Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing one credit card for another

Options
  • 20-08-2008 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I currently have a Student Mastercard with AIB and I want to change this for the new AIB Visa Click credit card. I was going to just apply for the Click anyway but I'm just after thinking that I dont want to be paying two lots of stamp duty every year as well as stamp duty for my debit card!! :eek: So i'd like to change the mastercard to the click.

Has anyone any notion how i'd go about this?? I've emailed AIB but you know how long that'll take to get a reply!! :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If you get the Click card, you can cancel the Mastercard with them. You don't "exchange" cards as such, but open one and close the other.

AIB should ensure you only pay the correct stamp duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

dlambirl wrote: »
    Hi all,

I currently have a Student Mastercard with AIB and I want to change this for the new AIB Visa Click credit card. I was going to just apply for the Click anyway but I'm just after thinking that I dont want to be paying two lots of stamp duty every year as well as stamp duty for my debit card!! :eek: So i'd like to change the mastercard to the click.

Has anyone any notion how i'd go about this?? I've emailed AIB but you know how long that'll take to get a reply!! :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!!

when you close a CC account you can request a letter confirming that you have closed the account and stamp duty has been paid. This can then be forwarded onto your new provider so that you don't pay it a 2nd time.

Seeing as you are closing one AIB CC account and opening another I assume they'd do this for you (i.e there would be no need to request the letter etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

No you shouldn't need the letter, but I would still contact them to confirm that you have done everything correctly and that the stamp duty will only be charge on 1 card and not both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

just an update guys,

applied for the click card online and emailed them saying that i wished to upgrade my mastercard to the click card and AIB emailed me back within 20 mins saying that was ok that they would issue the new card and terminate the old one and transfer the balance on the old student mastercard to the new card.

Advertisement