Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this freak you out ladies?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Malari wrote: »
    How romantic! Not "I was in love with my wife so I turned her down"

This is why I think married men are a turn-off. The attitude is that they would get into trouble if they cheated, rather than they actually don't want to :rolleyes:

Think you might be reading too much into that statement. I'm sure he is in love with his wife. He was just talking man:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Tak3n wrote: »
    If you'r in a shopping centre or walking down the street either by yourself or with friends and i was to walk up and say something like...
    I bet some of you have had lads come at you in pubs or clubs with one-liners in the same way? Especially when it's late and near close? Does the setting make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Think you might be reading too much into that statement. I'm sure he is in love with his wife. He was just talking man:D

It's ok, just a bit tongue in cheek :) I thought it sounded funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Tak3n wrote: »
    If you'r in a shopping centre or walking down the street either by yourself or with friends and i was to walk up and say something like...

Hey girls...
    then direct my conversation to the one i liked and say
    whats your name?
    im blah blah
    was just walking by and had to come and say hi ur gorgeous....
    [pause]
    Are u single?
    [yes/no]
    I have to get back to work mind if i take ur number and ill give u a text later?

would you be like errrr weirdo or would u think wow hes smooth?

Yes this would freak me out, its way too american

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

PillyPen wrote: »
    So that isn't common in Ireland? How do people get together then? Could be difficult. Also, is it common at all in Ireland for women to ask men out?

Girl, do you know how difficult it is to find a man in Ireland that will ask you out????
    For me, major culture shock. And I really, really like the Irish guys......
    And if a girl ask them she's too forward.
    I have the same question. How do people get together in this country????

Different thread altogether probably. Sorry for off topic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

bit weird tbh yeah i'd think of they are taking the piss or just really really weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Girl, do you know how difficult it is to find a man in Ireland that will ask you out????
    For me, major culture shock. And I really, really like the Irish guys......
    And if a girl ask them she's too forward.

Different thread altogether probably. Sorry for off topic!

Wait, are you an American, too? Don't tell me these things! I was hoping the next year would be endless strings of hot Irish boys with adorable accents! You're killing the dream! Lolol.

OP, I thought of an example. It might be irrelevant to you because it's "too American", whatever the feck that means, but here goes. A couple of weeks ago I was at a restaurant in DC with my gay boyfriend, and we were at a table in front of a window facing the sidewalk. My buddy went off to the bathroom, and this older guy walked by, smiled at me, walked on, came back, made a flirty little face, walked on, came back and counted the glasses on the table, gave a disappointed face, and walked on. He was too old for me, mid 40s at least, and looked like Jeff Daniels (not good, imo), but I would've ignored all that because the way he approached it was so cute. It all was for the best since I'm not from DC, but it was very flattering nonetheless.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Drink.

It's the only reason anybody in Ireland has ever procreated.

PillyPen wrote: »
    Wait, are you an American, too? Don't tell me these things! I was hoping the next year would be endless strings of hot Irish boys with adorable accents! You're killing the dream! Lolol.

No I'm not, PP, I think my grammar sometimes shows I'm not originally English-speaking...:o

well I was hoping the last 18 moths would have been the above and well, yeah I see them on Grafton Street when walking from work and I see them when I'm out clubbing but I. Am. So. Shy. So no can do on the 'Walk up to attractive boy in bar to chat up' thing for me.
    Talking to girls, grand! Talking to men I don't fancy, fine.
    Talking to someone I think is hot? Jawlock chrisis.

Wanna PM me? Coz I don't wanna take over thread.....

From my own experience meeting women outside of alcohol situations (being a non-drinker this is kind of a must for me as I have drunk-girl-guilt) they have to be organic. I've asked women for their numbers in odd ways. I once met a girl in a museum coffee shop and we just got talking. Lots of people meet in all sorts of different ways.

I once had a female friend who was, and I cannot understate this, drop dead gorgeous. She used to tell me she found it hard to meet guys cause she would have her "bitch face" on all day so as to discourage the weirdos from hitting on her but the side effect was no guys she liked would either. I just think you have to be open to it.

As an Irish guy who has no issue with going up and talking to women I can tell you for a fact Irish women make it very hard. It's like an interview which, if you fail to pass, you get a good cold shoulder and a self-esteem beating. That's incredibly daunting for a guy to face on a regular basis.

If every single girl in here decided on one weekend that they would chat guys up that they fancied they would realise how completely messed up you've made us guys by the amount of guys who will think you are winding them up. It would be a fun experiment to see how many of you had a good time and how many of you found it a liberating act.

