Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weirdos on the bus

Options
  • 20-08-2008 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

We've all met weirdos on the bus - any stand out for you>

So when I was in 1st year in college I lived in digs out near UCD but stayed some weekends at my uncles in Blanch.

So one Sunday night i'm waiting for the 39 out there and this guy comes up to the bus stop. Bent double holding his chest huffing and puffing. I though "**** this guy is going to die at my feet" i asked him was he ok and he said he was fine he was justhaving an angina attack gut he'd be grand. So i said "Oh um okay" and we stood there for about 10 mins him weazing away, me praying for the bus to come.

It finally arrives and i get on. Sit up near the front near the driver and yer man plonks himself down beside me. He's got his breath back at this stage and starts telling me what a wonderful caring girl i am and how I have a lovely aura and that he'd like to take me to lunch and points out every pub and restaraunt we pass by saying "That's a lovely place i 'll take you there"
    Then he starts telling me his lifestory. and showing me te scars on his neck from where his wife tried to slit his throat.

I knew i was going to have nearly an hours wait in town for my next bus out the other side and I was thinking how the hell am I going to shake this dude when we get in.

but he got off the bus before town. Outside Grangegorman. I reckon he was weekend release.

That was my first encounter with Dublin Bus weirdos. There's e en dozens more since.

Between that and the story i was telling last night, its a wonder I didn't run home to my mammy my first month in college!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

A few years ago out in Blanch, I met this caring girl at a bus stop.
    I was having an angina attack at the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Magpie!

:eek::eek::eek:

I waited and waited at that stop for you. i thought you were my knight in shining armour who'd buy me a slap up meal in the Bell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Ha ha ha i wonder how many people we talk about here recognise themselves in the story!

Bus weirdos-ah they are many!!! I met one guy who claimed he was a hairdresser and sat behind me. He just kept stroking my hair and breathing very heavily. I got off the bus after about 5 mins, no way was getting to work on time that important to me ;)

I met another nuttie on the nightlink, claimed he'd fallen in love with me and he was positive that i was aphrodite reincarnated. He then went on to tell me all about his hindu roots and how i'd have to become hindu too and planning dates for me to meet his mother and his family. He then got very cross when he mentioned his brother and said his brother might try to 'steal' me but i was not to go, i was his and that was that. He got off the nitelink at my stop and followed me home, he kept trying to kiss me and grab me. On the bus i was blocked in and he never asked my opinion so i looked at the window and stayed quiet but on the walk home i freaked out and pushed him away and started screaming. To which he said he'd call me later and ran!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭piscean

A good 10 years ago was on the bus home from work, was the last bus because did a nightshift in a shop in town.
    The whole bus was empty and this guys gets on the bus and sits beside me - he starts going on about needing a friend and tries to give me a holy medal as a token of our friendship. Told me I had enough friends and lucky enough my stop wasnt too far so got off the bus and lucky enough he stayed on the bus.
    When I got home I burst into tears - my poor mam didn't know what to think.
    The next few nights my dad met me off the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

LolaDub wrote: »
    Bus weirdos-ah they are many!!! I met one guy who claimed he was a hairdresser and sat behind me. He just kept stroking my hair and breathing very heavily. I got off the bus after about 5 mins, no way was getting to work on time that important to me ;)

When did that happen? I wonder is it the same guy who did that to a friend of mine? About 15 years ago she was on the 25 into the city centre and a man got on at Palmerstown and sat behind her telling her she had lovely hair and how he'd like to cut it for her. Stroked her hair for the entire journey. She got off at Abbey Street, ran through Arnotts, up Henry street into the Ilac centre and eventually emerged in Moore Street before skulking up to Easons on O'Connell street in her efforts to shake him off :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Stroked her hair for the entire journey.

WHY oh why would she let him do this? Tell him firmly not the touch your hair, next time he does it, threaten to call the police for assault. You might not actually do that, but whatever it takes to get rid of a creep!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Malari wrote: »
    WHY oh why would she let him do this? Tell him firmly not the touch your hair, next time he does it, threaten to call the police for assault. You might not actually do that, but whatever it takes to get rid of a creep!
    Ah she was only about 17 back then, very sheltered and very shy. She was terrified and thought that ignoring him would make him go away. These days, the same woman is 32 and wouldn't take crap from anybody! :D:D

It's funny how nobody on the bus asked her if she was okay or told the slimy fecker to get lost. *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Ah she was only about 17 back then, very sheltered and very shy. She was terrified and thought that ignoring him would make him go away. These days, the same woman is 32 and wouldn't take crap from anybody! :D:D

It's funny how nobody on the bus asked her if she was okay or told the slimy fecker to get lost. *shrug*

I see, I would have been freaked out too if i was only 17! I don't know if I would interfere if I saw it happen to someone else though. Except maybe suggest she move to a spare seat!

It was a southside to town bus about 8 years ago i'd think? Thats crazy that this sort of mentalness keeps happening. I think people like that know younger people don't have the confidence to tell them to get lost and will just stay quiet in fear. Its horrible how people don't look out for each other anymore but as of recently i can understand a bit more.

My brother was in marbella a few weeks ago with a big group of lads, some went onto a club and a few including him stayed back to look after one who was really drunk. The other lads said to my brother they were going back to the apartment anyway so my brother went onto the club. On the way there he sees a girl(irish) getting the crap kicked out of her by a guy, went over to tell the guy to stop but the guy was a drug dealer(spanish) and him and his friend(english) dragged my brother onto the beach and beat the crap out of him. They then robbed his wallet and took him around several atms trying to get him to give them his pin no which he wouldn't. Then they bundled him into a taxi and took him up some mountain. When they got out the spanish guy was sending the taxi away and the english guy told my brother to run for his life which he did and hid in someones garden for 4 hours before venturing out to try get back.

Throughout this nobody tried to help, said anything, called a bouncer or even the police over. I was shocked by this but people live in fear for their own necks now. The days of strangers helping you are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Guy gets on, comes upstairs, strips off his pants then, naked from the waist down leans over and asks me if I have a light. I said "no" and returned to stairing out the window (had seen his reflection as he stripped, hence how I knew, but hadn't realised he'd taken everything below the waist off!:eek:) and ignoring him.
    So don't worry ladies, the mentally unhinged are equal opportunists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

I always get loonies on public transport. ALWAYS.

The worst one (but with a happy ending) was this guy who sat in front of me with seriously pin-headed pupils and then told me how he was on his way to Killiney Hill to "lie on the grass and just be at one with everything". He asked if I'd been to the U2 concert and when I shook my head he said "I REALLY wanted to, but I was in the 'Joy at the time and they wouldn't let me out for the day. I was ragin'...", I nodded politely and he then asked me if I'd ever done heroin. I shook my head mutely and he went on to tell me never to do it, that it screws up your life etc. etc. He told me his life story (foster homes, troubled childhood) and finally it was my stop.

"I have to get off here" I said nervously. He nodded and stuck out his hand. "Thanks for listening, you just had such a friendly face and I needed to talk to someone. This is my first time out in years. I'm not going to screw it up this time".

I stopped feeling terrified and just felt pity. I shook his hand and wished him luck and got off. I still think about that particular loony from time to time. He wasn't really so loony after all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Dinxminx wrote: »
    I always get loonies on public transport. ALWAYS.

The worst one (but with a happy ending) was this guy who sat in front of me with seriously pin-headed pupils and then told me how he was on his way to Killiney Hill to "lie on the grass and just be at one with everything". He asked if I'd been to the U2 concert and when I shook my head he said "I REALLY wanted to, but I was in the 'Joy at the time and they wouldn't let me out for the day. I was ragin'...", I nodded politely and he then asked me if I'd ever done heroin. I shook my head mutely and he went on to tell me never to do it, that it screws up your life etc. etc. He told me his life story (foster homes, troubled childhood) and finally it was my stop.

"I have to get off here" I said nervously. He nodded and stuck out his hand. "Thanks for listening, you just had such a friendly face and I needed to talk to someone. This is my first time out in years. I'm not going to screw it up this time".

I stopped feeling terrified and just felt pity. I shook his hand and wished him luck and got off. I still think about that particular loony from time to time. He wasn't really so loony after all...

Awh. What a nice compliment in a round about kind of way!

Was a strange conversation but you really dont know whats going on in peoples lives or how hard they had it etc. I bet if i struck up a conversation with someone they would think i am a looney :D

When i was younger an old man tried to feel my boob and put his hand on my leg on the bus. I was shaking and crying when i got home. I blamed myself as i said he looked a bit lilke sean connery. I certainly was not chatting him up but he obviously got the wrong idea! I do not tell people who they look like anymore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Trinity1 wrote: »
    Awh. What a nice compliment in a round about kind of way!

Was a strange conversation but you really dont know whats going on in peoples lives or how hard they had it etc. I bet if i struck up a conversation with someone they would think i am a looney :D

When i was younger an old man tried to feel my boob and put his hand on my leg on the bus. I was shaking and crying when i got home. I blamed myself as i said he looked a bit lilke sean connery. I certainly was not chatting him up but he obviously got the wrong idea! I do not tell people who they look like anymore :D

Lesson learned then? :p

Just because you said he looked like sean connery doesn't mean he actually was sean connery!!! People say i look like jessica alba (i don't) but i don't go around pretending i'm an engineered superhero!

Just because you said he looked like sean connery doesn't mean he actually was sean connery!!! People say i look like jessica alba (i don't) but i don't go around pretending i'm an engineered superhero!

Jessica Alba! You must be a stunner :)

My uncle told me when i was about 12 that i looked like Sharon from Eastenders. My nana gave out to him. It was in the 80's and I never forgot :(

I'm really not and i have no idea how this has stuck with me! My picture is on the ladies pics thread somewhere but if you look keep your puke bucket handy!

I'm really not and i have no idea how this has stuck with me! My picture is on the ladies pics thread somewhere but if you look keep your puke bucket handy!

