Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres for VW Passat

Options
  • 20-08-2008 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,

I need two front tyres for my VW Passat (130bhp). There are Dunlop SP Sports (195/55/R16) on there at the moment but they are a bit pricey (€145 fitted) and I am having trouble finding many places round here (Carlow) that supply them.

Can anyone recommend and alternative good quality tyre or should I stick with the Dunlops. Also, does anyone know of good cheap tyre sellers around Carlow?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did you try www.eiretyres.com?

Just note that you will need to factor in the cost of fitting and balancing them locally, seperate. There is a list of centres that will fit them on the site too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

bazz26 wrote: »
    Did you try www.eiretyres.com?

Just note that you will need to factor in the cost of fitting and balancing them locally, seperate. There is a list of centres that will fit them on the site too.

never saw much savings on here especially with jeep tyres & larger car sizes

most of their fitters will match or better their prices & take into acoount of fitting, balancing & old tyre disposal , I have found little or no savings by dealing with them ,

We usually buy about 20 - 30 tyres per year & deal with Limerick or north Tipperary suppliers,

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Hi OP.

I usually put Continentals on mine which are €115 each (afaicr) but Advance Tyres (near the cemetary in CW town) will do 4 for €400. Never had any bother with them and car handles very well.
    I'm sure Harry in there will do similar sort of deal, dunno what the score would be if you were only buying two though.
    I couldn't recommend them highly enough for customer service no matter which ones you choose. You could also try asking this on the Carlow Board;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=954

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Harry's not in Advancd anymore.
    Askea tyres on the O'Brien road had ok prices last time I checked. I wouldn't say cheap but they were ok.

I'd recommend TyreZone in Tullow. They're a newly started business and would appreciate your custom I'm sure. I've had tracking and a puncture repair done in there and the 2 lads are really nice.

here's a link to their info http://www.carlowsoccer.com/TyreZone%2029-02-2008%2001;21;28.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭walshe

Fubble wrote: »
    Hi all,

I need two front tyres for my VW Passat (130bhp). There are Dunlop SP Sports (195/55/R16) on there at the moment but they are a bit pricey (€145 fitted) and I am having trouble finding many places round here (Carlow) that supply them.

Can anyone recommend and alternative good quality tyre or should I stick with the Dunlops. Also, does anyone know of good cheap tyre sellers around Carlow?

Cheers in advance.

also to point out 195/55/16 is the wrong size tyre for your car they should either be 195/65/15 or 205/55/16. the size you have would actually be dearer than either of those 2.

prices in advance pitstop are
    195/65/15 from 85 to 115 each
    205/55/16 from 110 to 145 each
    prices depend on which brand/quality you go for

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Fubble

Sorry for not posting int he last few days, and thanks for all the helpful comments.

I rang around a few places in carlow and not many stocked the one i was looking for. Advance quoted me €145 a pop for the SP1's (they were indeed 205/55/R16) which i thought was pricey.

Hanover tyres quoted be €110 fitted and balanced for the Sport 3000 which i think are a good alternative with good road holding.

Advertisement