Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant CRS 3 gears slipping

Options
  • 20-08-2008 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Folks, any assistance would be appreciated please,
    The Mrs has a giant CRS 3 and the gear slips on the back wheel, generally between cog 2 and 3 , assuming the biggest cog is 1, sorry if I am counting from the wrong cog.
    The gear will slip without much pressure on it all.
    There is an adjuster at the gear beside the pedal, I have tried this, but makes no difference.
    Should I try the adjuster at the back gear mechanism.
    The bike is new, but handier to try and adjust it myself than go back to the LBS if possible.

Any ideas please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

This is common with new bikes. The gear cable stretches after a bit of use, so the gears need to be adjusted. Usually the bike shop will do this for free (if you bought the bike from them).

To try it yourself, loosen the alan key nut on the back mechanism (rear derailler). Tug the gear wire through a little bit. Re-tighten the nut and check the gear changing. Try again if not perfect. If you can't get it exactly right doing that, you'll need to adjust a bit more.

Go through the instructions on this website:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

It can be a bit finicky, but it's fairly straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Have a look at this and related links to get an idea:

Rear derailleur adjustment has to be done in sequence for best results so listen to what the man says ;)

Here;s the link if the inline isn't working

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ

EDIT - remember which screw is which if you're working with the bike upside down.

Advertisement