Just let me know which weekend you pick...:P

• Advertisement

From my own experience meeting women outside of alcohol situations (being a non-drinker this is kind of a must for me as I have drunk-girl-guilt) they have to be organic. I've asked women for their numbers in odd ways. I once met a girl in a museum coffee shop and we just got talking. Lots of people meet in all sorts of different ways.

I once had a female friend who was, and I cannot understate this, drop dead gorgeous. She used to tell me she found it hard to meet guys cause she would have her "bitch face" on all day so as to discourage the weirdos from hitting on her but the side effect was no guys she liked would either. I just think you have to be open to it.

As an Irish guy who has no issue with going up and talking to women I can tell you for a fact Irish women make it very hard. It's like an interview which, if you fail to pass, you get a good cold shoulder and a self-esteem beating. That's incredibly daunting for a guy to face on a regular basis.

If every single girl in here decided on one weekend that they would chat guys up that they fancied they would realise how completely messed up you've made us guys by the amount of guys who will think you are winding them up. It would be a fun experiment to see how many of you had a good time and how many of you found it a liberating act.

Just let me know which weekend you pick...:P

Oh any given weekend, haha. And sir, I don't think I own a b*tch face, :D
    See the green smiley? That's me. Quite a lot. I sh*t you not.
    So I think I have to buy your theory there that yez are messed up and I have to take matter into my own hands that little bit further.

It will take a lot of practice and I have to wear my kabuki make-up because people, those blushing attacks??? No messing.....

And it will not seem a bit forward??? What will a guy think??? Godh this really needs to be a new thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

And it will not seem a bit forward??? What will a guy think??? Godh this really needs to be a new thread...

Depends on the guy

personally I would be chuffed to bits if a girl asked me out

New thread opened in PI, I don't think it's very ladies lounge since I mainly wish for male input.

Kaboom
    boom

:eek::rolleyes:

Depends on the guy

personally I would be chuffed to bits if a girl asked me out

Totally agree. Must admit it's only happened once and I was in Baltimore but massively flattering.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

Interesting thread.
    I think Irish guys and girls all seem to have this invisible barrier surrounding them when they are out in public. This stays with them, to a degree when they are out in pubs and clubs. It's like 'don't f*cking look at me, dont talk to me, keep at least a 5 foot away from me'.
    We all go to clubs and pubs, but we keep to ourselves and the people that we came in with. Maybe 1 in 5 nights out, you might get talking to someone you didn't already know. It's crazy! What's the point?
    I got talking to a girl a a bar a couple of weeks ago and got on like a house of fire. I don't even know if she spoke to me first. I found her easy to talk to, friendly and outgoing. Is it a coincidence she wasn't irish? I dont know.
    Why can't it all go back to the way it used to be in the teeny discos when we were younger. "My friend thinks your cute. Will you meet him?" That simple like.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

lol this thread - exactly what i told my mates how open minded people from other country.

personally i have no problem with it under the circumstances of :me/the person is tidy clean steady confindence smilling,why not?he/she looks nice,glad to meet some new people spontaneously :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

iMax wrote:
    I have found though that more women flirt with you when you 're married, what's that all about then ?

Its a pyschological thing called 'preselection', basically women sense (or see) you are already taken by another woman so you must be of some worth or value, a catch basically, and are therefore more attracted to you. Some studies have shown men behave in certain manners subconciously that are more attrative to women when they are married or engaged, not purposely, or even subconciously to attract women - but women are attracted to them because they do this.

I agree that Irish people, women especially tend to put on a bitch face - mainly for good reason - theyve had gob****es approach them so many times with annoying comments, cheesy compliments and sleazyness, theyre bound to enforce some kind of pyschological sheild to avoid it happening again... from watching certain types of men- if I was an attractive female in Ireland my head would be wrecked

I approach a lot of people and the ones who are most open to conversation are definitely polish, central european (german, dutch belgian) or scandinavian... with the latter being an especially friendly group of women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I remember years ago i was walking around town with some friends,when i feel an arm going around my waist.I thought it was my friends messing until i turned and saw this fella,he had his arm around my waist and said to me i had a lovely arse.Well i was gone,my friends thought it was gas and they stood thier pissing themselves laughing.I told him to feck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭tinkletoes

It would freak me out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SheOnline

I have experienced such guys. Some of them were crazy. Getting rid of them was a BIG job. But hey, you might be lucky, so never say never! Make sure you give him something you can change, e.g. an e-mail addy, that doesn´t mean much to you or a phone number you can get rid of tommorow. Also make sure you meet him in a safe place. He might be nuts so enjoy things as longs as he isn´t being dangerous yet! :D Oh, always stick to safety measures... but this is true for ALL men, not just this kind. There is another possibility! He might REALLY find you beautiful! Hey, WHY NOT? I have known men who told me so, even though I was a stranger to them and they were OK. I am not lying. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement