Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War wounds

Options
  • 20-08-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

I don't think we've had an index of wounds before! In conjunction with the near misses thread, this will probably scare away any potential cyclists, but nonetheless, it's fun!

My only real damage was the recent fall off a mountain bike coming down a road and taking a bend too fast. bad cut, 6 stitches. Still can't cycle with it! Minor elbow whack before that when on the mtb in balinastoe, serious pumping of blood. This encouraged me to carry a few bandages and wipes in my saddlebag which came in rather useful with my more serious arm slicing.

Commuting, I've never fallen off the bike (*jinxed*!!) so no damage.

So what has everyone else done to themselves? Particularly interested in what mountain bikers have done, so as I can scare myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Pretty lucky, touch wood. Only really had one off, commuting earlier this year, the rear left passenger door on a Taxi opened and knocked me off the bike. I normally give cars a wide berth, but it was on the right on a one way street and I was sleepy and rushing, not a good combo.

As the door clipped the bars and I fell in slo-mo, I remember thinking 'don't hit your head'. Wasn't wearing a helmet at the time, although had a bouncy woolly hat on. The main thing I remember was the indignity I felt aftewards, lying on the ground, hat went one way, glasses went another, and a shoe came off. Luckily I didn't bang my noggin.

Wound wise, small change really- I banged up my knee pretty badly and bit of road rash on my arm. The knee twinged for a few months afterwards, but is fine now. Main wound was my pride and my false sense of invulnerability. I was in a bit of a daze afterwards, went and sat in a coffee shop and drank something warm and sweet.

Oh, and I bought a helmet after that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Verb wrote: »
    I don't think we've had an index of wounds before! In conjunction with the near misses thread, this will probably scare away any potential cyclists, but nonetheless, it's fun!

So what has everyone else done to themselves?

Verb, that's some can of worms you've just opened!:D

Prepare for a long list of blorg's exploits.:D

And a message to any newbies reading this and the 'Near Misses' thread -
    1. Yes, it is totally worth it.
    2. The benefits outweigh the risks.
    3. Most rides are great fun
    4. Getting to work fast and exercised is exhilerating 99.99% of the time (only exception to this is if you are tired)
    5. Don't worry!!!

As for my injuries;

Crepicus in my knee following a smack from a car in 1993 / Strained shoulder after a spill on wet Luas tracks a couple of years ago / The odd bruise on shoulder/elbow/hip/knee too numerous to mention.

Suddenly that seesm such a pathetic list...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Have some dents on my shin from the studs of the pedals on my MTB when I slipped.

Have a pink patch on my cheek and my forehead from a tumble over a car bonnet and a face scrape along the ground. Thankfully they are fading.

Have a slightly crooked nose from a face plant into the side of a car.

Got a fractured finger from the same face plant.

Have a slight dent/impression in my forehead from an over-the-handlebars moment on my tricycle as a nipper when bombing down my cousins steep drive way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

unionman wrote: »
    Verb, that's some can of worms you've just opened!:D

Prepare for a long list of blorg's exploits.:D

Yes, I'm curious to see what Blorg is going to produce. What other damage he's accumulated that we haven't heard of yet. Perhaps with all the damage, blorg is more machine than man now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Perhaps with all the damage, blorg is more machine than man now.

That would explain many things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Used the aul 'face-brake' when I took a spill descending way too fast - A split chin and badly cut inside bottom lip (where my top teeth entered) for my troubles...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Scar on my chin (hidden by beard) and half a tooth missing (soon to be replaced with a porcelain cap) -both from my first -and only spill on commute

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Well this was Sunday's effort after turning around to look at unionman falling off and forgetting that you can't just stop pedalling on a fixie. (Note there is a bit of blood in that photo but it looks worse than it is.)

Overcooked a couple of corners into thornbushes- one relatively slow, one very fast, lots of blood. Probably would have broken something were it not for the thornbushes though.

Wrote off my Trek 5000 when I misjudged a traffic line, rear-ended a car and went through his back windscreen. Only scratches and bruises that time. My fault there and the driver was very good about it.

Broken collarbone a long long time ago from impact with a lamppost (taught me to look ahead while cycling- until the Trek incident reminded me) and a broken elbow around five years ago when a car rear-ended me.

Have had a few superman-style dives over the handlebars including one incident where a car nicked my back wheel (he turned right as I was overtaking, although I am pretty sure he wasn't indicating I wouldn't be holding myself blameless for that one either.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was knocked down by a cyclist and broke my left wrist and both elbows, since I've never fallen off my bike does being injured by someone else's count?.

