Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert Appeal and cao Question!!

Options
  • 20-08-2008 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hey,
    well i got the points on the button for my first choice course and i accepted it and all that but i was just wondering if i was to appeal a subject i felt i did better in and it went down a grade and i lost 5 points and therefore i didnt have enough points for my course, eventhough i accepted my course would i still have it even though my new leaving cert results would say i wouldnt have the points??

i was just wondering and any help will be appreciated thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 meeney78

i cant because im gonna be away on holidays! ya i know its very rare to go down, its annoying because i got my course but all year ive been getting b1's in english and i felt i had a really good paper on the day and i got a c2 so its more for myself that id b appealing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 meeney78

ya i dunno its probably because i worked hardest on that all year and did outside bruce courses and everything in it. thanks all the same il have a think about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

If you got B1s all year and you thought you deserved much higher than a C1 then it's more likely that you deserved the C2 or higher than anything lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Get your English teacher to take a look if possible.

My English teacher was an examiner too and he said he'd always get a few people who appealed every year that he had to mark down. So it's certainly possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

no offense, but you got your course? whats the point in getting it appealed? in 3 years your leaving cert results wont be anything.. only to get into collage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Im with toxick, if you made your cours then why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

i definately would try to contact your teacher. if they wont view the paper on your behalf, they may have corrected or know someone who corrected, and will have the general consensus on marking for this year. plus they know your previous performance and how mocks were marked etc.
    i know this seems huge to you at the moment considering the work you put in - but if you or your teacher cant view your paper first, then i wouldnt chance getting it remarked.
    at the end of the day the leaving cert is just the stepping stone to the rest of your life...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

meeney78 wrote: »
    hey,
    well i got the points on the button for my first choice course and i accepted it and all that but i was just wondering if i was to appeal a subject i felt i did better in and it went down a grade and i lost 5 points and therefore i didnt have enough points for my course, eventhough i accepted my course would i still have it even though my new leaving cert results would say i wouldnt have the points??

i was just wondering and any help will be appreciated thanks!

Why on earth would you bother? Best case scenario you gain 5,10 points which has no eefect on what you do....Alternatively you drop points and get the boot....

No brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

Teachers can't view your script without you being present.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I think you have to be there in person to view your paper..

at the end of the day which do you want more? your college course or a B in english? I know which i would choose. LC results don't matter once you get to college anyway so I'd say forget about it and move on, it's a means to an end and you got where you want to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You have got the course you wanted, yes?

Go enjoy your holiday and don't be bothering with any appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Katerrrs

But it says in that SEC booklet that details the appeal process that even if you get marked down, you won't lose the course you've already accepted, so go for it i'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Teachers can't view your script without you being present.
    That's interesting... I got a call off my principal today asking for my permission for my French and Art teachers to view my papers. (I think my school wants me to get 8 A1s or something.) I said I'd be away but they could do what they want. She seemed happy enough, she said all she needed was my consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Im almost sure a third party is not allowed to view your scripts without you being present!!!!:eek:

Perhaps im mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Ah well... in their hands. I gave them my permission like, I don't see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Ah well... in their hands. I gave them my permission like, I don't see the problem.

I know! I cant see what problem the SEC has with somebody apart from yourself from viewing your scripts, but rules are rules i guess!

And to OP, DONT APPEAL!!!! You got your course, let it go! :D

Advertisement