Ah stop outta that :)

Dont suppose you know what page its on i am kinda the lazy type :D

Trinity1 wrote: »
    Ah stop outta that :)

Dont suppose you know what page its on i am kinda the lazy type :D

You'd make a terrible stalker....here is a tip from the expert.:D
    On the Index page, click on the number of replys on that topic.
    It brings up a pop up of link by username ordered by most post.

Your cool looking Lola. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

I met one guy who claimed he was a hairdresser and sat behind me. He just kept stroking my hair and breathing very heavily.

I had a similar experience with an old man drinking gin on bottom deck of a near-empty bus home from town, he started stroking my hair and pulling little strands of it (was he trying to clone me or what?!) and breathing down my neck.. I moved to the window seat and pulled my hair over one shoulder then he started pulling the hairs at the nape of my neck. I moved two seats up and he followed me! I'd been in La Senza buying a surprise for my OH's birthday the following W-end and he obviously read a message over my shoulder which was the OH asking "Well, how did you get on?" or something like that and this oul lad obviously put the LS bag and text together and growled "I wonder how you did get on... sexy" I got up and got off at Liffey Valley and waited for the next bus... CREEPED OUT!

There's also the drunk guy who likes to write poems about Mary Magdalene and smoke hash on the top deck... Frequents the 67 and 25a? Anyone else met him?

I had to mind a sister redhead on the bus one day.
    This asian man was stroking her hair, and saying nasty things.
    Then he cut some off!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

There's one guy who practically lives on the 66 bus, he's small, old, grunts and growls to himself, and scratches his little baldy head til it bleeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

My bus is disgracefully normal, it always makes me sad when people tell (cool or weird) bus stories :(

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've had several experiences with weirdos on the bus, I think I must give off some sort of vibe that attracts them or something. Weirdest one I ever had was waiting for my bus home from work when I was in Sydney. There I was sitting at the bus stop and this guy weaves up to me with a coke bottle full of clear liquid (which smelled like paint thinner btw), and asked me did I have a light. I said I didn't smoke, hoping that he'd just go away. Then he started asking me for directions to the Sky Tower (it's a sort of space needle thing in the city centre), I tried my best to give him directions, bearing in mind that I was a tourist, and he still wouldn't leave me alone.

So at this stage, I was getting seriously creeped out, he was quaffing mouthfuls of the turps or whatever it was in the bottle, and I was just praying he didn't manage to find a light for his ciggie cos I was convinced if he lit it he'd blow up! Then he starts telling me that he'd escaped from prison in Tasmania and was on the run from the law in Sydney. He said he'd got two people living in him and one was a criminal and they sent both of them to prison. Then he said that they'd gotten rid of the dangerous one but they still wouldn't let him out. Then he turns around to me and starts pointing to this non-existant scar on his neck and goes to me "D'ya see that scar there?" "Erm....yes?" said I, "Yeah" he says "that's where me other head was, but they cut that off in prison!!" OMFG!!!!! So I just jumped on the next bus that came to the stop, ended up totally lost in the middle of the suburbs and got a taxi home! Fun times!!

Thanks moonbaby! I look nothing like jessica alba though and i have no idea how people got that! Toots sounds like you got a keeper there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

hell, at least you get told you look like somebody decent looking..... im told i look like Liza Minnelli(no offence moonbaby!!) all the time, and it bugs the bejaysus out of me!!!

She was very pretty in cabaret i thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I just think shes gammy looking, especially now, but even then aswell;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Arrrgh! I too have a weirdo magnet.

The 'life story' ones are pretty harmless most of the time, the tourists are ok as long as the conversation sticks to landmarks and museums and away from 'can i stay on your couch?', the smokers put out the cigarette/joint 99% of the time when asked nicely, the religious conversion types are what they are (the mormons are scarily polite)......my main problem is with the silent masses who do nothing when they see someone being bothered.

I can remember a few randy goats trying to stroke my leg/hair when i was younger (i must have lost my looks - nobodies tried anything on the bus for ages), and not a soul lifting a finger around me as i loudly said "stop touching me/take your hands off me" and moved away from them.

Am i crazy in asking the smokers to stop, the pervs to keep their hands to themselves and the spanish teenagers to stop screaming across the bus to each other? Because, if i see nobody else objecting to this, then i'm the one behaving out of kilter and away from the norm.

(note, i'm not a loony vigilante type with a death wish, i don't get in people's faces, and i wouldn't say things usually if the person is between me and the stairs)

On a happier loony bus people note, i knit a lot on long-ish Dublin Bus journeys, and lots of times haven't noticed the person sitting beside/behind me staring fascinated at it, but have been told a good few times by people that "my mother used to knit, it was nice to watch someone doing it again".

Are you the crazy knitting lady who screams at students?

;)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Thanks moonbaby! I look nothing like jessica alba though and i have no idea how people got that! Toots sounds like you got a keeper there!

Oh yeah, he was great alright!! Wonder if he ever did make it to the Sky Tower....

Advertisement