Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open sights not fashionable?

Options
  • 20-08-2008 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

Currently thinking very strongly about getting a .22LR rifle again. The gun would be used to shoot targets (in competition with myself) at 25 to 50 metres and the odd rabbit. I am obsessed with accuracy but cant justify the cost of a 1710 Anscutz to myself.
    I saw a lovely cz with an adjustable trigger and bull barrell (cz453?). Was even cut for a silencer, BUT NO OPEN SIGHTS. The chap behind the counter said that most customers would never use an open sight and rely entirely on telescopics. Are open sights no longer 'fashionable'?
    I like the cz452 which has a traditional ramp type sight but I think the gun is let down by its trigger. I have heard you can 'tune' this type also to improve accuracy - how?
    I owned a Unique Dioptra many years ago, a great rifle in every way. I dont think they are available anymore though- correct me if I am wrong.
    Several questions to be answered here and hopefully some debate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

milkerman wrote: »
    Are open sights no longer 'fashionable'?

For hunting and for sporting targets, the scope is now king. For pure target shooting, open sights are still used but in aperture format rather than post and V.

btw, the Unique dioptra is still available: see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I'd like something with iron sites or non-optical to practice with.
    There is just something about using your naked eye without the use
    of maginfication that is apealing for me.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Have a look here for how to install aperture sights on a CZ452. There's a mention of a foresight that clamps around the barrel as well for those who don't have the CZ post foresight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Which CZ model is the one with the tangent sights as standard? I thought it was the 452.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Charlie 22

kowloon wrote: »
    Which CZ model is the one with the tangent sights as standard? I thought it was the 452.

CZ 452 refers to the action of the gun. The cz 452 action has many different combinations of barrels and stocks. The CZ 452 LUX is the one with the open sights and walnut stock as you describe. However there is also a CZ 452 varmint, Silhouette etc. which have no open sights as standard. Then to confuse you more you have the CZ 453 varmint which has a fully adjustable trigger but otherwise very similar to the others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

I have tried every dealer I could find in the country for a Unique Model T Dioptra in .22lr. Although they seem to be still in production there is no longer an agent in the country. This is a pity, 20 years ago my Unique could hold its own against the Anschutz 1422 (forerunner to the 1710) at around half the price and had decent open sights as a bonus and was threaded for a silencer. Why the hell did I sell it?:(
    Weihrauch do a .22lr also. They make a fine air rifle but have never seen their bullet guns. Anyone have any experience with one and where and for how much can they be bought?

Advertisement