Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Hotels

Options
  • 20-08-2008 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I was thinking of going down to Galway for a weekend at the end of september with my girlfriend and was looking around for good value hotels. The only problem is that the hotels are veging on extortionate! For the price I am being quoted to stay in a hotel reasonably close to the centre of galway I can get flights and hotels around europe.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel, preferably in the centre of the city that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

The Harbour hotel is normally ok on price, its close to the city center too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭pokerkingsni

Give The Westwood a try as well. Nice hotel with decent rates. Only about a ten minute walk from the town.

Theres the usual suspects in town, Raddisson, Travellodge etc.

Also i stayed in Ardilaun Hotel on Taylors hill, very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If price is important you might just go for a B&B on College Road. Most charge around 35 pp.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

house hotel- very central.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

House Hotel is central and fab if you can afford it,otherwise i would stick with a college road b+b..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

Harbour hotel is apparently booked out & House hotel is €300 per night.

Seems a bit expensive. I'm not exactly looking for a b&b either. €100-150 per night would be my limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

well, you might have happened to pick the weekend of the oyster festival (25th to 28th Sept)?

That would explain extortionate rates...Try a different weekend if you can - it might be cheaper then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

That solves it! I looked around the web to see if there is anything on that weekend. I saw mention of the oyster festival but read that it was "mid september" I thought you were just a pile of rip off merchants! ha!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Relevant wrote: »
    That solves it! I looked around the web to see if there is anything on that weekend. I saw mention of the oyster festival but read that it was "mid september" I thought you were just a pile of rip off merchants! ha!

You would'nt be far off when it comes to galway hotels, they are among the most expensive in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Relevant wrote: »

no that would be dublin ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Lainabaina

Also i stayed in Ardilaun Hotel on Taylors hill, very nice indeed.

Think the Ardilaun is a bit hit and miss :/ I went there on a recommendation with my boyfriend (and after getting a good deal on hotelclub.com) but our sheets were dirty, our walls were dusty, our room was dark and accessible through the garden or by a long and winding indoor trek. Complained to the manager but they didnt have much to say about it. :mad:

Pool was nice though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

There are a few nice hotels in Salthill that will probably beg you to stay with them. Try the Warwick, Galway Bay (4*), Waterfront or Salthill Hotel. All are on a busroute to the city and are of a decent standard.

Salthill is 2KM+ from city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

OP check out the supervalu breaks on www.supervalugetawaybreaks.com You can book a weekend, 2 nights B&B and dinner on one night or 3 nights midweek for €99pps. I haven't checked availability.

I stayed in the Days Hotel 2 weeks ago using this offer, July and August are €119pps

If you can get one of these deals and need a book of stamps I can send a book on to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Go to a good city in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Try the Galway Arms on Dominic Street - they do B&B and are very central.

Advertisement