Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron, energy levels and all that stuff I don't understand

Options
  • 20-08-2008 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

... maybe you'll refer me to another forum but, here it goes:

I have always had low iron levels ... on the anemic side. I haven't been to the doc for blood tests since I have taken on 'heavy cycling' ...

I am quite tired at the moment and paler than usual. Wondering if that could be related...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have always had low iron levels ... on the anemic side. I haven't been to the doc for blood tests since I have taken on 'heavy cycling' ...

I am quite tired at the moment and paler than usual. Wondering if that could be related...?

I'd go to the doc and get tests done. I did this a few years ago when I was in a similar situation, felt tired and weak. Everything came back fine and it passed. The tests were not expensive, IIRC it was free in fact apart from the GP appointment. Tested a whole load of stuff besides iron levels; cholesterol, I think diabetes and a whole host of nasty diseases. I think the doc reckoned it was stress at the time.

Try to find a doc who has some sort of idea of sports medicine if you can, you don't want one that will just suggest you reduce the cycling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

During my heaviest training and racing period, I was permanantly sickly looking, pale, bags under the eyes etc.... sometimes I lacked energy. I was pushing hard at the time.

It's not uncommon what you are feeling, I was often asked as I ill by people in work which surprised me because at the time I was flying on the bike. It would seem from reading accounts of pro riders that, most tour riders are super fit, but not at all healthy....

Take a couple of weeks off after the Sean Kelly, a few relaxing weekends and chocolate eclairs and you will feel better ! Heading to the doc is not a bad idea either, for your own peace of mind. We put a lot of strain on ourselves doing this cycling lark and it follows that every now and then you will start to feel a bit zapped. If I do a few hard days like a stage race or a tough training camp then I tend to catch every bug going afterwards and even get the odd coldsore...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Take a couple of weeks off after the Sean Kelly, a few relaxing weekends and chocolate eclairs and you will feel better !

You mean like ... 'getting a life' sort of thing? Not sure that will work ...

I am also a not at the same level the best of you guys ... my heavy cycling is probably your easy weekend spins :pac:

I was thinking more: eat liver and beans type of thing ... a piece of chocolate cake does sound appealing though I must say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'd say that there would be no harm in going to the doc (of the right mindset, as Blorg suggests) to see if (s)he has any opinions.
    It might also be worthwhile remembering that taking a rest is as important a part of training as getting out and working. I did nothing over the weekend (apart from eat) and this week I've been flying in and out of work and feeling barely fatigued at all, where I would usually be feeling it a small bit after 3 days. I'm also staying off the bike from tonight until Sean Kelly to make sure energy levels are at a high for the day itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I'm also staying off the bike from tonight until Sean Kelly to make sure energy levels are at a high for the day itself!

You make me sick. ;)

And you'll do the entire SK with a big sloppy grin like you did the Tour of Kildare!!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

For a tasty treat that is high in iron and quite healthy, try eating Thai rarae beef salad. Made from baby spinach leaves and some grilled lean steak, shallots, nuts, cucumber. the dressing is really easy to make. Juice of three limes. 2 spoons of sugar and 2 spoons of fish sauce. Surprisingly light and full of iron. Gives a real energy boost. My wife ate this after giving birth to our first kid, and it really helped in building strength and energy. Try this, (but also see a doctor).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 paintkaz

@ROK ON - thanks for that recipe. I'm dealing with low feritin at the moment and need some interesting recipies to get in some iron.
    @Caroline_ie no harm in having it checked out by GP - its a simple blood test no biggie. I'm told that it makes fitness issues much easier once its dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

You know that if you really are anemic you can get your doc to prescribe EPO. All legal and above board. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

There's a bit about iron here, if you're interested.
    http://www.vegansociety.com/food/nutrition/iron.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

unionman wrote: »
    And you'll do the entire SK with a big sloppy grin like you did the Tour of Kildare!!:D:D
    Big sloppy grin? I don't think so! That would have been a grimace. I was doing the old Indurain trick of masking my emotions behind my shades. :cool: My eyes would have given away the pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

@Caroline_ie :

Get a blood test done. Find out what's kind of levels you have etc. Get advice on how to bring them up. If you already eat a healthy diet and exercise regulary then you should have no problem rectifing any issues that may be found in the blood. You are a female also, so I'm just wondering could your low iron level be contributed to (politly put) womans problems.

I don't race but I cycle a lot and in doing so I get my blood levels checked and a general health check every 6 months to ensure that I'm doing good and nothing is out of the ordinary. The only suppliment I use is a recovery protien drink. After that my diet consists of everything fresh and healthy. All types of meats and veg. Pasta, rice, wholemeal brown bread etc.

Advertisement