Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science - DN030

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Bob.

just going into comp sci (030) and ive looked at my timetable, its mostly maths and physics, only 1/4 of the timetable is computers, did i mess up in the module selection or is that just the way it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Johannyogibear

Well in the first semester, I would say that is the case, because from memory in first year you have to pick 3xMaths, 1xScience(i.e your physics), 2xElectives and your 6xCompsci. In the first semester you would have more labs/tutorials in physics and maths than you would in the compsci subjects, Intro to programming(comp10010) and Algoritmic problem solving(10030). Assuming your doing two maths and your Science subject in the first semester you would have 12hrs maths/science including labs and only 6hrs(i think, forget if algo has a tutoral every week) including labs of comp sci, also remember the timetable that is online may not contain lab times for all subjects. The lecturer in the first class will explain the times of labs if necessary. This explains the difference in hours, but it flips in the second semester with the four compsci subjects each having a two hr lab associated with them. If you have anymore questions, i'll try and answer them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

While the computer science bunch are posting here i thought i might ask, Any of you guys have any advice regarding the comp3xxxx electives going into 3rd year, there's quite a few available ranging from unix programing to AI, games and puzzles...

Unix Programming as far as I can tell was called Operating Systems 2xxxxx last year - its the exact same as what we did in that and its gone from the electives list now.

It was very hard if you didn't go to lectures and required a good bit of work, but the final exam was open book and worth 20%. 80% for assignments which you had been 1 week-1month to do depending on the assignment

Advertisement