OP, you know that you've jinxed all us cyclists in this thread who say we've never fallen, because I'm 100% confident now that tomorrow I'll fall.

:mad:

blorg wrote: »

Euwww Manky !

• Advertisement

Euwww Manky !
    Well you did ask :)

Yes, I'm curious to see what Blorg is going to produce. What other damage he's accumulated that we haven't heard of yet. Perhaps with all the damage, blorg is more machine than man now.
    Raam wrote: »
    That would explain many things.
    blorg wrote: »
    Well this was Sunday's effort after turning around to look at unionman falling off and forgetting that you can't just stop pedalling on a fixie. (Note there is a bit of blood in that photo but it looks worse than it is.)

What blorg isn't telling you is that underneath the blood we saw what looked like titanium hydraulics when the flesh was pulled open. It explains the inhuman cadences he's achieving on those fixed gear descents:D:D

PS - Verb, that was the best opening credit sequence of all time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Scar on my chin from trying do a wheelie on my first proper bike, IIRC it was a "raleigh gresham flyer", although I'm not seeing any decent results for that on t'internet. I think I was about 6. Or maybe 5. Was probably for my 5th birthday now that I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I remember coming off on the Tibradden descent when I was 15 or so. On the rocky part, serious dirt rash on my knee. Cycled home with blood running down my leg and dripping onto the road. I have a scar from that one and an identical matching one on the opposite knee which I can't remember getting. I came off so many times mountain biking that I think I had scarred and bruised shins permanently for about a year.

In my BMX phase, we built dirt jumps locally. There were a few good spills from that one, but I remember once being dared to hit one as fast as I could. I complied, managed to get about six feet of air from a one-foot ramp, but then landed on my back wheel, past the tipping point and tried to break the fall with my forearm. Got a sore arse from that and lost a big line of skin from the tip of my elbow almost to my wrist.

More recently I slipped on a frozen kerb, hit the tarmac at 22mph and tried to stop with my face. Shredded the back of my lip with my teeth but luckily it split the front of my lower lip very cleanly and five stitches later it had healed up nicely. You'd have to be looking for the scar now to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

came off on icy corner one winter and, due to numbness, thought nothing of it. got into school(this was 11 years ago) to find a bloody patch on the knee of my kecks where the cable stop under the top tube had made its mark by gouging its way into the soft spot beside the pattella and on its way out brought a few chunks with it. couple of stitches and there's still a cable stop sized hollow under the scar that you can put your finger tip in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

From a weekend crash i have road rash on my shouder, ebow very large patch on my hip and all down my right leg and i also dont have any skin on the tips of my fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

The perils of messing with fixie chains - spoiler warning: this may spoil your lunch/dinner/sleep:

http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html#fing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

stuf wrote: »
    The perils of messing with fixie chains - spoiler warning: this may spoil your lunch/dinner/sleep:

yuk! but cheers the warning won't go wasted me anyway.

stuf wrote: »

Lovely.

I had my heart broken in 1989.

Nothing to do with cycling but I just thought I'd share the pain...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Lovely.

Hahahaha, nice one. Well at least now you can talk about it now. Somehow though I think this is OT!

• Advertisement

72hundred wrote: »
    Hahahaha, nice one. Well at least now you can talk about it now. Somehow though I think this is OT!

I know. Overcompensating:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

oh i forgot... scar on my elbow from the only time I've been knocked down (stationary at the time! Waiting to go through a roundabout!)
    Not to mention the large dent in my bank account since I started doing more cycling :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I had my heart broken in 1989...

Only the once? Don't get me started... :D

'68 wrote:
    couple of stitches and there's still a cable stop sized hollow under the scar that you can put your finger tip in.
    Cool, internal cable routing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I've a scar on my ankle from a slippy kerb mount that went all nasty and ulceric. That was a bastard. That's about it though.

Lovely.

I remember a disturbance in the force in '89 alright. That was you eh.

[edit] oh dear. Work is making me insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

can't claim this one myself but my da(my cycling mentor) was training out enisskerry way a few years back. typical ar*e up/head down sprint stuff which ended up with a head on collision with the back of a truck...a parked truck. once the concusion faded and all the tendons in his neck had healed he understood why we were p1ssing ourselves laughing.

as for internal cable routing...your a hard act to follow blorg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Dislocated a Finger - which I popped back in and cycled home..

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Broken collarbone - 4 weeks old now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Mine has to be turning a corner going fairly fast and slipping on a wet manhole cover and broke the fall with my eye also wrecked my shoulder and had road rash from my waist to my knee and a bit on my elbow good times

Advertisement