Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pubs of historical interest?

Options
  • 20-08-2008 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, there's lots of superpubs in Dublin these days but why don't we gather a list of pubs of (local) historical interest that are still around?

I know we've got The Brazen Head that markets itself as the oldest pub in Dublin but what about pubs where Luke Kelly, Ronnie Drew, Paddy Kavanagh and friends hung out? Phil Lynott etc. What ones are still operating as pubs? Where are they? Are they any good today?

Is the Bailey still open? Apparently that's where Luke Kelly and Patrick Kavanagh decided what air should be used for "Raglan Road"?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Matt Talbot gave up the drink outside what is now Cusack's on the North Strand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Although it has undergone many renovations in it's lifetime, The Clock on St. Thomas Street in Dublin 8 was a regular haunt of the United Irishmen. The 1803 Rebellion was almost certainly planned there. This was a great pity because it was full of informers :)... a lesson to all ye latter day revolutionaries.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

spurious wrote: »
    Matt Talbot gave up the drink outside what is now Cusack's on the North Strand.
    Cusack's is one of the gems of the northside. Smashing boozer. Bit of recent(ish)history is that Richard Burton and Liz Taylor drank their socks off there whilst filming down the road. Unsure of what movie but i think only one was appearing in it.
    Yep the Bailey's still there. It also used to have the original door from a buiolding name-checked in ulysses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i have been told on many different occasions that the pub i work in (cross bar, harolds cross) was a local of luke kelly's and that he used to sing there on sunday evenings. it was called healy's at the time. 'bishop' cleary lived on leinster road and drank there too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Conway's of Parnell Street. Used in the filming of The Snapper.
    Sadly, now closed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In the video of Old Town, I'm almost certain that it's The Long Hall that Phil Lynott is having a pint in, so I assume he liked it. :), It's still a great pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

McDaids on Harry street was a regular haunt of Brendan Behan amongst others... I think the Dubliners used to drink in Kavanaghs pub off Stephens Green a lot too.

Conway's of Parnell Street. Used in the filming of The Snapper.
    Sadly, now closed.

It was outside Conways that Pearse surrendered unconditionally to the Crown Forces.

stovelid wrote: »
    In the video of Old Town, I'm almost certain that it's The Long Hall that Phil Lynott is having a pint in, so I assume he liked it. :), It's still a great pub.
    I think it's O'Donoghues on Merrion Row.
    Funny that there isn't any really juicey bits of history from Dublin pubs. Considering their place within society. In England I'd been in many boozers with history bursting outta them. But what with uprisings, invasions etc. in Dublin there isn't really a boozer with a bona fide claim to an historic event.

humberklog wrote: »
    I think it's O'Donoghues on Merrion Row.
    Funny that there isn't any really juicey bits of history from Dublin pubs. Considering their place within society. In England I'd been in many boozers with history bursting outta them. But what with uprisings, invasions etc. in Dublin there isn't really a boozer with a bona fide claim to an historic event.

May I refer you to my two posts above :)?

Also, Robert Emmett was arrested in the Brazen Head. Mrs. Cooney, the previous owner, used to show interested people the door where you could see the marks of the musket butts in the wood.

• Advertisement

boneless wrote: »
    May I refer you to my two posts above :)?

Also, Robert Emmett was arrested in the Brazen Head. Mrs. Cooney, the previous owner, used to show interested people the door where you could see the marks of the musket butts in the wood.
    The Rob Emm is impressive indeed and I didn't know. The others are less impressive. They're OK but lackin a bit of the wow factor. As an e.g. There is a pub in southampton that has Pennants, banners, swords, spears etc. that were left behind in the pub from when HenryV mustered his troops there and gave them a bit of a confidence talk. Now what with the gear that was left behind and story to go with it it makes it a rather historically juicey boozer. My point is that there doesn't seam much evidence to make history tangible in the Dublin boozers. Then again Dublin pubs are much more about talking than doing.

Ah, you want tangible and tactile evidence :). Unfortunately, not many pubs here would have been allowed to display such artefacts due to the nature of the British rule in the first instance and the nature of the troubles in the States history. However, The long Hall has got some 19th century muskets on display. The Brazen Head used to have a mortar bomb hanging over the bar from the period of the Civil War but I haven't been there in a long time so I don't know if it is still there.

For me though, the buildings themselves are the story... I love sitting in the shadow of history.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I'm sure many a thespian has supped in the Flowing Tide in Abbey St.

Degsy wrote: »
    I'm sure many a thespian has supped in the Flowing Tide in Abbey St.
    And still do. I was sitting beside a few the other day. It's a regular haunt of mine. The Castle inn is also a big haunt of the ol'thesps too. Only last month I scared Patrick Bergin outta the castle with my drunkeness. Really. He has a huge head(physically) and is trying to get through re-hab. I was the last person he needed.

I know what you mean Bones and I enjoy the glow too.
    I was drinking in the company of Jerry Lee Lewis in Gleeson's in Booterstown('94ish). More of a claim for me than Jerry Lee.

Next time i'm in there i'll keep an eye out for ya!
    Billy Connelly bought me a pint in Kehoes once(1990 or thereabout),i saw him at the bar and said "get us a pint ya tight git" and he turned around and said "Areeet so" did!

Billy Connelly bought me a pint in Kehoes once(1990 or thereabout),i saw him at the bar and said "get us a pint ya tight git" and he turned around and said "Areeet so" did!
    \
    Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

HAH! Brilliant comment from yourself and brilliant reaction from Connelly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well, I don't know if this is of historical interest.

But back when there was a Holy Hour every day of the week in Dublin City, the first pub outside the "Border" was The Sheaf o' Wheat in Coolock Village, which is only one door down from Kyles. Kyles was inside the city limits, the Sheaf wasn't.

Weird one that.

Is there a blue commemoration sign outside on the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

i'm pretty surepatrick kavanagh drank in the palace bar.

that place is still brilliant, i love it.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    Is there a blue commemoration sign outside on the wall?

No,in the toilet.
    Guiness goes right through him,apparantly.
    Nasty Business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭oclugg

Poor Billy Connolly, every guy that says "get us a drink ye tight git" thinks they're first person to say it to him, and are being really witting and original, how embarassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭cpstears

John Kavanagh's (Grave Digger) lays claim to being the oldest family pub in Dublin - it was established in 1833 and the current family are the 6th generation in the business.

Also known as "The Gravediggers' because of its location next to the Glasnevin cemetery and its attached folk history, this is a genuine Victorian bar, totally unspoilt - and it has a reputation for serving one of the best pints in Dublin. No music, "piped or otherwise". Theme pub owners eat your hearts out.

Graves are primarily dug by hand in Glasnevin Cemetry and Kavanaghs got it's name through this association. It is said that quite a few mourners stopped there prior to a funeral and quenched their grief to the extent that the coffin remained outside the pub forgotten and the burial had to be rescheduled for a following day.

Advertisement