Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pedals

Options
  • 20-08-2008 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi all recently purchased a pair of DMT R3S cycling shoes. Need to get some new pedals so was just wondering if you guys have any recommendations. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

I'm lost...

Are these for a road bike or mountain?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

They are road shoes, three hole pattern, so road.

Look Keo are probably the most popular system and have a relatively inexpensive entry-level pedal. After that would probably come Shimano SPD-SL (among the people I know anyway, maybe Time is more popular in serious roadie circles.) Apart from Look, Shimano and Time's systems which I am pretty sure would be the top three there is Speedplay which are bit more expensive but have committed adherents (including Team CSC.)

I'm completely unqualified to advise as I use SPD, Shimano's mountain bike system, but I think I would lean for Look Keo simply as they are the most popular and so you would have easy interchangability, be able to try other people's bikes, etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Speedplays are the most popular amongst serious roadies in these here parts.

I use Keo Sprints though. Super light, they work fine and are great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭crosbie

Thanks for the advice guys. Have Look Keos on the bike at the mo so will prob try to upgrade a bit.... what about the single sided pedals for use with normal shoes also. Never used them are they a bit of a waste of time??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Those pedals tend to be SPD so would be useless with road shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

i find the time RXS/RXE pedals and cleats excellent, very easy entry and exit on the pedal and it feels very tidy, always felt i was on blocks with the old looks.

Also the cleats ive had them 2 years and race alot never had to replace them. would be my recomendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

I have the Time RXE and also find them excellent. Between the fore /aft, angular and float adjustments you can set them up pretty much any way you want them. Cleats are also extremely hard wearing.

Advertisement