Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAT TYPE - BT Broadband

Options
  • 20-08-2008 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

With some difficulty I managed to finally change my Nat Type from 2 -> 1.

I have BT broadband and basically just set up wired connection over PPPoE protocol using ISP's supplied username and password. I had to change network type from PPPoA to PPPoE to get this to work. Any downfall with doing this?

Is it true that a wired connection is more reliable than wireless connection for playing games online?

Anyway previously on Nat Type 2 i.e accessing Net through router the IP address of my PS3 was 192.168.0.2 - after doing the above (connecting to net directly through ISP) it's something completely different.

Main Question - Will I know have to forward all TCP and UPD ports needed for playing game online from this 198.162.0.2 -> this new IP address? And what if BT brodband does not use a Static IP.

Can someone also please explain why playing games online will be less laggy over NAT Type 1 Vs Type 2?

Last Question - when hosting a game is the speed dependent on your download or upload speed and what speed would be acceptable for smooth gaming.

Thanks.

EireEV

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

EireEV wrote: »
    I have BT broadband and basically just set up wired connection over PPPoE protocol using ISP's supplied username and password. I had to change network type from PPPoA to PPPoE to get this to work. Any downfall with doing this?
    Afaik one is more efficient than that other. Less overheads etc.

I think the drawback to that is that the pings are higher.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

EireEV wrote: »
    Can someone also please explain why playing games online will be less laggy over NAT Type 1 Vs Type 2?
    You could have helped people out by posting this too... no one knows wtf nat type 1, 2 and 3 are.

• NAT Type 1
      You are either NOT behind a router/firewall OR you have already DMZ enabled your PS3. Your PS3 is connected properly and you shouldn't run into any issues.
    • NAT Type 2
      Your PS3 is connected to a router. Your PS3 is connected properly and you shouldn't run into any issues.
    • NAT Type 3
      You are behind a router/firewall. While your PS3 may be able to connect to the PSN and perform downloads/updates other functions may not work as intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ++E*s++

what is the username and password for bt broadband?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

++E*s++, learn how boards works before posting, DO NOT DRAG UP OLD THREADS
    thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement