

Loads of girls get that.
    There always seems to be one guy near the front of the bus that sometimes says hello... and then asks for money.
    The fecker even wants correct change only!! He then gives you a piece of paper (with his number I think?) and then ignores you and does the same routine with the person behind you.

Very odd indeed...

I haven't met him but... oh wait this NEEDS a new thread!

I love talking to strangers on the bus.
    When the old people are gone, and I'm left with my own generation. I'm going to be seriously depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Magpie! wrote: »
    I haven't met him but... oh wait this NEEDS a new thread!

Lots of girls get chatted up in shops too.
    You probably think they're all weirdos that think you're psychological issues as they keep asking you 'can I help you?'
    "Help? Help? F&*k you weirdo!!!"

Oh my god! I'm so blonde this morning! I didn't read your post right you were talking about the driver. D'oh!

As soon as I read "ask for money" i remembered a guy who did ask me for money for the bus but I was thinking "no he didn't give me his phone number but he did give me a holy medal and i felt like an awful bitch for thinking he was a weirdo"

Yeah i should go back to bed I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

No not weird, but can't say I'd be too quick to hand out my number on the street without so much as a proper conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 amom

have to say id be a total sucker for that!(nope i'm not sad or deluded!!!) but id really like the fact you had balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I'm a guy, and if a girl came up to me like that and asked me i would think it was weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

I would go awfully red. As in blushing, I wouldn't give my number. Way too shy, wouldn't think it was weird or anything, just nice. It would be me not having any b*lls in this instance:o

I totally agree with Moonbaby, I just adore some old people on the bus. They are so friendly. I wish I'll be like that when I'm old.

I totally agree with Moonbaby, I just adore some old people on the bus. They are so friendly. I wish I'll be like that when I'm old.

The difference is they were like that when they were young.
    We are going to miserable old coots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Would put it in the weird box I'm afraid.

Would probably go in the same box as a guy I met once night, and when in the pub when we were chatting he was like "so, do you want to go have sex" :eek:. No beating around the bush for some people :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

What perfect timing.

A guy came up to me yesterday (mid to late thirties, greying beard and glasses) as I was walking down to the shop on my own for lunch, and said "excuse me!" When I pulled me headphones down and turned to stare at him he said "I apologise if this is going to sound quite rude..."

I braced myself for an insult.

"..but I was driving by and saw you walking and just had to come over and see if you wouldn't mind going for a coffee with me sometime this week?"

I was in such a state of shock that when he asked for my number I gave it without thinking. And then (and I really HATE when guys do this) he rang it to make sure it was a real number. I then dodged questions about where exactly I'm working and now I'm angry with myself for not being able to say no.

I have no backbone... :(

So despite my friendliness and how 'approachable' I may seem, in my head I'm thinking "errr weirdo". Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Dinxminx wrote: »
    So despite my friendliness and how 'approachable' I may seem, in my head I'm thinking "errr weirdo". Sorry.

He sounded a tad pushy to be honest. Checking it's the real number?

What a tard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

I'd think you were a cocky eejit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Dinxminx wrote: »
    What perfect timing.

A guy came up to me yesterday (mid to late thirties, greying beard and glasses) as I was walking down to the shop on my own for lunch, and said "excuse me!" When I pulled me headphones down and turned to stare at him he said "I apologise if this is going to sound quite rude..."

I braced myself for an insult.

"..but I was driving by and saw you walking and just had to come over and see if you wouldn't mind going for a coffee with me sometime this week?"

I was in such a state of shock that when he asked for my number I gave it without thinking. And then (and I really HATE when guys do this) he rang it to make sure it was a real number. I then dodged questions about where exactly I'm working and now I'm angry with myself for not being able to say no.

I have no backbone... :(

That sounds weirder than what the op is describing, in fairness he was driving and pulled over to chase you down, tried to find out as much stalking info as he could and checked you didn't fake number him. Was he much older than you?

Op to be honest i'm find that approach odd also, i think you'd definitely have to give your number and not ask for their number if you were doing it. I'd be more inclined to it if the guy saw me first made eye contact and smiled and i had smiled back i think.

Advertisement