Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it me or..........

• 20-08-2008 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

Something strikes me.

Listening to Radio 1 and their coverage of the Olympics,I cannot help but be "interested " I suppose is the word ,in the new found camaraderie between RTE and the boxing fraternity.

Kenny Paddy and Darren,and their extended families and followers, are now on first name terms and bosom buddies with the RTE staff!!

Like, Gavin Jennings and Brian Jennings,and Con Murphy,actually go out to Finches of a Saturday night for a rake of pints and a take away in McCarthys after!!! Never would have thought that, but obviously they do as they are on first name terms,and bosom buddies, with Kenny and his followers.
    Would have put them down as Kiely's of Donnybrook men mesell.

Who would have thunk it!!!

Just shows ya ,even the Flutt gets it wrong sometime!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

What's the point of this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

nobody really drinks in Finches tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Amz wrote: »

A discussion thread on how RTE who ignored boxing and it's followers for yonks,now seem to think that boxing and its followers are flavour of the month.

I am interested in that rather incongruous situation.

I would have thought that was obvious tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

with respect amz, this isn't one of your forums.

I would have thought it was an interesting insight from a cultural anthropological aspect,but maybe I'm too anal about the whole thing.

Definitely as a loyal listener to RTE1, it struck me as strange, in the extreme.

just interested if anybody else noticed and went:eek:

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    with respect amz, this isn't one of your forums.
    With respect tbh, it's not instantly obvious if he was pleased with the new development or disappointed in it.

I don't know why you're making it a "my forum", or "your forum" issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

RTE have always given extensive coverage to the Olympics. Medal winners are bound to get even more coverage. I'm sure RTE have give boxing its fair share of coverage at all times. It's not the draw it once was.

With respect Amz, I indicated I was "interested" in the new found camaraderie and wondered if anyone else who is an RTE1 listener felt the same.

Even Keelin Shanley was waxing lyrical on Drivetime, and I doubt very much if she is a season ticket holder in the National Stadium .

Now nothing at all wrong with all that,it's just that someone like myself, who is a staunch RTE1 listener, would perhaps manage a wry chuckle at the somewhat strange bedfellows this Olympics has thrown together.

I just wondered did anyone else notice the juxtaposition of socio economic arenas forced together by sporting achievement??.

Nothing more sinister than that Amz:)

I never suggested there was a sinister element to your post. It seems people chose to read my initial comment in a certain tone that wasn't intended. Just as your initial post could have been read as being incredibly sarcastic, or quite pleased with the relationship between RTE and the boxers/their associates.

In fairness RTE are fairly rubbish with their Olympics coverage. If it wasn't for the BBC I'd be lost. The BBC while obviously more focused on team GB do give fair coverage to any Irish competitors in their events.

All of the stations, bar perhaps Newstalk, who did, to be fair to them let us know when each of the boxers had qualified for the games etc. are going to jump on this bandwagon. There's little else for them to celebrate when it comes to this Olympic games. I'm fairly sure it was the same back in '92 with our boxing success in Barcelona. Michelle Smith got barely any coverage until she won her first medal, it was all Sonia O'Sullivan in Atlanta 'til she had her stomach upset, then she was almost forgotten and Michelle was the golden girl of Irish sport.

RTE don't care about looking silly for not initially spotting that this was where our success was going to come from, nor do their listeners, they'll happily cling to any medal winner and ride their coat tails 'til the next one comes along. There's nothing new here.

Tks Amz but I'm not going to drag this on.

The point of my thread was not the coverage of Boxing/Olympics by RTE radio.

The point was the amusement I got from excellent broadcasters like Brian and Gavin Jennings,who might be described as D4 types suddenly having to come to terms with a place called Neilstown(not a thing wrong with it)and having to act as if they were familiar with the place and its citizens, and that they were frequent visitors there.

That made me snigger I must say,and I wondered if anyone else got the irony of the situation.

It would appear not :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

With respect tbh, it's not instantly obvious if he was pleased with the new development or disappointed in it.

I don't know why you're making it a "my forum", or "your forum" issue.

because if it were in sports, your statement would have a certain context - you are unsure of the op's reason for posting, bantam could expand and you could decide whether or not to lock the thread. But outside of sports, and taken as a self-contained remark, it could read as you are telling bantam he created a pointless thread. I feel that decision should be left to the moderators - that's why I said it wasn't your forum, as opposed to telling you report the thread if you have a problem with it.

HOWEVER, i accept that you were just looking for bantam to expand his point, and so i apologise. Hopefully you can see where i was coming from tho - it really was nothing personal, just purely to do with the way you worded your post.

Carry on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

rte radio and tv both covered dunnes recent european championship run.Jimmy Magee is a huge boxing fan.Give credit where its due,boxing is a minority sport in this country(unfortunately)and rte promoting the medal winners will only do it the world of good.

On a related note,the Cathal Murray olympics throught the night show is great.He has a good voice,nice demanour and great tunes,hinself and Con Murphy have been bouncing off each other well.
    I know he does the weekend on one early saturday mornings sometimes but i think he woould be great in a regular decent slot.
    Anyone agree(and before some smartarse says it,no im not Cathal Murray:D)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

That made me snigger I must say,and I wondered if anyone else got the irony of the situation.

It would appear not :D
    I'm with you Bantam. Had your thread in mind when, as you said, Keelin mentioned her season ticket. My hob-nob plonked straight into my cha with surprise. The other names mentioned too wouldn't have been the most obvious bedfellows in the past with boxing. Is this a knock on effect of the recession? What next is looming? Myles live from the Moynalty Steam Threshing festival on his own Steamer? Maguirk roadbowling?

P.S Good thread thrown a googly by mods. Oooh the 5star and the 4star had a race...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Thread thrown into some confusion due to some careless wording.

Recognise the Bantams point re strange bedfellows - but have to defend RTE on their boxing coverage - on pro box they have covered all recent Dunne/Duddy and Andy Lee fights comprehensively and in depth with the excellent Darragh Moloney.

Some strange bedfellows all right...nasal Keelan neckin pints in "Movers"..I think not...as indeed some other D4 type staffers cosying up to the boxers families was..frankly nausiating.

As for Magee...does he HAVE to fill every second with shyte....we can SEE Jimmy....we KNOW you are the boxing anorak.......ease off the fcukin stats man.

By the way where was the excellent Jim Rock on the Olympics panel. ?

Advertisement