Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paint pod

Options
  • 20-08-2008 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

can anyone tell me if these are any good and worth buying???? have a full house to paint!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What is a paint pod?

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

Hi,

I looked at these but to few colours and at €40 a tin its a bit much, and they don't clean as well as it looks on the ad. A little more work with the roller and you have all the colours and different paint sizes to pick from. Only my two cents worth though!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Plus it's nearly 100 quid for the pod thingy itself !

Victor

The paint pod is the new revolutionary way of painting from dulux paint. It's some sort of pod that u holds the paint and u dip the roller in and it puts the right amount of paint on it for u and it's all so much easier than just an ordinary roller......(well so the ad says) !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

The Paint Runner is the business.
    PML0000593.jpg

Did a reasonably sized kitchen in about 3 hours.

Wife did the hall stairs and landing in a day and a half.

Theres an old thread about it here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-2055127657.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Pimp Ninja wrote: »
    The Paint Runner is the business.
    PML0000593.jpg

Did a reasonably sized kitchen in about 3 hours.

Wife did the hall stairs and landing in a day and a half.

Theres an old thread about it here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-2055127657.html

I've that yoke and was told it's a piece of crap so never bothered using it, now i hear it's great and i've just finished the hall stairs and landing :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

Paint Pod and all other similar products are just ways for the companys to shift less paint for more money........ Save time perhaps, but waste allot of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bobeye

as a painter myself i can safly say that these things are a total waste of money and time, coverage - crap, finish - crap, price - crap, and as for cleaning its self - bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,120 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm just a humble DIY-er but if I've learned anything, it's give any 'wonder product' a few years to see how it really works out (and if it's any good, it'll be cheaper by then, and copied by others) and that there are no real shortcuts to a good job. You have to take your time to get it right and with painting/varnishing the preparation is everything. The idea of this yoke pumping out paint at a constant rate sounds like a recipe for a big mess to me, unless you have brand new perfectly smooth perfectly finished walls to paint, AND the skill to keep the thing moving over the wall at exactly the right speed all the time. The walls in our house had old oil paint here, old emulsion there, bare plaster here, patched there, all of which absorb paint at a different rate.

The only slightly wacky product I've used and can recommend is the white ceiling paint that's pink when it's wet. Brilliant for seeing what you are doing on the second coat. For the first coat, the cheap stuff in the 10L tubs is just as good. Thinned down, cheap emulsion makes a good 'leveller' on a patchy wall, too, is cheap as chips and meant we could use 2 topcoats of the dear paint on a bad wall instead of 3.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sportbilly

I bought one. They are crap.

I've painted half a ceiling and I'm on my way back to B&Q to try and get a refund on the grounds that B&Q are there to help and not hinder the vulnerable DIYer and should therefore not supply crap like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I can buy emulsion paint for a small part of the price of these gimmicks, and I can buy rollers for a few euros in packs of two, so that cleaning the rollers is hardly worth the bother. With them I can get an almost infinite range of colours, and I can buy for peanuts a floor covering to mop up any splashes. I can buy all of that and paint every wall in the house for a lot less than €100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hNkUyQaXwE

Check out segment @ 3.38 Best paint job ever!

Have a friend who used the pod. He said he liked it. Its quick. His one complaint was availability of paint. Looking at the comments here am inclinded to believe he said it was good to protect his investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

If this paint pod was any good there would be a "professional" version of it available for use by professional painters and decorators- guess what, there isn't. It's probably fine for the DIYer who just want to give a room a facelift and at that a DIYer who doesn't want to get his hands dirty! I'd rather spend the money on quality paint (in whatever shade I wanted), some decent roller sleves and a pro quality cage and handle. The only advance I've seen in painting in recent years is the widespread use of high volume, low pressure sprayers, which do a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 irlbloke

Tried a point pod, absolutely useless. Power kept going off and had to get down and re gig the wire. paint not even. very heavy to hold doing a ceiling. very expensive. Ended up bringing it back and found using a normal roller easier and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I wouldn't be for them at all,

For me the hardest part and most time consuming part of painting is cutting in (this is ignoring prep work). The paint pod cannot do this, it makes the easy bit of painting more hassle in my opinion.

I havn't used one, but would not consider one, the selection of paint is a huge thing too - but im sure once you bought one "pod" of paint, you could fill that with any paint from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Some years ago, we bought semi finished house and I did the finishing, meaning every square inch of the interior of a 2500' sq house had to be painted by moi.

I bought an Earlex PR9 to help with the job, and did it ever! I would never approach another large painting job without one.

pr9.jpghttp://www.earlex.co.uk/html/cps_html/pr9.htm

When I had finished painting the interior of the new house, and after a shed load of other work, we moved in. I then had the prospect of repainting the kitchen ceiling in the old house, removing flaking paint from half the house and then repainting the complete exterior from scratch and a meter high wall that ran the length of the house.

That's at least two to three coats on everything for two houses and it did all that on one set of alkaline batteries, I kid you not.

One 'gripe' I would have is that it is a hard task master, in that you can just keep painting at a fair old rate, only pausing every now and then to refill. The thing can really wear you out because of the rate of progress that is possible. Who needs aerobics!

Cleaning it properly is a chore but if you are doing a big job, so long as you leave it full of paint and wrap the roller in cling film you only really need to clean it properly when changing paints or when finishing up and storing it.

The extension poles are essential and allow ceilings to be done readily, but oh my aching neck.

The end seals and plastic parts do wear a bit and paint can start to drip out the ends but that is only after you have painted most of a whole house, and you can flip the roller so the dribble goes on the roller and doesn't actually fall - most of the time ;-)

Spares are available.

Not faultless but the positives are huge. I wouldn't get one for just one or two rooms worth though.

Advertisement