Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lying On Your CAO

Options
  • 20-08-2008 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Jst thought I'd mention this here, although it's too late for this year's graduates, maybe next year's can use it.

It seems the CAO or the colleges don't ask your for proof of nationality, so if you're not an Irish citizen you can still get Irish EU fees in college if you say you're Irish.

I discovered this when I said I was born in the USA (note the CAO does not ask your nationality; it asks where you were born), and received a bill for 20,000 in my first term at UCD. I was incensed, as I've been living in Ireland non-stop since 1987 and have been an Irish citizen for most of this time. I accused them of being racist for assuming that being born outside Ireland meant you weren't Irish, and they apologised and withdrew the fees. I can only assume it works the other way around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

:rolleyes: Good job...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Because it's racist to assume that if someone isn't born in Ireland, then they're not Irish. Well done.

I realise that charging foreigners exorbitant fees is not the most fair of things, but that's the way the system works, and what you're suggesting is likely to get people into serious trouble down the line once someone asks them for proof of nationality, so we'll be having none of it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

theozster wrote: »
    I can only assume it works the other way around.
    Just to clarify here, that "theozster" has made an incorrect assumption, in case anybody was under that impression.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement