Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Career help

Options
  • 20-08-2008 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

This is my first time posting anything on any kind of website but I really need of some help or advice or stories like my own.
    I'm 23 have been in the construction business labouring since i left school, i don;t have much (very very little) computer skills. I want to get out of the construction, and don't know where to start, i am not very confident dealing with people and am very very shy. i was thinking of doing some kind of computer course so i know how to use them. but i don;t know what to do after that

can anyone offer any advice on where someone would start their career or what kind of job i might get with no experience or skill?

tnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

As I see it, you have two options with respect to computer courses - ECDL or a third level college course.

ECDL is for absolute beginners, takes approx 12-15 weeks and is a good grounding in computers (I used to teach ECDL).

If you want to go a longer route, you could start a National Certificate course in an third level college, such as Tallaght, Blanchardstown, DIT, or many of the private colleges.

On a side note, the very fact that you have posted on this forum suggests to me that you have more capabilities than you give yourself credit for. I have seen beginners before who simply cannot comprehend the concept of a discussion based forum such as Boards.ie.

So start thinking positively, you may surprise yourself with what you can do. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Dentalphobe

computer skills will always be an advantage but don't enroll for a 3 or 4 year course in something you feel you 'should' do.

a meeting with a good guidance councellor would help you out so much, you could do tests to find out where your talents lie & find out what direction you are interested in following.

all plc / colleges of further education run good, low cost computers classes, might be a good place to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 stopandstare

I don't know if this would interest you but you could also do AutoCAD in FAS and re-train as a draughtsperson. Your experience in the construction industry will be invaluable in this profession. The course with FAS is 6 months long and you don't need that much computers experience to complete it as tutors tend to be very understanding and helpful. Another positive for this route is that you will get an allowance from FAS to retrain so you are not a broke student! The construction industry is slow right now but if you have interest and enthusiasm you can get work, get a good portfolio together at the course and half the work is done for you! Also there is a period of work placement at the end of the course and that really helps for experience! AutoCAD is used in a wide range of industries and recognised all over the world! Just a thought... best of luck!

Advertisement