Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nuts and bolts

Options
  • 20-08-2008 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm missing a bolt for to stop my mudguard scraping the tyre.
    By bolt I mean one of those self locking yokes with an eyelet going through the shaft where the stay goes through (make any sense?). The LBS weren't too forthcoming, pretty much suggesting I needed to buy a set of new mudguards for want of a single bolt.
    Any suggestions where I could source this? (and a single stopper for my handlebar while I'm at it).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Head into Square Wheel Cycles on Temple Lane, they should be able to sort you out.

With regard to the stopper, maybe a change of bar tape is in order?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Never heard of that place, will give it a go. wrt to the stopper, the tape (and bike) are only a few months old - it just got loose and fell out somewhere. Aside from the cost I am crap at doing tape jobs so would rather not.

Be warned, it's notoriously difficult to find. It's on the right as you walk down from Dame Street. There's no sign over the door, it's just steps down into a basement with narrow ramps for wheeling bikes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Sean_K wrote: »
    Be warned, it's notoriously difficult to find. It's on the right as you walk down from Dame Street. There's no sign over the door, it's just steps down into a basement with narrow ramps for wheeling bikes down.

I've been past a few times recently and it's always been closed and looks abandoned. Anyone seen it open in the last couple of months?

souter wrote: »
    The LBS weren't too forthcoming, pretty much suggesting I needed to buy a set of new mudguards for want of a single bolt.

which shop was it? time to name and shame the useless.

I was basically told where to go when I went into Penny Farthing looking for spokes on Saturday

• Advertisement

stuf wrote: »
    I've been past a few times recently and it's always been closed and looks abandoned. Anyone seen it open in the last couple of months?

Yea it was almost definitely open up to about a month ago anyway which was the last time I was in there. Opens about 10 I think.

I may have been a bit harsh on them - they did acknowledge the absurdity of the situation and blamed their suppliers, suggested trying back next week (that old chestnut).
    I'm a bit scared to name names, suffice to say they've a none too flattering profile here to date. And they're in Fairview. Ooops.

That sounds fair enough. Penny Farthing's attitude to me was very rude and dismissive. Basically saying "why should I sell you a spoke for 50c when I can charge you €15 to fix your wheel"

TBH you friends in Fairview seem to have a good attitude - name and unshame them (as if there's tons of bike shops in Fairview) ;)

Okay, twas City Cycles.
    Might try Sean Duff tomorrow - the scraping is driving me crazy. I keep pushing it one side while in motion, which fixes it for about 30 seconds but will lose me fingers sooner or later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Take a look at your tyre where it's rubbing too, just in case there's something big and mouldy gouging a hole in your tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

In fairness I do think those bolts are a bit hard to get hold of.

This set may have what you need but I wouldn't guarantee it, might want to ask them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Sean_K wrote: »

Here's a pic for anybody looking for it...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cianginty/2259473130/

From Curved Street you should see it slightly to the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I was basically told where to go when I went into Penny Farthing looking for spokes on Saturday

They're a right shower in there aren't they?!

Tried Sean Duff, no joy (though they did ooh and ahh my bike, which was nice).
    Then an attempted DIY effort with a brake cable retainer, a rat-tail file and a power drill. Which ended in the inevitable tears.
    Currently using a cable tie as a bodge job, this is getting frustrating.
    Thanks for the link Blorg, think those are the job as they looks like my mudguards http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/product.php?xProd=3566&xSec=4096&jssCart=5314535f266d6556edcad66ae5dde35f .
    I'll order a bunch of them to preserve my sanity if they ever go missing again.

those SKS ones seem to be a bit cheaper on CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25794

some other good full SKS guards too

EDIT - just realised you were talking bolts and not replacement mudguards... carry on

Advertisement