Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Germans are boring

• 20-08-2008 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Anyone else notice that German metal-heads are boring?

At Wacken, during all the best moments of all the best bands, all they did was stand there and listen to the music. The entire time I was there I saw only one moshpit, and everyone around the edges was yelling at the people in it to stop.

It's put me off ever going again.

I also went to M'era Luna gothic festival, and I can tell you German goths know how to party.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Go to Rock am ring, lots of movement in the crowd there. went there this year and the crowd was great during every band i seen.Great fest altogether really!

examples
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UCu4ut1__4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX44Hc76lH8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWUjLRZAaC4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Nothing wrong with standing around listening to the music ! Surely thats the reason you're there in the first place, to listen to the band ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Its crazy the attitude you get off some people if you are not moshing/headbanging etc, just actually LISTENING TO THE MUSIC, especially if you don't have a drink in your hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What a ridiculous thread... Let people enjoy music they way they want to! I know for one, I don't mosh, and if that makes me boring, or German, who cares? I'm enjoying myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

You pay god knows how much for a ticket, god knows how much for travel, ditto for beer, food and possibly drugs and because its [grrrr]METAL[/grrrr] then i'm supposed to be in a circle pit too? are you like 12 or something op??

grow up. i find no attraction in moshing, i've always thought it was childish even when i was one myself.

does no one else see the irony?? "we're all mates in the pit, but i'm still gonna batter ya"

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

That's a rather sweeping statement. Yeah sure a lot of them like to stand around and listen to the music but they're far from boring. Did you see all those old people in Wacken village throwing the devil horns and blaring Bloodbath and such from their homes? They were class!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

and if that makes me boring, or German, who cares? I'm enjoying myself.

Which is worse?:confused::confused::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

A real cultural difference between the Irish-Spanish-Italian and the German-Scandinavian types is the coolness of the latter.

The excitable Celt and Latins versus Icy cool Viking types.

The Finns in particular are about as icy cold as it is possible to get.

Been in Finland..utterly unemotional people.
    (Rarely heard a Finn laugh.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Rubbish. I'm a Celt and I'm not easily excitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Of course I shouldn't be making generalisations, but generally speaking...

I'm not even talking about moshing. Just some simple enthusiasm would be nice. Part of the experience in being up front at a concert is moving to the music. There's nothing wrong with not standing still for 2 hours.

And 120 minutes, it is a ligitimate pastime so try not to be so condescending just because you don't like it personally. It doesn't reflect well. Moshing is actually an interesting social phenomena, as the primary objective in to intensify the musical experience by raising adrenaline levels which in turn sharpens senses and gets people excited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

theozster wrote: »
    Of course I shouldn't be making generalisations, but generally speaking...

I'm not even talking about moshing. Just some simple enthusiasm would be nice. Part of the experience in being up front at a concert is moving to the music. There's nothing wrong with not standing still for 2 hours.

And 120 minutes, it is a ligitimate pastime so try not to be so condescending just because you don't like it personally. It doesn't reflect well. Moshing is actually an interesting social phenomena, as the primary objective in to intensify the musical experience by raising adrenaline levels which in turn sharpens senses and gets people excited.

Face it...its just their ways...it really is hard to get the cool Germans excited the same way as you can get us hothead Irish excited.

They do not show enthusiasm.....just cool observation...as you saw for yourself.

(They DO have a sense of humour....but you need to "tune-in" to it.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I have to say I think this is a stupid thread. I have met Germans at a variety of gigs all over part of Europe and North America and just like any other country, you get nutters, quiet Germans, funny Germans, angry Germans and happy Germans. As a people they have a reputation for being dour and efficient but I think that should be taken with a pinch of salt in the same way that the Irish are often viewed as borderline alcoholics :).

I'm another metal fan who doesn't always want to mosh. If I'm tired, hungover or whatever then I won't be jumping around like a lunatic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MadamMe

This is insane - I have been in germany now for 3 months and i love it - they really know how to work but trust me, they take partying just as if not more seriously!! Far from boring - you clearly have not met the right people - its got nothing to do with where you are from . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Boring unresponsive German audience at Coburg, Germany, especially from 4mins 30secs. Yes, even duller than a moshpit.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hey dude. I wouldn't say they are boring, they just very appreciative of the bands that were performing there. Appreciation for the performers first, then the mosh/pit when you're ready for it. Maybe their music wasn't for the pit? Irish and German tastes do differ and since it was an outdoor gig and there was more space to work with it, hence the problem other people had with it. Indoor with a small venue, different story altogether. How did you enjoy the festival overall anyway? Did you enjoy it? I wouldn't let a thing like that get me down. Plenty more opportunities to get stuck in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

djScarey wrote: »
    Boring unresponsive German audience at Coburg, Germany, especially from 4mins 30secs. Yes, even duller than a moshpit.:rolleyes:

/thread. :D

I have that video on my youtube favourites, it's just incredible and always sends me into an incredibly good mood. It was the same when I saw them here a few years back, everyone kept on singing like that, long after the gig had ended. I felt amazing being a part of that, just one of the greatest concerts I've ever been at. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Been thinking about it, and I've decided to post a retraction. It was pretty dumb of me to say that, and all who criticised me were right to do so. Thanks for helping me see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

/thread. :D
    I have that video on my youtube favourites, it's just incredible and always sends me into an incredibly good mood. It was the same when I saw them here a few years back, everyone kept on singing like that, long after the gig had ended. I felt amazing being a part of that, just one of the greatest concerts I've ever been at. :eek:

God they're just a fantastic band - definitely one of my favourite gigs of all time too.. here's the rubbish video I took at that gig. The vocals were courtesy of some random foreign bloke beside me. Really hope H brings them over again - the turnout was really good from what I remember?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB3n-30Oj3o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

I saw soulfly play last weekend at a czech festival, and it was the biggest moshpit I've seen...\m/

Advertisement