Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you find the time to game (those with spouse/partner and/or families)

Options
  • 20-08-2008 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

I'm up till about two most nights to fit it in. Wrecked in the mornings though. Good job I'm on flexi-time too. My wife is usually fast asleep by 11.30.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm a social retard and horrifically ugly, so I don't have friends or girlfriends to steal my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I'm working full time through the Summer and I find if I stay up past 12 I'm destroyed the next day so it's not worth it. So with girlfriend, eating and other stuff that has to be done after work it's pretty damn hard to get a decent session in.
    Roll on college :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I play while she gives head.

obviously.

clearly this is a lie made up for 'teh funneh'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

humanji wrote: »
    I'm a social retard and horrifically ugly, so I don't have friends or girlfriends to steal my time.

What he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Married for the past 2 years. Used to play wow till 5 weeks ago, so that can be 4 hours on a go when doing a raid. She has her TV & goes to bed at around 9:30... i stay up till about 1am in the night and up at 8 next morning. If i was raiding on any night i would have to be at my computer at 6:30.

But saying all that i could not do this like 2 days in a row. So one day on one day off.

But now we have a new baby i have not had time to play. I do load up an odd FPS from time to time. At least its quick and i can quit out any time i want. I wont be back playing wow again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Why did 3 people thank me for pointing out I have a horribly lonely life? It was a cry for help, you heartless b*stards! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've got an understanding GF who lived with me before we starting going out and as such she was well used to my obsession and can't really complain when I'm playing Eve etc.

Having said that I don't play anywhere near as much as I used to although that's down more to the fact that I've other responsibilities now that I'm older. Also, after some 22-21 years of gaming I'm starting to find it all a little samey and for my fave genre the FPS it's been stagnating with shyte game after shyte for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I've got an understanding GF who lived with me before we starting going out and as such she was well used to my obsession and can't really complain when I'm playing Eve etc.

Having said that I don't play anywhere near as much as I used to although that's down more to the fact that I've other responsibilities now that I'm older. Also, after some 22-21 years of gaming I'm starting to find it all a little samey and for my fave genre the FPS it's been stagnating with shyte game after shyte for years now.

TF2 on PC tbh. ;):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

PSP with a set of headphones while she watches "the soaps"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I bought mine a DS. She's addicted now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

CO-OP Games for the win. Mine even has her own Gamertag!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

kyub wrote: »
    TF2 on PC tbh. ;):pac:

A reiteration of the original (not necessarily a bad thing however). I like TF2 for a quick blast but it doesn't exactly blow me away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The other half used to go visit her granny every wednesday so that was my gaming time now she goes on tuesday while i'm at football. She goes to bed early enough as she's got a bit of a commute and i only work around the corner so i tend to play 9-11pm some nights and then at the weekend if she's off doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well, i play wow, and play alot. but i still dont have time to raid. Mine working hours are crap: 11:00 till 21:00. Fecking chefs life.

so i play after work till 00:00 or on days off.

Me and mine GF ( annyversery on september 1st 4 years Woot! ) have our days off different all the time. i have them in middle of weak, she has them on weakends. But as soon as we get day off together we go out.

We live together for last 3.5 years aswell. So she knows about mine addiction :D. And she does not tell me anything about it. So i am prety sorted.

She whatches telly, i play PC. She whants go out, she goes. I whant to go get drunk like an OX with lads, i am there.

Thought i think not alot of Gf are so "okay" with it. But mine bigest dream is , to make her play mmorpgs with me :D .Those couple who play together, ar happiest couple alive :d gamer i mean :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

FreeOSCAR wrote: »

So true. Pity me and the gf are so fond of RPG's - not exactly co-op friendly. Apart from Fable 2, do any co-op RPG's exist?

I have a 3-4 hour window between when I get home from work and sleep time, so I usually fit in some TF2 or play something on my PS3, in between meals and internetsing.

At the weekend me and the gf usually have a little beat-em up tournament or take turns playing single player games. I bought her a PSP and she gave me her fat DS when she got her DS Lite so we play those when we're away. We're both big gamers so gaming always plays a part in our time together, I'd say we have a lot more fun together playing games than other more 'traditional' couple activities like watching a film together.

I've been trying to get her into TF2 but she doesn't like FPS games that much. Hopefully she'll come around during one of the free weekends :D

I'm hoping the Wii and DS will convert more people to gaming so that the barrier between gamers and non-gamers will start to blur. Then I'm sure it'll be a bit easier to make time to game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I've been working a lot this summer so haven't really had much of a chance to play anything. Just been playing quite casually. The bf and I have played through most of Mario Galaxy (I was really ill one day, he wrapped me up in a big blanket, brought me all the hot tea I could want and handed me the wiimote and we just played it all day :) ), Rock Band, a little Mario Smash Football but I sucked at that(GC one was way better imo) and silly little things like that. We've also been playing through some classics like Donkey Kong Country 1(work in progress), DKC3(finished), Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story... We have too many games between us and it's a shame I don't have more energy or time after work to play them :( This thread reminded me to go pick up Dead Rising.

It's more interesting to do something like play a game together than just sit there watching tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Well I met my girlfriend playing Gears of War online so spending time with her usually involves some Gears of War which I guess is killing two birds with one stone! Turns out aswell that she's actually pretty hot and not a butch lesbian with a beard as I had once believed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

NADA wrote: »
    Well I met my girlfriend playing Gears of War online so spending time with her usually involves some Gears of War which I guess is killing two birds with one stone! Turns out aswell that she's actually pretty hot and not a butch lesbian with a beard as I had once believed!!!

Understandable, females on the net always equal pics or stfu.

My bebo page is http://www.bebo.com/JonathanC787 That's us in the photo!PhotoAlbums.jsp?ProfilePhoto=Y&MemberId=4867179863

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

NADA wrote:
    My bebo page is http://www.bebo.com/JonathanC787 That's us in the photo!
    Lol, I play games and have a girlfriend. Look at me! Here's a picture for proof.

• Advertisement

Just answering the guy who wanted a photo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

humanji wrote: »

Same here.

Cept for the ugly part, I'm a ride.

@ NADA you met your GF from playing an online video game? the fck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

If she wants to watch her soaps I'll probably jump on the 360/PC. Obviously not as much gaming as I used to but if there's competitions coming up she knows to stfu and gtfo!!! :)
    FreeOSCAR wrote: »

Eh, what's her gamertag so I can "talk" with her?!?!?!!:pac:

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Same here.

Cept for the ugly part, I'm a ride.

@ NADA you met your GF from playing an online video game? the fck?

Yeah. Playing gears of war when i got an xbox for christmas. Pretty cool ha. My neighbour didn't know you could chat on wan until she net her in my house ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yup there are benefits to being a complete unsocialable hermit these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

My wife works in a DVD shop, and that includes working til 11 3 nights a week. So happy days.

Advertisement