Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second Class Full Licence

Options
  • 20-08-2008 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Just a quick query, have they brought in the new laws which require recently qualified drivers to wear R plates (im pretty certain that this hasn come in). Beacause i wast stopped by Garda recently, had a look at my Licence and said id have to get the old R plates up now for awhile, He said he could fine me for not having them up. He could ve just been taking the piiss, still odd enough.

The main question i have is- Do ye have to have the licence for two years before ye can accompany a L-Driver?

And if they have not come in, presumably the restrictions will aply to Licences issued after the date the laws come in..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

no it's not law yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭SeanW

The guard was talking out of his backside. There are no R-Plate restrictions on new licenses (and hopefully the whole lame idea will get binned soon).
    However you cannot accompany a Learner Permit holder as the new laws require an accompanying driver to have held his/her full license for two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

SeanW wrote: »
    However you cannot accompany a Learner Permit holder as the new laws require an accompanying driver to have held his/her full license for two years.

Does this apply to full liceneces issued after the date in july when the new laws were implemented?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭SeanW

No, I think it was a phase out.

I THINK, but don't quote me, that it relates to the license held by the non full licenseholder - i.e. if the learning driver holds a Provisional Licesne that is still in force, you can accompany them, but if they have a Learner Permit, you cannot. It has nothing AFAIK to do with the date of issue of your Full License.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DaveyGem wrote: »
    Does this apply to full liceneces issued after the date in july when the new laws were implemented?
    It now applies to those accompanying all Learner permit and Provisional Licence holders (in those categories where there is a legal requirement to be accompanied).
    • An accompanying qualified person must hold a full driving licence for the vehicle category for at least two years.

Q. When is this change coming into effect?

A. Effective 30 October 2007 for first time learner permit holders and from 30 June 2008 for holders of all learner permits and unexpired provisional licences. The rule in place at present that first, third and subsequent provisional licence holders must be accompanied (but the accompanying person must hold a licence for a period which could be less than two years) continues in force until 30 June 2008. However, only the second provisional licence holders are exempt from being accompanied until 30 June 2008.

• Advertisement
Advertisement