Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Adult Caution

Options
  • 20-08-2008 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I have been in 3 garda competitions, all of which i passed the aptitude tests and interviews. In the first two, I was refused from the commissioners office at vetting stage. I appealed, but the outcome was the same. It is due to a Public Order Offence I was arrested for (drunkenness) 12 months ago in which I received an adult caution. This, combined with a few minor pulse records involving drink-related incidents from years ago, have worked to cause me serious difficulty in being accepted.
    I suppose my main question to you all, realistically, is there much of a chance of any of my applications in the future being successful, or am I just wasting my time?
    While I fully accept responsibility for these incidents in the past, they were due to immaturity and naievity, and all I can do is work forward and try to move on with my life, can these minor(?) occurences hinder my opportunity for the career within the Gardai that I have always wanted?

Any response is greatly appreciated.
    MM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 iceman_kill

I think they want you to wait a few years so that you can prove that you have matured and won't get into any more bother. There is no guarantee that even after a few years and providing you get through all stages that they will accept you but you have shown a strong determination and desire to get into the force with the amount of times you have applied so that won't go unnoticed.

I would suggest that you get involved some way in your community (volunteer at a youth club or football team or something like that). It's a sign that you care about your community and would do your next application no harm. Hopefully after a couple of years, having been well behaved of course!!, you will have proven that you have grown up and would make a valuable addition to An GS.

I hope it works out for you,

best of luck,
    iceman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

Its impossible for anyone here to know whether they will accept you or not, but ill give you my suggestions anyway. I think the key is with your local inspector or superintendant. As the previous poster says. get involved with ur local community and lots of valuable volunteer work. Maybe also try to join the garda reserve to show u are serious. if you prove to them that you have changed ur ways and are of decent character then they should lighten up to you. It may take the two years they mentioned to you but i wouldnt just give up now.

As part of the recomendations, your local sergent makes a few phone calls to previous employers and other ppl associated ith u via community or volunteer work. if they really see you in a good light, thy will let them know, so make sure you got reallly good references.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

Move your address to a different district and get a different inspector process you

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭EimearMCD

There is no point in moving address, sure the guards still have ya on PULSE! I agree with the first two posters, get involved with the community, maybe do a college course and reapply in a few years time. The big recruitment drives are slowing down at the moment, only 150 coming in in Nov and there is word that that will be it for a while. So wait til the next big recruitment drive and in the meantime stay out of trouble :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭munsterman2008

sounds good, am in college at the moment anyway, thanks all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement