Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Glasses (1st time wearer) - hard to focus

• 20-08-2008 10:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I started wearing my glasses on Monday, very slight correction for computer work only, everything else is fine. The problem is that I feel a constant 'pressure' around my eyes and have problems focusing when there are off - even after a few hours of removing them. Seems that things are worse than before!

Is this common when you get glasses first. I am concerned about damaging my eyes further, as I have never had a problem with my vision only tiredness when on the PC. All help appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Plek Trum wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I started wearing my glasses on Monday, very slight correction for computer work only, everything else is fine. The problem is that I feel a constant 'pressure' around my eyes and have problems focusing when there are off - even after a few hours of removing them. Seems that things are worse than before!

Is this common when you get glasses first. I am concerned about damaging my eyes further, as I have never had a problem with my vision only tiredness when on the PC. All help appreciated, thanks.

Sometimes when u get new glasses they're a bit too strong for u and your eyes actually have to get worse before they're comfortable, which could be what's happening to u.

I used to go to an optician that always gave me stronger glasses everytime i went in and i personally think he made my eyes worse because for the first few days my eyes would feel funny until the got bad enough to get used to the new glasses.

If u go back to your optician he/she will probably tell u the glasses are perfect. I'd advise u to only use the glasses when necessary and spend as much time as u can NOT wearing them, that way your eyes won't get lazy and u hopefully won't end up being dependant on glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Cheers for that. will keep it in mind.
    Like your Rilo Kiley sig by the way - saw them, live at Electirc Picnic last year, great set!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Plek Trum wrote: »
    Cheers for that. will keep it in mind.
    Like your Rilo Kiley sig by the way - saw them, live at Electirc Picnic last year, great set!!

Was actually only this year i started listening to them, dunno how i survived so long without them !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Zorba wrote: »
    Sometimes when u get new glasses they're a bit too strong for u and your eyes actually have to get worse before they're comfortable, which could be what's happening to u.

I used to go to an optician that always gave me stronger glasses everytime i went in and i personally think he made my eyes worse because for the first few days my eyes would feel funny until the got bad enough to get used to the new glasses.

If u go back to your optician he/she will probably tell u the glasses are perfect. I'd advise u to only use the glasses when necessary and spend as much time as u can NOT wearing them, that way your eyes won't get lazy and u hopefully won't end up being dependant on glasses.

Did you hear that story down the pub? :rolleyes:

Plek Trum

Before you wear glasses what your brain sees appears to be normal. After you put on corrective lenses. The brain for the first while thinks this is wrong until it gets used to the clarity.

Why would you want to spend your life in a blur? You won't worsen your eyes if anything you will relax your eyes and giving yourself less strain wearing glasses.

You don't get dependant on glasses your brain gets to like the clarity

If you feel they are still troublesome go back to your optician just to recheck they will probably tell you what I've written

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

New glasses or first time glasses in particular, can be very disorientating for a while. Every time I get new lenses, even though they're the right ones, they give me headaches for the first week, the ground seems to tilt towards me, and my sight feels very strange for a few days.

This does not mean that the lens strength is wrong - it's just an adjustment period. I would suggest wearing your glasses while on the PC at all times, and for driving too, if you need them. It's better to be dependent on them and have clear eye sight and eyes which are not placed under strain than to try to use them now and again in the view that this will somehow preserve your natural sight.

The switch over period you speak of will pass in a week or two. In the long term you'll find that getting glasses has not worsened the problem, but fixed it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement