Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get support from O2 - Some help required:)

Options
  • 20-08-2008 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭

Got my O2 broadband modem this morning, the security seals were broken on the modem box but all the hardware was there. The is no instruction manual, or cd.

I put the sim in and plugged it in the laptop and was asked for a pin number.

There is nothing in the box to tell you where to get the pin or support, so tried the website and cool there is a support forum.

Registered, was asked for an o2 phone number, which I don't have - I only have a modem (which I suppose could have a number - but no obvious indication that it has a number) so put in my vodafone number - you cant register without putting something in.

To cut a long story short, my account on the o2 forum was deleted
    Unfortunately your registration at Talk2O2 did not meet our membership requirements. This might be due to a number of issue, you may have entered you number incorrectly (also bear in mind this is a forum for O2 Ireland only) your name might be incorrect or there may be sensitive information in your username. Therefore your registration was deleted. If you feel you meet the requirements please feel free to register again.

I am sure its because I don't have/know my O2 number :)

No way to mail them to ask for assistance.

When I ring the o2 Broadband and Data Support line, I get an automated reps one asking me to enter my O2 number again:)

Anyone form o2 reading who might be able to assist me - please feel free to jump in and save the day.

Alternatively if someone knows an O2 contact mail or phone number I can use, that would be great.

I'm probably missing something obvious here, but have wasted enough time today trying to get it sorted... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Return the box along with a receipt & letter stating the box was open and unsealed when you got it. They should replace it. Your entitled to it. (Faulty goods etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I am not bothered about the open box, would like to get the pin number, to get it working so I dont have to borrow a modem for a meeting tomorrow.

The main issue is being unbale to register on the broadband support forum or contact the broadband support team as I do not have an o2 phone number.

There must be a general support contact mail address or phone number out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Would the SIM card not have the number?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Call the 'new business line' and have them transfer you to tech support?

1850 200 741

Full contact details: http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Help+and+Support/Contact+Us/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The number should be printed on the box along with the IMEI. (I think). As for the PIN, the only place it would be is on the slip of paper or manual, which you say wasn't in the box.

• Advertisement

Call the 'new business line' and have them transfer you to tech support?

1850 200 741

Full contact details: http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Help+and+Support/Contact+Us/

I had tried most of the numbers on that page and gave up before getting to the new business number, I tried it again and after being transferred a couple of times got to a very helpful customer service person, who activated the modem and gave me my pin number. So should be up and running by 7:30 tonight.

Thanks all.

Would the SIM card not have the number?

No phone number on the sim card, (there is a 20 digit code - 5 characters on 4 lines - perhaps that is teh mdoems ohone number?) so still cant register on their forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Vexorg wrote: »
    No phone number on the sim card, (there is a 20 digit code - 5 characters on 4 lines - perhaps that is teh mdoems ohone number?) so still cant register on their forum.

Not physically on the card - the number is assigned to the card. If its a standard Sim card could you put it in a phone and ring your own phone with it? Not sure if that would work coz it's a Broadband sim card.

The number is normally on the sticker on the box beside the IMEI no..

Failing that, I doubt you'll have to ring and speak to someone or send it back! :)

All sorted now and the modem has a standard 086 number, which I have recorded safely should it be needed again.

V

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes, I had to ring O2, but I had a number. With the SIM details they were able to tell me the phone number, PIN and "dial up networking" details. I set the SIM to not ask for PIN. If my Laptop + Modem got lost/compromised, someone getting free connection on O2 is the least of my worries.

I don't generally take my Laptop on planes now unless I really have to.

Strangely though my O2 phone SIM was not enabled in Ireland for Internet access (to avoid expensive mistakes listening to R4), when in a mainland European location, the O2 modem would not connect with its own SIM but would with the SIM from the phone. The Modem SIM works the Phone on Internet in Ireland, for cheap browsing, so If your phone and Modem are both locked (usual unless you paid full price), it can be handy if both are on the same Operator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Vexorg wrote: »
    Got my O2 broadband modem this morning, the security seals were broken on the modem box but all the hardware was there. The is no instruction manual, or cd.

I put the sim in and plugged it in the laptop and was asked for a pin number.

There is nothing in the box to tell you where to get the pin or support, so tried the website and cool there is a support forum.

Registered, was asked for an o2 phone number, which I don't have - I only have a modem (which I suppose could have a number - but no obvious indication that it has a number) so put in my vodafone number - you cant register without putting something in.

To cut a long story short, my account on the o2 forum was deleted

I am sure its because I don't have/know my O2 number :)

No way to mail them to ask for assistance.

When I ring the o2 Broadband and Data Support line, I get an automated reps one asking me to enter my O2 number again:)

Anyone form o2 reading who might be able to assist me - please feel free to jump in and save the day.

Alternatively if someone knows an O2 contact mail or phone number I can use, that would be great.

I'm probably missing something obvious here, but have wasted enough time today trying to get it sorted... :)
    my o2 modem also arrived in a box which had the seals broken but i was assured by o2 that this was purely to upgrade the firmware before sending it out and to add the sim card.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

just so people know, the broadband modem should in most cases be treated just like a phone. The modem has an imei (international mobile subscriber identity) just like a phone and the sim that goes in it is the same as any other sim. the only difference is the package you're signed up to, in this case a cheap internet package. You could take your sim out of your o2 phone and put it in the modem and it'd work fine but the price would be insane because that sim isn't signed up to the cheap internet package

the reason i feel the need to mention this is that when the op got the modem and sim the paper the sim was stuck to would have had the pin written on it and if he'd just thought of the modem as a phone he would've realised it was written on the paper and the thread would have been unnecessary. Unlesss of course the piece of paper wasn't provided in which case the staff aren't doing their jobs

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Glad you got it sorted out Vexorg, pretty poor that you were missing that stuff though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Cabaal wrote: »
    Glad you got it sorted out Vexorg, pretty poor that you were missing that stuff though
    with o2 for their online orders they do not send the pin with the modem and sim card for security reasons, you must contact o2 to get it

Advertisement